Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288601 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #325 on: June 26, 2012, 09:16:00 pm »
+19

Good Guy Captain_Frisk, in the DS qualifier:

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »
+6

wow, a legitimate Good Guy Greg that's not just playing-to-lose-at-Dominion Greg. Impressive.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »

I +1'd this, but I'd love Frisk to make a post himself, so that I can +1 HIM.
I assume the other banned card was something he wasn't getting either way.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 27, 2012, 07:49:49 am »
+26

I +1'd this, but I'd love Frisk to make a post himself, so that I can +1 HIM.
I assume the other banned card was something he wasn't getting either way.

The banned card was trusty steed.  The updated ban was gold, and I didn't buy it, although I would have for sure.

Edit: Game Link:         
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/26/game-20120626-182126-2077bcac.html

— Captain_Frisk's turn 8 —
         Captain_Frisk plays a Contraband.
         ... pkbrooklyn prohibits Captain_Frisk from buying Trusty Steeds.
         Captain_Frisk plays 3 Coppers.
         Captain_Frisk buys a Duchy.
         (Captain_Frisk draws: 3 Estates, a Copper, and a Curse.)

In retrospect, I should have bought a fairgrounds.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:03:21 am by Captain_Frisk »
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »
+22

On the flip side ...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #330 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:37 pm »
+2

On the flip side ...

On the flip-side of the flip-side, it's somehow almost perversely pleasing to ban copper and curse, when it's the RIGHT play.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:44 pm »

On the flip side ...

I'll have to defer to pkbrooklyn, but I have to assume this was a misclick - or an automatic "hey I just won a tournament - which prize do I want" click.

We all had a good chuckle.  Side note: why does Isotropic even allow specification of a card that can not actually be purchased? 

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 27, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »

On the flip side ...

I'll have to defer to pkbrooklyn, but I have to assume this was a misclick - or an automatic "hey I just won a tournament - which prize do I want" click.

We all had a good chuckle.  Side note: why does Isotropic even allow specification of a card that can not actually be purchased?

I think he said on the AMA that he wanted things to function exactly as written where possible, there was a victory card that counted instances of a card you named, donald wanted it to automatically choose the best one, but dougz says as written you choose a card so he made you pick a card. So in a few places iso will let you do things that you wouldn't normally do because well, you can.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
+6

All Contraband says is "name a card".  Just like Wishing Well.  You can proscribe "Black Lotus" or wish for "the Ace of Spades" too.  Sadly Isotropic's interface does not include a text field for such situations ...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »

All Contraband says is "name a card".  Just like Wishing Well.  You can proscribe "Black Lotus" or wish for "the Ace of Spades" too.  Sadly Isotropic's interface does not include a text field for such situations ...

And this is why it is so funny - that he's gone out of his way to include 1 subset of cards that can't be purchased, but exclude others (all dominion cards not currently in the game)

I think the next time someone plays contraband in real life I'm going to name Phoenix.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 27, 2012, 12:41:44 pm »
+5

And this is why it is so funny - that he's gone out of his way to include 1 subset of cards that can't be purchased, but exclude others (all dominion cards not currently in the game)

I suppose it is because the same logic is used for Wishing Well. It would be more going out of your way to have two different name-any-card functions.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
+2

Black Lotus
$0
+3$
Trash this card

?

(I am a very casual MtG player so not sure if right comparison).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »

Screw that, I'm gonna wish for a Diabolic Tutor.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2012, 02:20:33 pm »
+1

You're supposed to wish for Tendrils
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »

Only when yo momma is playing, theory.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 27, 2012, 04:57:55 pm »

Next time I play with Contraband in RL and I have no idea what to proscribe due to the excess of choices, I am going to proscribe the Ace of Diamonds. And, when I've drawn my deck and play wishing well, I will totally wish for the Queen of Spades.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 27, 2012, 05:51:29 pm »
+5

Next time I play with Contraband in RL and I have no idea what to proscribe due to the excess of choices, I am going to proscribe the Ace of Diamonds. And, when I've drawn my deck and play wishing well, I will totally wish for the Queen of Spades.

Worth 13 points.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 27, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »

Worth 13 points.

Of course.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 27, 2012, 05:56:35 pm »
+1

Worth 13 points.

Similar points been made before but I'm pretty sure a 5 Wishing Well hand is an instawin:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 27, 2012, 06:17:17 pm »

Just to be overly pedantic and destroy everyone's good time here... I'm pretty sure that "a card" within the rules of Dominion is defined as "A Dominion card." So while you can proscribe (and wish for) cards that aren't in the Kingdom, or ever cards from sets you don't have, you do still have to choose a Dominion card.

MTG sort of covers this concept when talking about how changelings are "every creature type." It is specified that this means it is any creature type that has ever been referenced by any magic card anywhere. But it is not a creature type of "Young Witch," because "Young Witch" is not an MTG creature type.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:25 pm »
+1

Just to be overly pedantic and destroy everyone's good time here... I'm pretty sure that "a card" within the rules of Dominion is defined as "A Dominion card." So while you can proscribe (and wish for) cards that aren't in the Kingdom, or ever cards from sets you don't have, you do still have to choose a Dominion card.

MTG sort of covers this concept when talking about how changelings are "every creature type." It is specified that this means it is any creature type that has ever been referenced by any magic card anywhere. But it is not a creature type of "Young Witch," because "Young Witch" is not an MTG creature type.

If I see this definition in the rules, then I'll believe it. But until then.... :D

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2012, 08:39:01 pm »

Buzz.  Kill.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2012, 09:05:15 pm »
+7

Back on topic (sort of)...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2012, 09:16:59 pm »
+8

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2012, 03:50:03 am »

Luckily for us MtG rules do not apply to Dominion.

I've seen DXV mention somewhere that you can wish for/proscribe anything you want. Does not have to be a Dominion card.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.