Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288775 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #5300 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:44 pm »
+1

I had no idea that people didn't like Return (except for the ewoks). It's my favorite of the series, though I acknowledge that Empire is a better-made movie.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: July 14, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »

Note that a whole animation series, Clone Wars, was based on the setup of the Episode II.

Not because Epidode II was good.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: July 14, 2015, 08:43:05 pm »

Note that a whole animation series, Clone Wars, was based on the setup of the Episode II.

Well someone must have thought "They wasted a perfectly good plot" at least. Possibly they could have made that if they wanted to even without the movie so long as they had a script.

I never watched much of the animated series, but there were at least 2 animated series productions set around the Clone Wars in the timeline. One was a hand-drawn, more edgy mini-series I think. The other was some CGI episodic thing.

It'a always hard to watch something that has a forgone conclusion that makes the whole thing tragic, in this case the protagonist becoming Darth Vader later on.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: July 14, 2015, 08:47:24 pm »

Well someone must have thought "They wasted a perfectly good plot" at least. Possibly they could have made that if they wanted to even without the movie so long as they had a script.

I never watched much of the animated series, but there were at least 2 animated series productions set around the Clone Wars in the timeline. One was a hand-drawn, more edgy mini-series I think. The other was some CGI episodic thing.

It'a always hard to watch something that has a forgone conclusion that makes the whole thing tragic, in this case the protagonist becoming Darth Vader later on.

They made the animated series because the Clone Wars is between Episode II and III and spanned many years. And wars are cool.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: July 14, 2015, 08:53:26 pm »
+5

Ha, fixed it...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:05:10 pm by Asper »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: July 14, 2015, 11:35:19 pm »

Return of the Jedi is the worst movie in the whole series, despite the Emperor, and despite Episode 1 having Jar Jar Binks.

There, I said it. And its my 2000th post, so I must be right.

I have no love for Return of the Jedi (obviouslyŕ, but come on now, The Phantom Menace is easily worse.

In Return of the Jedi, it's like all the characters suddenly contract a terminal case of idiotitis... and they weren't even particularly smart to begin with. Which is especially glaring when the protagonists survive encounter after encounter through the power of the plot. There's a bit of that in Phantom Menace too, but somehow it doesn't feel as insulting.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: July 14, 2015, 11:39:15 pm »

Return of the Jedi is the worst movie in the whole series, despite the Emperor, and despite Episode 1 having Jar Jar Binks.

There, I said it. And its my 2000th post, so I must be right.

I have no love for Return of the Jedi (obviouslyŕ, but come on now, The Phantom Menace is easily worse.

In Return of the Jedi, it's like all the characters suddenly contract a terminal case of idiotitis... and they weren't even particularly smart to begin with.

Like?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: July 15, 2015, 09:27:24 am »
+1

Wait, there was an Episode 2?

Episode 1:  Blonde mute kid wins a bike race or something.  Jar Jar Binks happens.  Kill me.
Episode 3:  Emo kid listens to Linkin Park, sulks a lot.  Even worse love story than Twilight.  Murders a bunch of kids.  Pope Benedict conquers the galaxy.  All the Jedi die in one place.  Lava.  Darth Vader becomes a thing.

Oh right, his mom dies.  Maybe some other stuff.

Worse love story than Twilight?

Those are fighting words.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft... and smooth....

You know... I actually... like... that line...

Sure, it's not what you might consider appropriate for romantic dialogue, but this is a fucked up kid we're talking about here.  He doesn't know what he's doing.  So instead he's talking about something else.  He grew up on a desert planet.  He was a slave on a desert planet.  It makes perfect sense that he would hate sand and everything it stands for.  He knows sand.  So fuck sand.

Then the second half of the line gets kinda silly, but most of the hate is usually directed at the sand part.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:14 am »
+3

He knows sand.  So fuck sand.

Are you emphasizing a Biblical knowing?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:43 am »

Wait, there was an Episode 2?

Episode 1:  Blonde mute kid wins a bike race or something.  Jar Jar Binks happens.  Kill me.
Episode 3:  Emo kid listens to Linkin Park, sulks a lot.  Even worse love story than Twilight.  Murders a bunch of kids.  Pope Benedict conquers the galaxy.  All the Jedi die in one place.  Lava.  Darth Vader becomes a thing.

Oh right, his mom dies.  Maybe some other stuff.

Worse love story than Twilight?

Those are fighting words.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft... and smooth....

You know... I actually... like... that line...

Sure, it's not what you might consider appropriate for romantic dialogue, but this is a fucked up kid we're talking about here.  He doesn't know what he's doing.  So instead he's talking about something else.  He grew up on a desert planet.  He was a slave on a desert planet.  It makes perfect sense that he would hate sand and everything it stands for.  He knows sand.  So fuck sand.

Then the second half of the line gets kinda silly, but most of the hate is usually directed at the sand part.

It's bad because it's a terrible romantic pick-up. There are no excuses.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5310 on: July 15, 2015, 10:57:06 am »

I really can't get behind that line at all.  It's just cheesy and makes for a very forced metaphor.  I don't know if Episode 2 has the worst love story I've ever seen, but it's certainly poorly executed. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:14 am »
+1

He knows sand.  So fuck sand.

Are you emphasizing a Biblical knowing?
I think the word he might be looking for is grokking.  If only we could make him grok some sand.

For a very very long time I thought he was saying he didn't like *sound*, because it was coarse and irritating.  Like, what's your problem, dude?  Don't worry, soon you'll have no ears and will hear everything through a filter.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: July 15, 2015, 11:44:40 am »

It's also, as mentioned, intentional.  He's an angsty and overly-emotional teenager, and that property is actually paramount to the character; everything he says should be drivel.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: July 15, 2015, 11:49:44 am »

It's also, as mentioned, intentional.  He's an angsty and overly-emotional teenager, and that property is actually paramount to the character; everything he says should be drivel.

How the heck did Padme fall for this guy?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: July 15, 2015, 11:56:50 am »
+1

That's the one thing they failed to address.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: July 15, 2015, 11:57:21 am »
+1

Being lame isn't the same as being unlovable.  The point to take is that Anakin has both merits and flaws, which is the underlying theme and continuous metaphor for the entire series.  There are parts of him that are good and parts that are not good, and his downfall is forsaking the good and embracing the not good, which is a gradual fall from grace enabled by his overly emotional nature.  His emotions are always in conflict, and he doesn't understand them.  He doesn't really understand love or have a realistic expectation of what it might entail.  Forced metaphors and cheesy lines are telling, here.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:14 am »

Being lame isn't the same as being unlovable.  The point to take is that Anakin has both merits and flaws, which is the underlying theme and continuous metaphor for the entire series.  There are parts of him that are good and parts that are not good, and his downfall is forsaking the good and embracing the not good, which is a gradual fall from grace enabled by his overly emotional nature.  His emotions are always in conflict, and he doesn't understand them.  He doesn't really understand love or have a realistic expectation of what it might entail.  Forced metaphors and cheesy lines are telling, here.

Anakin has no redeemable qualities. None.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: July 15, 2015, 11:59:40 am »

That's the one thing they failed to address.

I think the point is she met him when he was young and innocent.  He was a good kid, despite being on the annoying side. 

Well, a better filmmaker might have made this more apparent, might have been able to make us really feel for Anakin and like him, making his journey to the dark side more of a crisis for us as viewers.  Rather, we just had people talk about how good Anakin is. (Like, how his mother and Qui-Gon talked about him.)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: July 15, 2015, 12:00:19 pm »
+2

He threw that one dude into the reactor once. That was swell of him.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:14 pm »

He threw that one dude into the reactor once. That was swell of him.

Yeah, when his wife was dead and he was an OLD MAN. Who would even want to bang an old robot man with the blood of thousands of little kids all over him?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: July 15, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure my meaning is obvious, so I won't bother to clarify.

The biggest issue with the prequels is that character development suffers.  We have characters talking about the characteristics of other characters instead of those characteristics being evident through the actions and words of the characters themselves.  We were told Han Solo was a scoundrel, but we already knew that, because from the way he talked and acted in his beginning scenes, along with a quick scene explaining some back story, you knew exactly the kind of person he was.  You could also tell that he wasn't all bad.  I don't have anything against Ewan McGregor (I like him, actually), but he didn't really portray his character in the way his character was described in the same way Harrison Ford did.  (It's been a while since I watched, but as I recall we were told quite a bit about  Obi-Wan being brash and emotional, but did he really leave us that impression?  I mean some of the actions betrayed it, but did the acting really give us insight into his character?)  A similar issue with Anakin.  We were told more about how good he was rather than experiencing it.  Though, I'm not sure what could be done there.. maybe just better dialogue, or better scene writing.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: July 15, 2015, 12:30:17 pm »

better dialogue, or better scene writing.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #5322 on: July 15, 2015, 02:20:40 pm »
+14

Really, after reading the last pages, I wish, that thread would have been broken after 5.000 posts!

Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5323 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:49 pm »
+2

Really, after reading the last pages, I wish, that thread would have been broken after 5.000 posts!

What's wrong with post #6?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: July 15, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »
+4

What's wrong with post #6?

As i allready explained that a dot can be used as a reminder of the thousand after you made that same joke on one of my posts, i take this as intented misinterpretation against better knowledge. No +1 for you, kid.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.