Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2297567 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #4800 on: May 07, 2015, 12:13:17 pm »

My reading is that he was just very dumb.

In any case, I don't understand the fixation on Columbus. His -personal- influence was extremely small scale.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: May 07, 2015, 12:15:24 pm »

In any case, I don't understand the fixation on Columbus. His -personal- influence was extremely small scale.

Well part of it is that in the US we have a federal holiday in his honor, despite the fact that he did horrible things. That's pretty frustrating
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:41 pm »
+5

The red-blooded American patriots decided to fetishize him as an exemplar of American can-do attitude and whitewash what he actually did.  It's really gross, and quality of life for Joe Native American still isn't up to par 500+ years later.  I don't know if you're American or not, but he was a huge staple of K-6 education when I was growing up, and he might still be for all I know.  And I probably wouldn't know how horrible he was if it weren't for college Columbus Day protests and/or internet essays/cartoons circulating on the internet.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: May 07, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
+4

History classes for K-6 is 90% nationalist propaganda, and a lot of adults won't ever accept anything different from that, not now or until the day they die.  Columbus is America's origin myth.  He's the "in the beginning" of the America F Yeah Testament of the Bible.  If people didn't make him into that, then he wouldn't be any more than one out of the countless genocidal zealots that stain the pages of history.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:32 pm »

. . . at any rate, while Oracle, Fortune Teller, and Soothsayer are attack cards, they aren't necessarily negative references.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: May 07, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »

. . . at any rate, while Oracle, Fortune Teller, and Soothsayer are attack cards, they aren't necessarily negative references.

And even if they were, it doesn't mean women are being objectified as evil. Why ignore Thief and Saboteur? Men are in those images, and they're negative.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: May 07, 2015, 03:02:27 pm »

The red-blooded American patriots decided to fetishize him as an exemplar of American can-do attitude and whitewash what he actually did.  It's really gross, and quality of life for Joe Native American still isn't up to par 500+ years later.  I don't know if you're American or not, but he was a huge staple of K-6 education when I was growing up, and he might still be for all I know.  And I probably wouldn't know how horrible he was if it weren't for college Columbus Day protests and/or internet essays/cartoons circulating on the internet.

I don't think it really matters at any rate whether we celebrate the day now or not. Most people don't know about his evil deeds; people aren't celebrating that, they're simply celebrating America's founding. A bad thing has become a good thing, in a sense. I think evil things done in the past can be remodified in the name of tradition to more positive things. Should we? Depends. Do I like Columbus Day? Not really. But I won't vouch to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:03:50 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4807 on: May 07, 2015, 04:04:52 pm »

I don't think it really matters at any rate whether we celebrate the day now or not. Most people don't know about his evil deeds; people aren't celebrating that, they're simply celebrating America's founding. A bad thing has become a good thing, in a sense. I think evil things done in the past can be remodified in the name of tradition to more positive things. Should we? Depends. Do I like Columbus Day? Not really. But I won't vouch to get rid of it.
We celebrate Columbus' discovery, but not the Vikings. We celebrate the Pilgrims, but not Jamestown.

Also, more and more people are working on Labor Day.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: May 07, 2015, 05:20:10 pm »

We celebrate Columbus' discovery, but not the Vikings. We celebrate the Pilgrims, but not Jamestown.

Also, more and more people are working on Labor Day.

Winners write the history books.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: May 07, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »
+9

Sorry, I just . . . it was a bit much.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: May 07, 2015, 07:46:00 pm »
+34

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:32 pm »
+1

That would be Sir Richard Francis Burton, of course.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: May 07, 2015, 08:41:18 pm »
+1

That would be Sir Richard Francis Burton, of course.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:41 pm »
+5

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:26 pm »
+2

Say "Map!"

That backpack is all like, "Hi, I'm Gear!  I like you, Map!"

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #4815 on: May 08, 2015, 01:16:18 am »
+3

Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:03 am »
+1

She's looking for the other one, obviously.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: May 12, 2015, 01:56:09 pm »
+5

I dare you to edge case this.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4818 on: May 12, 2015, 01:58:46 pm »
+2

But revealing the other Trader doesn't do anything. If you just wanted to waste time, you might as well keep revealing that Trader for the first Silver over and over again.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: May 12, 2015, 02:00:30 pm »
+4

But revealing the other Trader doesn't do anything.

Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4820 on: May 12, 2015, 02:05:53 pm »

Then why not reveal it infinitely many times?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: May 12, 2015, 02:06:57 pm »

...um... because I'm used to Goko? <.< *hides*

TwitchYouTubeMusic

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: May 12, 2015, 02:26:47 pm »
+2

Feature request: ordinal-valued BM.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: May 12, 2015, 06:46:41 pm »
+5

I dare you to edge case this.

Revealing Trader still does nothing, but you've obviously emptied the Silver pile if you're only gaining six of them.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:28 pm »
+9

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.