Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2298006 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #4700 on: April 26, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »
+13

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »

A friend of mine moved down to Texas for a while for a job, and reported being asked "what kind of coke" when he ordered Coke at a restaurant.

I also learned from him that they call a stocking hat a "toboggan".

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: April 26, 2015, 02:41:15 pm »
+2

I think there is a lot more backwater in the south than you thought, jsh.

I don't doubt that, don't get me wrong, but personal experience has to count for something.

Actually, and this is a really important point when considering data analysis, personal experience counts exactly zero when weighed against actual data.  This is especially true if two people present personal anecdotes that cancel each other out.

More specifically, as long as one available personal anecdote exists that contradicts your personal anecdote, you cannot generalize from either anecdote.  This is particularly true when we're dealing with a negative anecdote.  I've never seen a total solar eclipse, but I can't generalize that and suggest that total solar eclipses never actually happen.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: April 26, 2015, 03:16:23 pm »
+1

I don't doubt that, don't get me wrong, but personal experience has to count for something.

Actually, and this is a really important point when considering data analysis, personal experience counts exactly zero when weighed against actual data.  This is especially true if two people present personal anecdotes that cancel each other out.

More specifically, as long as one available personal anecdote exists that contradicts your personal anecdote, you cannot generalize from either anecdote.  This is particularly true when we're dealing with a negative anecdote.  I've never seen a total solar eclipse, but I can't generalize that and suggest that total solar eclipses never actually happen.

Well we can say that it's surprising that if so many people in the south refer to all soda as coke, that jsh hasn't noticed anyone doing this. We would expect him to have given his experiences. That said, I am much more persuaded by the data than the anecdotal evidence.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: April 26, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »
+1

my grandmother (NC) referred to all soft drinks as cokes. not "what kind of coke" or "sprite coke" though, just, "there are some cokes in the fridge" to mean "there are some soft drinks in the fridge."

i have not heard this among the younger generations, but the statistics also suggest it's less common in NC.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4705 on: April 26, 2015, 04:14:23 pm »
+1

Well, considering how I worded my previous post, consider how many people say "sprite soda" or "sprite pop" instead of just "sprite". The idea was that all those things mentioned were called "coke" instead of "pop" or "soda" in the same context.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: April 26, 2015, 04:16:58 pm »

Well we can say that it's surprising that if so many people in the south refer to all soda as coke, that jsh hasn't noticed anyone doing this. We would expect him to have given his experiences. That said, I am much more persuaded by the data than the anecdotal evidence.

Right.

I should note I'm not intending to sound harsh here; I'm not trying to say your actual experience is invalid as an experience, jsh.  It's obvious that it actually happened, much like my not having seen a total solar eclipse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: April 26, 2015, 09:53:46 pm »
+2

I have lived in the South pretty much all of my life.  Nobody calls all soda 'coke' as a blanket term in any part of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tennessee I've been to.  Maybe some backwater regions do, but where I have experienced dialogue, 'soda' is the general term.  Now, I usually order a Coke at a restaurant just assuming they have it, as Pepsi is much less common here (also I despise Pepsi), so maybe that's where this misconception comes from.  That's my theory, anyway.

And yes, I have spent a fair amount of time in Atlanta.  Even there, the idea of calling a beverage 'Sprite coke' is completely alien to me.  There are cherry cokes, grape cokes, etc, but that's because those flavors of Coke actually do exist.

Now, if you want to hear weird, I will admit that I have heard many elderly people call Coke 'co-cola.'  It might just be an antiquated colloquialism for coke that's gone out of style.
I lived in various parts of NC from 1968 to 1987.  When I first arrived, the standard greeting when visiting friends was "Can I get you a coke?".  If the answer was affirmative, the followup question was "OK, what would you like?" and you were then expected to name the beverage you preferred.  Interestingly, the answer in many cases was "iced tea", but the generic term "coke" was meant to cover all non-alcoholic beverages, carbonated or otherwise.

This usage seemed to be more prevalent in the more rural areas, particularly in the eastern sections of the state.  In more urban areas (Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte), it was less widespread in my experience.  By the time I got to Chapel Hill in 1977, I had either become so used to it that it didn't register, or it didn't happen as much there (perhaps because we were mostly drinking beer). When I go back now to see family, I don't hear it very often.

Both my maternal grandparents referred to Coke as co-cola, as if the extra syllable on the bottle was one too many.  My grandfather would only drink his Coke from the small 8 ounce bottles, and as a youngster I can remember being assigned the task of keeping up with the bottles (for the deposit) on the runs to the grocery store.  Pepsi products were never served in that household, which is odd, given that Pepsi was invented in New Bern (by a Chapel Hill grad).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:39:01 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:53 pm »

[Dominion Alphabet]

All this talk about pop vs. soda and anecdote vs. data is keeping us from reminding people to go back and upvote wero's post.  Seriously, why does that only have like 35 votes?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:04 pm »
+1

On my few trips to the South, everyone was calling everything coke. I remember because it confused the hell out of me.

Then I am just really confused.  Literally the only place I've seen soda collectively called coke is in these type of polls, but I guess I have just magically managed to avoid it my entire life.

I was under the impression that this was specifically a Texas thing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:38 am »
+6

[Dominion Alphabet]

All this talk about pop vs. soda and anecdote vs. data is keeping us from reminding people to go back and upvote wero's post.  Seriously, why does that only have like 35 votes?

I guess it goes to show that not even the memes thread is immune from being derailed.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: April 27, 2015, 09:54:13 am »
+10

So this is where Random Stuff Part II went.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: April 27, 2015, 10:06:46 am »
+6

[Dominion Alphabet]

Just think, he could have spread it out over 26 posts and gotten hundreds of upvotes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:07 am »
+5

[Dominion Alphabet]

Just think, he could have spread it out over 26 posts and gotten hundreds of upvotes.

I originally was considering that, and then I thought, "Nah, that would be an incredibly shitty, whore-y thing to do."  :) 

I'm just rather flattered that the post currently has more upvotes than Donald's Secret Adventures History...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:45 am »

[Dominion Alphabet]

I originally was considering that, and then I thought, "Nah, that would be an incredibly shitty, whore-y thing to do."  :) 

I'm just rather flattered that the post currently has more upvotes than Donald's Secret Adventures History...

It's not shitty and whore-y if you're winning!  Okay, it is, but at least you're a winning whore.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: April 27, 2015, 10:44:30 am »

[Dominion Alphabet]

It's not shitty and whore-y if you're winning!  Okay, it is, but at least you're a winning whore.

Winning and whore don't go in the same sentence. Poor Wero has standards :'(
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: April 27, 2015, 10:52:29 am »
+2

My soda/pop/coke Teacher post has equal respect with 4 Teacher posts about Dominion combined in one post.  FOUR!

Do you think Miner calls it Soda and Minter calls it Pop?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: April 27, 2015, 10:59:17 am »
+1

My soda/pop/coke Teacher post has equal respect with 4 Teacher posts about Dominion combined in one post.  FOUR!

Well, either would be harmful to minors.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:03 am »
+3

Well, either would be harmful to minors.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: April 27, 2015, 11:29:06 am »
+3

forum.dominionsodapop.coke

Wait, how did we get started on this?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: April 27, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »

[Dominion Alphabet]

Ahh, fine. I was holding out because the rhythm is off in a few places, but it's still an impressive work.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: April 27, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
+6

[Dominion Alphabet]

Ahh, fine. I was holding out because the rhythm is off in a few places, but it's still an impressive work.

That's like saying Dominion sucks because Scout.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: April 27, 2015, 12:35:49 pm »

[Dominion Alphabet]

That's like saying Dominion sucks because Scout.

No it's not.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: April 27, 2015, 12:45:51 pm »
+5

My hope is that this prompts Donald to make cards in the next expansion with names starting with X and Z.  So, expect either a Xylophonist or a Xebec!

EDIT: Or perhaps a xenium!  Or perhaps a xenocracy?  Maybe a xoanon!  Or xylomancy...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:50:01 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »

Is a person from Xebec a Xebecois?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.