Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288760 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #4050 on: November 17, 2014, 05:00:02 pm »

Actually a pretty strong card, but playing it optimally will frustrate the hell out of everyone...

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action
Cost: $5

+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Perpetual Motion Machine.  Draw it and discard the other revealed cards.  Discard this card from play.

--------------------------------------

The first time you gain this card in a turn, gain another one.
This is ridiculously OP...

Am I missing something?  I could only see this being ridiculous with Tunnel, but nothing else.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:10 pm »
+4

Actually a pretty strong card, but playing it optimally will frustrate the hell out of everyone...

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Perpetual Motion Machine.  Draw it and discard the other revealed cards.  Discard this card from play.

Am I missing something?  I could only see this being ridiculous with Tunnel, but nothing else.

+1 action.  Shuffle your discard pile into your deck.  Look through your deck and discard any number of cards of your choice and shuffle the remaining cards.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

Playing it optimally with at least one other copy in your deck allows you to stack your entire deck given enough time.

Edit: Sarnath'd! And his explanation was more accurate. You don't get to stack the remainder of your deck.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: November 17, 2014, 05:06:10 pm »

Nobody did this yet, right?

I'm pretty sure I did it back when Guilds came out.

Ah, guess i should have thought so. Just couldn't bring myself to look through the old posts.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: November 17, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »
+4

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

+1 action.  Shuffle your discard pile into your deck.  Wait several years.  Look through your deck and discard any number of cards of your choice and shuffle the remaining cards. 

ftfy

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: November 17, 2014, 05:22:21 pm »

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

+1 action.  Shuffle your discard pile into your deck.  Look through your deck and discard any number of cards of your choice and shuffle the remaining cards.

But you don't get to choose where to put the other PMM.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: November 17, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »
+3

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

You repeat it until you have revealed and discarded exactly the cards you want.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:34 pm »
+2

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

You repeat it until you have revealed and discarded exactly the cards you want.

MFW I'm playing against that

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: November 17, 2014, 05:37:37 pm »

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

+1 action.  Shuffle your discard pile into your deck.  Wait several years.  Look through your deck and discard any number of cards of your choice and shuffle the remaining cards. 

ftfy

You just passed Applied Probability 101.  (Like seriously, 85% of undergrads wouldn't get that.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:46:45 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:09 pm »
+2

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

Actually, BaruMonkey is ridiculously OP.  At least for this thread.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

+1 action.  Shuffle your discard pile into your deck.  Look through your deck and discard any number of cards of your choice other than Perpetual Motion Machine and shuffle the remaining cards.
FTFY

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: November 17, 2014, 06:45:15 pm »

Perpetual Motion Machine
Action

+1 Action

+1 action.  Shuffle your discard pile into your deck.  Look through your deck and discard any number of cards of your choice other than Perpetual Motion Machine and shuffle the remaining cards.
FTFY

Technically you put one PPM in your hand and at least one in your discard pile, and leave 0 in play.  But yeah.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: November 17, 2014, 07:52:50 pm »
+1

Good Guy Greg knows that making sure everyone has a good time (IRL at least) is more important than crushing his opponents by a few more points. He won't let you win, as such, but he knows how not to aggravate you.

Obvious meme is obvious.

Classic meme is classic anyways.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4063 on: November 17, 2014, 08:09:18 pm »

Good Guy Greg knows that making sure everyone has a good time (IRL at least) is more important than crushing his opponents by a few more points.

That's Neutral Guy Greg though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #4064 on: November 18, 2014, 02:18:44 am »

Obvious meme is obvious.

Can someone explain that to me?
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: November 18, 2014, 02:22:50 am »
+7

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: November 18, 2014, 02:28:34 am »
+33

Obvious meme is obvious.

Can someone explain that to me?

The man whose face has been photoshopped onto the card is David Tennant, who is most famous for playing Barty Crouch Jr. in the fourth Harry Potter film (Goblet of Fire).  He's had some bit roles in other film and TV, but they aren't important.  In the film, Barty Crouch Jr. uses Polyjuice Potion to take on the guise of Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody.  For most of this time, Moody is the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  He is thus known to the students (including Harry Potter, the titular main character) as Professor Moody.  In Canada and the US, the title of "Professor" is granted not only to academic teachers but also to scholars with doctorates.

Therefore, it can be said that David Tennant is a "Doctor", which is why he was associated with that card.

Edit: an alternative face to photoshop onto the Doctor card would be that of actor Matt Smith.  He is famous for playing Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (the musical).  Patrick is a character who allegedly lives a double life, except that he hallucinates and is thus an unreliable narrator.  It could be said that his memory and narration are doctored.

Matt Smith has had some bit roles in film and TV as well, including an obscure British show that nobody watches which coincidentally also starred David Tennant for some time.  But that piece of esoteric trivia isn't relevant here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:48:09 am by eHalcyon »

GwinnR

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #4067 on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:33 am »

Ok, too much Harry Potter and complicated english for me ;-)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: November 18, 2014, 03:53:51 am »
+7

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:17 am »
+4

eHalcyon is just poking fun at you, me, or a certain "obscure british TV show". David Tennant is actually one of the best known actors to portrait "the Doctor", main character of British TV show "Doctor Who" about a time-travelling alien, which happens to be able to change forms under certain circumstances (when close to dying), which is why said Doctor was played by many actors over time. I took one of his worst facial expressions ("Tennantface") and added the magical wand sonic screwdriver, item of the Dr's choice. Also the British take great pride in the show, which is extremely long running (not without a break, though) and even got some stamps with motives from it printed.

Tennant actually does play a role in one of the Harry Potter movies, but that's not what this was about.

GwinnR

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #4070 on: November 18, 2014, 08:36:35 am »
+1

:-) That makes more sense. Thanks!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:06 am »

:-) That makes more sense. Thanks!

Also i should add that its a fun show to watch and available in german, too. The oldest episodes predate color-tv, but you don't need to know them necessarily. You can find the newer episodes (after the show took a break and started again around 2001) on Watchever and certainly on other parts of the internet, too. If you are interested in science-fiction that's a bit over-the-top, you might like it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: November 18, 2014, 09:30:28 am »
+4

Tennant actually does play a role in one of the Harry Potter movies, but that's not what this was about.

This is about Harry Potter and that "screwdriver" is actually the Elder Wand.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:04 am »
+5

This is about Harry Potter and that "screwdriver" is actually the Elder Wand.

If i wasn't busy doing stuff i get paid for right now, i would dig up some webcomic strips lampshading the fact that there's no difference between sonic screwdrivers and wands, really.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: November 18, 2014, 10:32:04 am »
+8

eHalcyon is just poking fun at you, me, or a certain "obscure british TV show". David Tennant is actually one of the best known actors to portrait "the Doctor", main character of British TV show "Doctor Who" about a time-travelling alien, which happens to be able to change forms under certain circumstances (when close to dying), which is why said Doctor was played by many actors over time. I took one of his worst facial expressions ("Tennantface") and added the magical wand sonic screwdriver, item of the Dr's choice. Also the British take great pride in the show, which is extremely long running (not without a break, though) and even got some stamps with motives from it printed.

Ha! eHalcyon completely had me going. I don't watch Dr. Who, but when I saw that meme, I just assumed right away that it must be one of the actors who played The Doctor. While reading eHalcyon's post, I was just thinking "wow, that's an obscure reference to "doctor"; I thought it was just Doctor Who. Well there you go."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.