Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288516 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #3975 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:07 pm »
+5

Is there a specific reason to dislike this Sirloin guy?

Some prefer the rump.

A bit more seriously, his games tend to be derivative, and he is not particularly accomodating in online arguments. Strong opinions arise.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:48 pm »

A bit more seriously, his games tend to be derivative [...]

Ah, i think i heard about him, then. Okay, i'm informed now.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: November 12, 2014, 07:47:44 pm »
+6

But that's actually a good article, no matter how much it was written by Sirlin.

Really? What's good about it?

I actually had to look up whether "that" was an article. Turns out it's a so-called determiner.

In case you're interested in the article, it's here: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

Okay... So i actually read this and another one of his articles (the one about defensive aspects in Guilty Gear) and found at least the second one helpful... Is there a specific reason to dislike this Sirloin guy? Note i am actually clueless and not trying to imply anything here. Didn't read more of his articles, either.

I think the articles are OK.

I don't like Sirlin though, mainly because his game Puzzle Strike shamelessly ripped off its design from a fan-made chip version of Dominion:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/395648/dominion

While it's possible that Sirlin came up with the chip idea on his own, but the art direction is obviously stolen, and it was done so without permission.  He never even acknowledged the source, let alone apologized for his actions.

He's also a bit of an elitist jerk.  If you want to read a ton of drama, here's an example

There are certainly people that support him, and I wouldn't disparage him just for being "outspoken", but the plagiarism with Puzzle Strike has forever soured me on him and his games.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:12 pm »
+1

Reading this is hilarious:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/puzzle-strike-and-bgg.8586/

Sirlin (and his community) get so defensive about his games.  I could never see any Dominion player get that defensive about Dominion or Donald X because, well, the game speaks for itself.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: November 12, 2014, 11:59:46 pm »
+3

Reading this is hilarious:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/puzzle-strike-and-bgg.8586/

Sirlin (and his community) get so defensive about his games.  I could never see any Dominion player get that defensive about Dominion or Donald X because, well, the game speaks for itself.

Well, when you love something, it's tough when other people hate it.  Even if they have good reasons for that, your mind really wants to rationalize it such that you are right and they are wrong.  When people in other forums say that Dominion is just multiplayer solitaire, I get the urge to correct them on the many subtle interactions of the game (not to mention various cards that offer direct interaction).

It's also tough when the thing you love turns out to be not as wonderful as you thought.  So you might attempt to ignore or downplay the problems.  You may be so good at rationalizing that you convince yourself.

In this case, these people love Puzzle Strike (or maybe Sirlin himself).  When it comes out that Puzzle Strike ripped off its graphic design from this fan-made creation with no acknowledgement whatsoever... hey, it's not really plagiarism, if we twist the definition around to fit our purposes!  Even if it is plagiarism, it isn't that big a deal.  It's the gameplay that matters!  And hey, the guy who got ripped off didn't mind!  Let's just ignore that the comment we are talking about is kind of sarcastic, and he has since clarified that, yes, he was not entirely pleased that he received zero acknowledgement.

Anyway, there's no reason to dwell on it.  Some people have made up their mind.  I'll leave them to it.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: November 13, 2014, 04:08:10 am »
+5

I could never see any Dominion player get that defensive about Dominion or Donald X because, well, the game speaks for itself.

Let's see what happens: "Multiplayer solitaire, neener neener neeener! Grab a stapler, paste the theme, neener neener neeener!"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:09:41 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: November 13, 2014, 04:37:01 am »

I could never see any Dominion player get that defensive about Dominion or Donald X because, well, the game speaks for itself.

Let's see what happens: "Multiplayer solitaire, neener neener neeener! Grab a stapler, paste the theme, neener neener neeener!"

Would you really defend Dominion on a thematic level ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:16 am »
+35

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: November 13, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »
+6

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: November 13, 2014, 02:59:47 pm »
+1

I would defend Dominion having a simple theme that doesn't distract from the gameplay
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: November 13, 2014, 03:21:40 pm »
+4

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: November 14, 2014, 06:08:12 am »
+6

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: November 14, 2014, 07:47:36 am »
+23

Almost happened to me ;)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:23 am »

I would defend Dominion having a simple theme that doesn't distract from the gameplay

This.  So much this.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:42 am »
+24

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:51 pm »
+5

Scavenger as an unemployed Chancellor is hilarious, in that losing his livelihood somehow made him vastly better at his job.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 14, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »
+2

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 14, 2014, 09:01:25 pm »
+3

Scavenger as an unemployed Chancellor is hilarious, in that losing his livelihood somehow made him vastly better at his job.

Desperation forces you to realise your inadequacies.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 14, 2014, 10:18:39 pm »
+2

Ok, riffing on this.

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 15, 2014, 01:25:10 am »
+20

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: November 15, 2014, 01:40:48 am »
+2

Explorer not only decided to take whatever treasures she could, she even grew herself a beard. Times are very rough.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 15, 2014, 09:30:30 am »
+6

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 15, 2014, 09:39:01 am »

Explorer not only decided to take whatever treasures she could, she even grew herself a beard. Times are very rough.

Well, she had to do *something* to keep her parents from finding out she's a lesbian.  They are *very* conservative.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: November 15, 2014, 09:47:00 am »
+9

Well, she had to do *something* to keep her parents from finding out she's a lesbian.  They are *very* conservative.

Growing a beard sounds like a strange way to hide the fact that you are a lesbian.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.