Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288862 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #3550 on: June 05, 2014, 10:36:43 am »

EDIT: Ninja'd by Soulnet!

Theoretical question: how much crazier would expand be if the 3 was a 4? Just asking because King's Court effectively does twice what throne room does once, so it wouldn't be completely out of left field to have expand have twice the effect of a remodel.

Extrapolation time!

Double-Smithy; +6 cards, $7.
Double-Sea-Hag; $7; each opponent gets 2 curses.

Bah, that's a low blow. Playing a card has a cost in and of itself (one action and one card, at least). Notice that I say that king's court is twice a throne room, not 150% a throne room.

So double smithy would probably not be +6 cards. More like +5 cards. Which yeah, probably still is too strong, but +cards is the strongest bonus you can add (aside from +action to a terminal card, maybe), so extrapolating smithy is tricky. You can see though that moat costs 2, smithy costs 4, hunting grounds costs 6, if you want to extrapolate that.
Double sea hag for 7 seems alright though. It's not going to be useful for long, and by the time you get it online, the other player would have probably already developed a deck that can deal with the incoming curses.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:53 am »

If double Sea Hag topdecks both Curses (discarding top 2 cards first), then it is extremely strong, even for $7. However, with any other Curser on the board, it would be extremely weak, unless you luck into a T3/T4 $7. Is funny how things work out.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:33 am »

Hunting Grounds (+4 cards) costs $6 and has a buff. So +5 cards for $7 (possibly with a nerf) would probably be OK.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: June 05, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »

I was thinking about Expand.  It's sort of like Band of Misfits - the $7 TfB version.  Only it does really lousy versions of a bunch of $5 cards...  And is priced above a Gold.  $7 for a card that can be Mine or Rebuild or Salvager or Trading Post would be a whole other ball game than Expand.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: June 05, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »
+2

I was thinking about Expand.  It's sort of like Band of Misfits - the $7 TfB version.  Only it does really lousy versions of a bunch of $5 cards...  And is priced above a Gold.  $7 for a card that can be Mine or Rebuild or Salvager or Trading Post would be a whole other ball game than Expand.

I think you are severely underestimating the price of versatility.  Consider Steward, a very strong card at $3, often purchased for $4 in a Silver/Steward opening.  Yet each of its options is worth less than $2, possibly as little as $1.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:05 pm »

I think you are severely underestimating the price of versatility.  Consider Steward, a very strong card at $3, often purchased for $4 in a Silver/Steward opening.  Yet each of its options is worth less than $2, possibly as little as $1.

In some sense, Steward is a *lot* more versatile than Expand.  In fact, I'd rather draw Steward with two Golds and two Provinces than an Expand precisely because of this...

EDIT:  The Wiki article on Expand isn't all that flattering, either.  I really didn't think this card was highly regarded, overall...  http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Expand
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:48:33 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: June 05, 2014, 06:32:01 pm »
+4

The point is that Expand is not that great, but it's not absolutely terrible either.  Sometimes it's actually important.  Sometimes it's important even though there are other TfB on the board.  It's not highly regarded, but it's not completely ignorable either.  I hope those logs I linked are enough proof of that.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: June 08, 2014, 05:30:13 am »
+6

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: June 08, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »
+1

Shouldn't the title of this card be 'Sir Harry'? And then the text would be:

Each other player may announce whether he is 'feeling lucky'. Each player who feels lucky reveals the top four cards of his deck. If any of them are Knights, trash Sir Harry. Otherwise, trash all four cards.

Nevermind

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: June 08, 2014, 11:07:32 pm »

Shouldn't the title of this card be 'Sir Harry'? And then the text would be:

Each other player may announce whether he is 'feeling lucky'. Each player who feels lucky reveals the top four cards of his deck. If any of them are Knights, trash Sir Harry. Otherwise, trash all four cards.
This being on top of the knight pile on a 5/2 opening makes you reconsider going for knights, because it acts like a chapel.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: June 09, 2014, 03:25:37 am »
+15

...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: June 09, 2014, 03:26:25 am »
+7

Also because someone else would inevitably do it anyway:

But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:12 am »
+9

Also because someone else would inevitably do it anyway:

Why post the same thing again?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:22 am »

Aside from the mint/mine joke here; what's the other part of the joke? Why would you trash your wallet upon meeting someone who is mint or mine?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:48 am »

Aside from the mint/mine joke here; what's the other part of the joke? Why would you trash your wallet upon meeting someone who is mint or mine?

I'm guessing it's because he "gained" her and his wallet was in play...

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:45 am »

I'm guessing it's because he "gained" her and his wallet was in play...

Her?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: June 09, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
+3

After making this joke, I looked up exactly how 'mint' is defined in this context, and discovered it's largely a British word, meaning most Americans probably aren't going to get the pun. A shame, I was so looking forward to getting to 2K respect. Er, I mean, amusing my fellow forum users.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:45 am »

After making this joke, I looked up exactly how 'mint' is defined in this context, and discovered it's largely a British word, meaning most Americans probably aren't going to get the pun. A shame, I was so looking forward to getting to 2K respect. Er, I mean, amusing my fellow forum users.

I'm an American and I'm familiar with "mint" in the sense of a compliment, I guess meaning really great or perfect. I ashamedly missed the whole "mint makes you trash your treasures" part of the joke.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:02 am »
+1

yeah, i tell you what, those two posts only netted 6 respect.  Tough crowd.  Here is a consolation +1
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: June 09, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »
+1

We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3570 on: June 09, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »
+8

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: June 09, 2014, 04:04:44 pm »

So you bought her?
Probably so he could say, "Now you're mine!"

I actually first delivered this line to a guy - and there was a girl at the table.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3572 on: June 12, 2014, 12:14:27 pm »
+12

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:05 pm »
+4

It's not so bad. At least you gave your opponent a junk card when you gained embassy  ;)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3574 on: June 12, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »
+6

Beware, the Prince of the Advisor.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.