Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2295645 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #1975 on: May 10, 2013, 06:50:18 am »

I think that's easy. Forged money is money you only spend once and hope to get away with.

Of course in real life real money can also only be spent once. But Dominion money is different from real money.
In Dominion when you buy something, you always get your money back. Unless you buy a Mint. ???

Oh well, I wish they would have called the treasure cards as something that provides money, not as actual money, like Gold Mine, Silver Mine etc.. I recall Donald did try it that way but it didn't sit right with the play-testers. I can see their reasoning as that way they become too much like Action cards.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:20 am »
+1

I think that's easy. Forged money is money you only spend once and hope to get away with.

Of course in real life real money can also only be spent once. But Dominion money is different from real money.
In Dominion when you buy something, you always get your money back. Unless you buy a Mint. ???

Oh well, I wish they would have called the treasure cards as something that provides money, not as actual money, like Gold Mine, Silver Mine etc.. I recall Donald did try it that way but it didn't sit right with the play-testers. I can see their reasoning as that way they become too much like Action cards.
Then, the not base treasures would be Venture Mine, Bank Mine, Loan Mine, Counterfeit Mine  ;)

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #1977 on: May 10, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
+1

Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1978 on: May 10, 2013, 10:20:08 am »
+10

You know, DXV raised exactly this objection when I suggested the name, though I guess he got over it.

Quote from: DXV
Counterfeit is interesting although it's the wrong uh type of name for a treasure. It would have to be like Counterfeit Coins. It doesn't really fit with trashing the treasure though. That treasure was real. Maybe that's okay though.

Quote from: theory
I thought of it as a one-shot: you can't pass the Counterfeit a second time because they've caught on.

Counterfeit is technically a noun too, but you won't be able to convince anyone it's not a verb on first sight.

Quote from: DXV
No I mean, the treasure you copied wasn't counterfeit. I have a Silver; it's Silver. I Counterfeit it; I get the $2 from the Silver itself, and $1 from Counterfeit for some kind of added value I guess, and $2 from the counterfeit copy of the Silver, which is a phantom that never goes in my deck or anything. But I also trash the Silver. It was Silver, it was fine.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 10, 2013, 10:50:56 am »
+1

The real Silver was lost/siezed in a government raid on youer operation? I guess you are the government, so maybe not.
Perhaps you damage the original Silver in making the molds for casting the fake Silvers, and each mold is fragile and breaks after 2 uses, so you lose an original, gain 2 one-shot fakes, and then melt down the original to recover a modicum of value from it?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: May 10, 2013, 11:05:12 am »
+2

Clearly you were charged a fine for being convicted of conterfeiting.

itchiko

• Baron
  • Hear me roar
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 10, 2013, 11:35:31 am »
+4

Since you are the government:
Isn't counterfeit negative for the economy of your kingdom. So that it boost your economy of the short terms but breaks it a little on the long terms. I always understood the counterfeit card this way.

I also always considered treasures are representing your source of income (like taxes on your kingdom i guess) more than real hard treasure. because otherwise it doesn't really make sense to reuse them again and again.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 10, 2013, 11:40:50 am »
+1

Man, I've let go of trying to explain card names since the base game, it's such a futile effort. I'm sure we could have come up with better names in hindsight.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1983 on: May 10, 2013, 11:48:53 am »
+1

The real Silver was lost/siezed in a government raid on youer operation? I guess you are the government, so maybe not.
Well, since you are the government, you are the one to pay the expenses for that government raid.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:37 pm »
+9

Man, now you guys are finding edge cases to things that aren't even strategy related...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 10, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »
+10

Man, now you guys are finding edge cases to things that aren't even strategy related...
Due to this forum, I'm finding edge cases in real life to things that aren't even Dominion related.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:03 pm »
+17

Due to this forum, I'm finding edge cases in real life to things that aren't even Dominion related.

forum.edgecasestrategy.com
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:17 pm »
+4

I thought that counterfeit trashed your treasure because it was devaluing currency via inflation, and trashing a treasure was just a convenient way to represent the economic impact.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 10, 2013, 01:02:32 pm »
+9

I thought Counterfeit was called Counterfeit because you got double the value out of the original Treasure, and then I didn't think about it any more. :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 10, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »
+7

Here's the thing you guys are all missing -- that Silver, the one you're trashing? It was a counterfeit Silver all along. But then you got greedy, and tried to spend your counterfeit money twice as fast, and you got caught, so they took it away.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »
+3

Unfortunately, $7 is not enough for a province ^^

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1991 on: May 10, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »
+1

My view on Counterfeit:

You're making less expensive metals look like more expensive metals, and that's why you lose the less expensive metal. In Dominion world, it's enough to buy some things if you just show your treasures to the guy selling things, you don't actually have to give those treasures away, but with counterfeit treasures, in the long run you'll face the risk of getting caught so you're selling that counterfeit treasure and spending whatever you got as soon as possible (this turn).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 10, 2013, 03:31:31 pm »
+8

My view on Counterfeit:

You're making less expensive metals look like more expensive metals, and that's why you lose the less expensive metal. In Dominion world, it's enough to buy some things if you just show your treasures to the guy selling things, you don't actually have to give those treasures away, but with counterfeit treasures, in the long run you'll face the risk of getting caught so you're selling that counterfeit treasure and spending whatever you got as soon as possible (this turn).

You Counterfeit a Copper and get +$3 total: you made that Copper into a Gold.
You Counterfeit a Silver and get +$5 total: you make that Silver into a Platinum.
You Counterfeit a Gold and get +$7 total: you made something so shiny that people have no idea what to do with it.
You Counterfeit a Platinum and get +$11 total: you somehow made that Platinum into a Colony.  Holy crap you are a master counterfeiter.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »
+1

The whole "but you are the government" got me thinking; If you're the king, why can't you just take all the stuff you want?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 10, 2013, 03:47:16 pm »
+4

You Counterfeit a Silver and get +$5 total: you make that Silver into a Platinum.
You Counterfeit a Gold and get +$7 total: you made something so shiny that people have no idea what to do with it.
You Counterfeit a Platinum and get +$11 total: you somehow made that Platinum into a Colony.  Holy crap you are a master counterfeiter.

My game must be broken. When I play a Colony, I don't get $11, I only get 10 vp chips.

GwinnR

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #1995 on: May 10, 2013, 03:50:19 pm »
+6

My game must be broken. When I play a Colony, I don't get $11, I only get 10 vp chips.
Your game must be really broken. You can PLAY Colonies and you get vp CHIPS!? ;-)
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 10, 2013, 03:51:48 pm »
+1

The whole "but you are the government" got me thinking; If you're the king, why can't you just take all the stuff you want?

Because you're the king of a small kingdom, with very little resources and land, and you want more. You spend the game by first taking over the means of production to earn money, then leverage that money by bribing important officials to do work for you. Eventually you either take over the empire, or get enough of the population on your side to make you the de-facto ruler.

Dominion: secretly the most political game in the world.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »

You are a monarch, like your parents before you, a ruler of a small pleasant kingdom of rivers and evergreens. Unlike your parents, however, you have hopes and dreams! You want a bigger and more pleasant kingdom, with more rivers and a wider variety of trees. You want a Dominion!  In all directions lie fiefs, freeholds, and feodums. All are small bits of land, controlled by petty lords and verging on anarchy. You will bring civilization to these people, uniting them under your banner.

But wait! It must be something in the air; several other monarchs have had the exact same idea. You must race to get as much of the unclaimed land as possible, fending them off along the way. To do this you will hire minions, construct buildings, spruce up your castle, and fill the coffers of your treasury. Your parents wouldn’t be proud, but your grandparents, would be delighted.
-DXV

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 10, 2013, 06:36:36 pm »
+4

Venture>Venture>Venture>Venture>Venture>Venture>Opper?

I don't get it...
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.