Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2295986 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #4675 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:08 am »
+1

I thought it was all "Coke" south of the Mason-Dixon.

PepsiCo might want to have a word with you.

Not sure if you actually didn't know, but it is really the case that, in some regions, the people really do refer to all soft drinks as "coke".  You can find some regional maps with a quick search.  Here's one.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:24 am »

Not sure if you actually didn't know, but it is really the case that, in some regions, the people really do refer to all soft drinks as "coke".  You can find some regional maps with a quick search.  Here's one.

I tend to prefer Coke over Pepsi anyway, but the real reason I wouldn't call all soda "coke" is because I wouldn't call Dr. Pepper "Coke" either.  Coke is a species!

To me, it's fine to call tissues Kleenex, but it wouldn't be fine to call a paper towel Kleenex.  Does this mean that I would be ok with calling RC Cola "Coke"?  Maybe I should allow it, but it still feels wrong...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: April 26, 2015, 02:39:06 am »

Are there now three people using Island as an avatar?

Uh oh, tribe meeting.  Naked guy no one likes going to win the million?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4678 on: April 26, 2015, 03:18:32 am »
+2

I tend to prefer Coke over Pepsi anyway, but the real reason I wouldn't call all soda "coke" is because I wouldn't call Dr. Pepper "Coke" either.  Coke is a species!

To me, it's fine to call tissues Kleenex, but it wouldn't be fine to call a paper towel Kleenex.  Does this mean that I would be ok with calling RC Cola "Coke"?  Maybe I should allow it, but it still feels wrong...
You wouldn't enjoy Atlanta very much.

Sprite coke, orange coke, grape coke, dr pepper coke, Pepsi coke, or coca cola?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:19:45 am by enfynet »
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: April 26, 2015, 03:45:56 am »
+2

You wouldn't enjoy Atlanta very much.

Sprite coke, orange coke, grape coke, dr pepper coke, Pepsi coke, or coca cola?

Kill me.  Kill me now.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:24 am »

Canada (at least where I live) is like the northern US; we tend to say "pop", or else "soft drinks" to be more formal.  "Soda" feels about as wrong to me as "coke" does.  But again, it's a regional thing.  That's just how it is.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:28 am »

Canada (at least where I live) is like the northern US; we tend to say "pop", or else "soft drinks" to be more formal.  "Soda" feels about as wrong to me as "coke" does.  But again, it's a regional thing.  That's just how it is.

Even "pop" and "soda" feel wrong to me - I always just say "soft drinks" or whatever brand it is. But then again I'm an anomaly so...
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: April 26, 2015, 09:10:44 am »
+2

Even "pop" and "soda" feel wrong to me - I always just say "soft drinks" or whatever brand it is. But then again I'm an anomaly so...

Maybe we should all start saying CARBONATED SWEETENED BEVERAGE.  Or csb for short.  You can't say that as an acronym, either, you have to pronounce it as one syllable.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4683 on: April 26, 2015, 09:13:18 am »
+1

I call them soft drinks (when speaking English, obviously). Soda, pop, soda pop and carbonated beverage feel right as well, but I rarely use those words myself.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: April 26, 2015, 09:29:50 am »

I call them soft drinks (when speaking English, obviously). Soda, pop, soda pop and carbonated beverage feel right as well, but I rarely use those words myself.

What are they called in Vikingspeak?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4685 on: April 26, 2015, 09:44:48 am »
+1

What are they called in Vikingspeak?

Virvoitusjuoma, limonaadi, limppari, limsa, limu, limppa, limska, limo on top of my head but there are probably others as well. I usually use limppari in casual speech and virvoitusjuoma in formal contexts.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:22 am »
+4

Maybe we should all start saying CARBONATED SWEETENED BEVERAGE.  Or csb for short.  You can't say that as an acronym, either, you have to pronounce it as one syllable.

(The only CSB)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:15 am »

My mom calls it pop and I somehow learned soda.  I don't know how she didn't pass it down to me.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4688 on: April 26, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »

I have lived in the South pretty much all of my life.  Nobody calls all soda 'coke' as a blanket term in any part of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tennessee I've been to.  Maybe some backwater regions do, but where I have experienced dialogue, 'soda' is the general term.  Now, I usually order a Coke at a restaurant just assuming they have it, as Pepsi is much less common here (also I despise Pepsi), so maybe that's where this misconception comes from.  That's my theory, anyway.

And yes, I have spent a fair amount of time in Atlanta.  Even there, the idea of calling a beverage 'Sprite coke' is completely alien to me.  There are cherry cokes, grape cokes, etc, but that's because those flavors of Coke actually do exist.

Now, if you want to hear weird, I will admit that I have heard many elderly people call Coke 'co-cola.'  It might just be an antiquated colloquialism for coke that's gone out of style.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:08:53 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »
+2

My mom calls it pop and I somehow learned soda.  I don't know how she didn't pass it down to me.

People learn more of their linguistic behavior from their peers than their parents; and even that doesn't 100% mean "you acquire the exact same linguistic system as your peers" so much as "you learn from your peers what the social structure of the dialect is and then figure out how you fit into it."

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »
+3

I have lived in the South pretty much all of my life.  Nobody calls all soda 'coke' as a blanket term in any part of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tennessee I've been to.

In the data collected by PopVsSoda.com, 72% of people from Georgia, 53% of people from South Carolina, 32% of people from North Carolina, and 72% of people from Tennessee answered the question "What generic word do you use to describe carbonated soft drinks?" with "coke".

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: April 26, 2015, 12:24:49 pm »

I have lived in the South pretty much all of my life.  Nobody calls all soda 'coke' as a blanket term in any part of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tennessee I've been to.

In the data collected by PopVsSoda.com, 72% of people from Georgia, 53% of people from South Carolina, 32% of people from North Carolina, and 72% of people from Tennessee answered the question "What generic word do you use to describe carbonated soft drinks?" with "coke".

I have been seeing these types of survey results all my life, but I have about 29 years of experience communicating with people in this region and have never heard anyone refer to all sodas as 'coke.'  It's possible both my wife and I are major exceptions to the rule in this regard (she has also never heard anyone do this), but I suspect either: 1) these numbers were pulled out of nowhere 2) people were only polled in extremely specific regions where MAYBE people call all sodas 'coke.'
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: April 26, 2015, 12:25:45 pm »

I think there is a lot more backwater in the south than you thought, jsh.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: April 26, 2015, 12:29:08 pm »

I don't doubt that, don't get me wrong, but personal experience has to count for something.  I strongly suspect there is cherry-picking going on in these types of polls.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: April 26, 2015, 12:31:39 pm »

It's also the case that you might not notice people around you using "coke". I mean, I'm a "soda"-user living in a "pop" city, and I notice when people say "pop" because it's not a word I would use in that context anyway. But I don't think I would notice as frequently if someone said "coke" meaning 'soda', because a lot of the time I couldn't tell that they're not just using "coke" to mean 'Coke'.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »

I don't doubt that, don't get me wrong, but personal experience has to count for something.  I strongly suspect there is cherry-picking going on in these types of polls.

Since these are online polls, they're probably biased toward younger and less-"backwater"y people—i.e., if there's a bias, they're biased toward the people who are less likely to say "coke".

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: April 26, 2015, 12:42:13 pm »

72% of the people who were able to convince said website that they were from Tennessee trolled with "coke" as the answer.  I have to believe it for my sanity.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: April 26, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »

On my few trips to the South, everyone was calling everything coke. I remember because it confused the hell out of me.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: April 26, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »

On my few trips to the South, everyone was calling everything coke. I remember because it confused the hell out of me.

Then I am just really confused.  Literally the only place I've seen soda collectively called coke is in these type of polls, but I guess I have just magically managed to avoid it my entire life. 

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: April 26, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »
+18

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:09:52 pm by Minotaur »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 20 queries.