Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2294169 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #4000 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:15 am »
+5

Well, she had to do *something* to keep her parents from finding out she's a lesbian.  They are *very* conservative.

Growing a beard sounds like a strange way to hide the fact that you are a lesbian.

I'm going to assume this is not sarcastic and thus explain the joke : beard can mean something else.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: November 15, 2014, 10:24:36 am »

Man Teproc, that was a shitty #4000 post. I'm very disappointed in you.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: November 15, 2014, 10:30:18 am »
+6

Man, silverspawn, 4001 was prime territory and that's all you could come up with?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:19 am »
+3

I think it's pretty fitting since unnecessarily explaining jokes is what we do here.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: November 15, 2014, 12:40:53 pm »

I think it's pretty fitting since unnecessarily explaining jokes is what we do here.

By all means, do the honors.  A joke has gone unexplained...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: November 15, 2014, 04:26:11 pm »

Well, she had to do *something* to keep her parents from finding out she's a lesbian.  They are *very* conservative.

Growing a beard sounds like a strange way to hide the fact that you are a lesbian.

Perhaps she wants to go to a stoning.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: November 15, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »
+1

Perhaps she wants to go to a stoning.

She will get no satisfaction there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:37:49 pm by soulnet »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: November 15, 2014, 06:04:28 pm »
+6

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: November 15, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »
+4

A Monty Python video is just respect whoring...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: November 15, 2014, 07:04:25 pm »
+5

Yeah, I didn't even watch it. I know the scene and that's an auto-respect point.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: November 15, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »

Not if it's relevant!  :D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: November 15, 2014, 07:58:33 pm »
+7

Man, silverspawn, 4001 was prime territory and that's all you could come up with?

Actually, Teproc's was 4001st post, and silver's was 4002nd post. It is a common mistake to confuse the N-th reply with the N-th post. The real 4000th post, that I am going to share with my faithful readers as a WORLD EXCLUSIVE, was:

Which looks like prime out-of-context material. Thank you, soulnet!

I hope you've enjoyed this episode of "What's The Post Number?", with pacovf. See you again for the 5000th post! Be safe, and God bless [insert country name here].
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: November 15, 2014, 10:04:33 pm »

I'm going to assume this is not sarcastic and thus explain the joke : beard can mean something else.

I had a conversation about this how this term has been misused.  It makes sense as the context of concealing infidelity.  You have a mistress and a wife, and you can't have this unattached mistress hanging around at social events.  So you hire some guy (a beard) to pose as her beau.  By all rights, he should have a beard. 

It doesn't make sense with mixing genders because, well, women don't have beards.  So the only context that it really applies to in regards to concealing sexual identity are:
1) You're a straight man, but you need a husband to give the pretense of being gay (your beard), and/or a male companion for your female companion (the beard for her)
2) You're a gay woman, but you need to give the pretense of being straight, so you need a male companion (beard) for you and/or your female companion.

So now that I've explained it, Teproc's explanation does make sense in this context, since we're talking of lesbians, though the link he provided provides a broader context (defining a beard as a man or woman) with which I disagree.

More explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_(companion).  (They include both definitions without mention of this controversy.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: November 16, 2014, 01:59:37 am »
+2

It's more that the gay man is sort of giving himself a beard - appearing more "manly" - by doing what straight men do, i.e. date a woman.

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +484
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: November 16, 2014, 10:23:49 am »
+3

Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: November 16, 2014, 11:55:15 am »

Is it a Silk Roads game?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: November 16, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »
+2

First meme!

http://m.memegenerator.net/instance/56142253

If only I could view it!

If only you could view it then it wouldn't be a meme.

Man I read this when you first posted it and was just totally confused; I tried to understand why him viewing something would stop it from being a meme. Then just now I came across it again and totally got it. Well played!  ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: November 16, 2014, 12:13:09 pm »
+8

Ah, good old "Bad At Dominion" Greg.

The only legitimate Good Guy Greg Dominion meme I've seen is "Sees you've built an unstoppable Goons engine; Lets you play it out".

A long time ago I posted about a guy I was playing with on Isotropic; when I misclicked and passed him my Colony with a Masquerade instead of a Copper; he passed it back with another Masquerade. I'm wondering if that would be "bad at Dominion Greg" or "Good Guy Greg". Technically, what he did was the wrong move in terms of doing his best to win; but I don't think that makes him bad at Dominion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: November 16, 2014, 12:24:41 pm »
+3

So I fell victim to one of the classic blunders in an IRL game last week:

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: November 16, 2014, 12:29:57 pm »
+1

Ah, good old "Bad At Dominion" Greg.

The only legitimate Good Guy Greg Dominion meme I've seen is "Sees you've built an unstoppable Goons engine; Lets you play it out".

A long time ago I posted about a guy I was playing with on Isotropic; when I misclicked and passed him my Colony with a Masquerade instead of a Copper; he passed it back with another Masquerade. I'm wondering if that would be "bad at Dominion Greg" or "Good Guy Greg". Technically, what he did was the wrong move in terms of doing his best to win; but I don't think that makes him bad at Dominion.

I'd say both. In fact, i think a lot of the "Bad at Dominion" Gregs are still "Good Guy Gregs". Saying that Greg can't be a good guy and bad at Dominion at the same time is like saying that if you give money to the homeless you are not nice, but instead bad at getting rich.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:50 pm »
+6

I would say doing something to reverse a mistake that never would have happened playing IRL (misclicks) is being nice, and is not also being bad at Dominion.  I mean, if I win the game (only) because my opponent accidentally passed me a Colony, I can't say I won because I was better at Dominion, so being nice and giving it back isn't really playing badly unless it is taken out of context of the prior mistake.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: November 16, 2014, 01:00:23 pm »
+1

So I fell victim to one of the classic blunders in an IRL game last week:

To be fair, my doctor did have superb trashing luck.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: November 16, 2014, 01:02:09 pm »

I would say doing something to reverse a mistake that never would have happened playing IRL (misclicks) is being nice, and is not also being bad at Dominion.  I mean, if I win the game (only) because my opponent accidentally passed me a Colony, I can't say I won because I was better at Dominion, so being nice and giving it back isn't really playing badly unless it is taken out of context of the prior mistake.

Ultimately it comes down to a pedantic nitpick.  If you're six years old, you're good enough at Dominion to know that passing the Colony is more likely to make you lose.  Then you could debate about whether knowing the optimal move or actually making it is what makes one "good" at Dominion, and the less we try to definitively argue one way or the other about something that's really a subjective choice of definition, the better.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: November 16, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »
+2

Ultimately it comes down to a pedantic nitpick.  If you're six years old, you're good enough at Dominion to know that passing the Colony is more likely to make you lose.  Then you could debate about whether knowing the optimal move or actually making it is what makes one "good" at Dominion, and the less we try to definitively argue one way or the other about something that's really a subjective choice of definition, the better.

It's the difference between "being good at Dominion" and "being good at winning a Dominion tournament."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4024 on: November 16, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »

First meme!

http://m.memegenerator.net/instance/56142253

If only I could view it!

If only you could view it then it wouldn't be a meme.

Man I read this when you first posted it and was just totally confused; I tried to understand why him viewing something would stop it from being a meme. Then just now I came across it again and totally got it. Well played!  ;D

I got it now thanks to this post. Man, I'm stupid, I even thought of the same joke before qmech posted it but couldn't think of a good way to put it into words.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.