Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157376 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »

Which g&g cards are class specific?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 08:28:39 pm »

So far, my favourite card in the revealed card list is Mekgineer Thermaplugg. It's not that he's particularly powerful, but I find the concept of spawning Leper Gnomes in the end game really cool.

I think this is cool entirely because of the way they brought a dungeon mechanic from WOW straight into HS.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 08:30:19 pm »

Blue border are mage, White border is Priest, Red is Warrior.

Mage has Flamecannon, which isn't super amazing, the conditional mad bomber type card, and the unstable portal which is just terrible.

Priest has the mech giving health minions, -2 attack minion and the new buff

Warrior has the Spinning Blades card.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »

Of the ones that have been shown, three are Priest and three are Mage cards... but they've shown 2 Rare and 1 Common for Mage, and 2 Common and 1 Rare for Priest.  There's also an Epic Warrior card.  This implies strongly that there will be, at least, 2 Common, 2 Rare, and 1 Epic class-specific cards for each class.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Spinning Blades could be great against the late-gamers who drop big minions -- lots of damage and guaranteed to kill one, pop divine shields, etc.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 09:38:10 pm »

I like Clockwork Giant as the anti-Handlock giant.

It's interesting at least, not sure how much play it'll see though.
At minimum, I'd be very surprised if Backspace Rogue decks didn't adopt clockwork giant. By "Backspace Rogue", I mean the aggro rogue deck that runs Coldlight Oracles and King Mukla to counter Miracle Rogue and greedy control decks. See http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/459166-backspace-rogue. Since you're planning to spam your opponent's hand with cards anyway, you should have a good shot at a cheap giant.

Mage has Flamecannon, which isn't super amazing
Flamecannon ought to be a stellar arena card. It's basically a second Frostbolt, with the additional bonus that Flamecannon+ping is another 4 mana way to remove a Yeti (on top of Fireball). Also, it can hit Faerie Dragon, Spectral Knight, and stealthed minions (Shade of Naxxramas and Jungle Panther come to mind). Crazy. I think the unreliability will usually be not a problem, because as a Mage you can ping off 1 health minions, and for most minions with 2+ health, you're happy to use 2 mana to remove them.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »

In arena flamecannon is good true. I don't except to see it constructed.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 01:13:36 am »

I'd be surprised too, but it's worth noting that it kills stealthed Auctioneers if it's the only thing out.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 09:59:07 am »

I'd be surprised too, but it's worth noting that it kills stealthed Auctioneers if it's the only thing out.
It might be something I'd try out in constructed, but unlike Frostbolt it lacks the ability of attacking face. Flamecannon is less versatile in that way.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 12:11:35 pm »

My rapid-fire initial impressions:
 - Dr Boom seems good.
 - Mimiron+Conceal the new Miralce finisher?
 - Bouncing Blade seems neat for Control Warrior -- good interactions with Armorsmith and Aco or can be straight up removal when you have nothing on the board.
 - Piloted Sky Golem is like a way worse Cairne, but should be good in arena. Piloted Shredder offers that same Harvest Golem look at 4, which is nice.
 - Bomb Lobber should be decent. If they have a single minion, it's like Argent Commander. The effect also seems decent on Flamecannon for arena or some sort of control Mage
 - I like all the Priest ones.
 - Clockwerk Gnome and Tinkertown Tech should be good in some sort of tempo deck that can do well with the spare parts.
 - Spider Tank should become a top card in Arena, best neutral common 3-drop.

Arena offering only G&G packs and not the old cards means I will probably never get to complete my collection. I don't think I wan to buy old packs and have no plan on crafting something like Far Sight. And I will be forced to craft the legendaries that I want, since I can no longer hope to luck upon them...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 01:07:21 pm »

Arena offering only G&G packs and not the old cards means I will probably never get to complete my collection. I don't think I wan to buy old packs and have no plan on crafting something like Far Sight. And I will be forced to craft the legendaries that I want, since I can no longer hope to luck upon them...

Until you finish the G&G collection. Then maybe you can buy packs.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »

Piloted Shredder offers that same Harvest Golem look at 4, which is nice.
I kinda dislike the way they did the RNG on this card. I don't mind RNG in general, but I like it better when whether the outcome is good or not depends on the situation and how you use it. For example, if Piloted Shredder only dropped 2-drops of similar power like Raptors, Crocs, and Pint-Sized Summoners, that'd be neat--kinda like how Animal Companion works. The wording makes it sound like it could also drop a Captain's Parrot or Millhouse Manastorm, either of which would be pretty awful for one of the players.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 06:45:27 pm »

I kinda dislike the way they did the RNG on this card. I don't mind RNG in general, but I like it better when whether the outcome is good or not depends on the situation and how you use it. For example, if Piloted Shredder only dropped 2-drops of similar power like Raptors, Crocs, and Pint-Sized Summoners, that'd be neat--kinda like how Animal Companion works. The wording makes it sound like it could also drop a Captain's Parrot or Millhouse Manastorm, either of which would be pretty awful for one of the players.
Don't forget Novice Engineer.

Now, the minion that swaps a friendly minion for one of equal cost is interesting. It can turn cards with battlecries but subpar stats like Novice Engineer and Stormpike Commando into a minion that is likely to have better stats.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 10:12:47 pm »

I don't think all the Animal Companions are all that close in value. In most common situations, Huffer > Misha >>> Leokk. And I don't think Millhouse/Engi/Parrot ruin the card. There's a LOT of 3/2s and 2/3s and 2/2s and not a ton of things that are too far off of that, so the chances that you'll get the huge RNG boost are like the chances of a Mad Bomber killing a 2/3 or something.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 11:55:13 pm »

I think the small shredder will be good as 2 drops are more consistent. 4 drops are not all close in strength, especially since many have battle crys that make up for low stats, so the epic shredder isn't so hot.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 07:56:43 am »

I don't think all the Animal Companions are all that close in value. In most common situations, Huffer > Misha >>> Leokk. And I don't think Millhouse/Engi/Parrot ruin the card. There's a LOT of 3/2s and 2/3s and 2/2s and not a ton of things that are too far off of that, so the chances that you'll get the huge RNG boost are like the chances of a Mad Bomber killing a 2/3 or something.
Yes, Leokk is usually not as good as the other two, but at least it's the same ballpark of power, and sometimes it's actually the best result. Nowhere near 1/1 vs 4/4. I'm not saying that Animal Companion has the fairest possible effect, but it's not needlessly swingy, in my opinion. Though at least with the shredder, by specifying the mana cost, they've moved away from Bane of Doom level swinginess, so that's nice.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 10:21:01 am »

Yes, Leokk is usually not as good as the other two, but at least it's the same ballpark of power, and sometimes it's actually the best result. Nowhere near 1/1 vs 4/4. I'm not saying that Animal Companion has the fairest possible effect, but it's not needlessly swingy, in my opinion. Though at least with the shredder, by specifying the mana cost, they've moved away from Bane of Doom level swinginess, so that's nice.

Webspinner is super swingy
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

I cant remember the last time a beast from webspinner changed anyone's game. Even when they get King Krush.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:59 am »

Rag, too.  Rag is at or near the top of the charts in both power and swingyness, and its still a super interesting, fun, and challenging card to play.. nothing apart from the guy who drops legends seems close to rag in randomness.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:15 am »

I cant remember the last time a beast from webspinner changed anyone's game. Even when they get King Krush.

I don't run highmane so when it drops highmane my game gets changed pretty spectacularly. then again, I don't run webspinner anymore.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 11:42:46 am »

I don't run highmane so when it drops highmane my game gets changed pretty spectacularly. then again, I don't run webspinner anymore.

I don't see any Hunter decks that don't run highmane. Since the Buzzard nerf, extreme aggro Hunter isnt a thing, and highmanes are pretty much in every deck.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:35 am »

I don't see any Hunter decks that don't run highmane. Since the Buzzard nerf, extreme aggro Hunter isnt a thing, and highmanes are pretty much in every deck.

Well, you haven't seen mine, then.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »

Well, you haven't seen mine, then.

Obviously not. Maybe it's worse though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 01:51:26 pm »

I posted a game a couple weeks ago where my only hope of a win was for my Webspinner to turn into Krush, and it did.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »
+1

Although I didn't mention Webspinner, it's a great example of a card that is much less swingy than it is random, which is my favourite kind of randomness. The clever thing about Webspinner is giving you the full card, including mana cost and battlecry. Usually this means that the card goodness is at most 1 mana off from what you spend on it, because the cards you get are at least vaguely balanced (except for Captain's Parrot because you don't have pirates in your deck), so at least the tempo swing is limited even though the value swing may be significant.

The thing I find more swingy about the shredder is that by skipping the battlecry, it skips part of what makes the card (vaguely) balanced.

I'm sure shredder will be mostly fine even if it's worth playing. I'm just disappointed that they didn't re-use the clever solution they had for Webspinner. Imagine something like "Deathrattle: Put a random 2-cost minion in your hand. It costs (2) less." OK, Captain's Parrot is still a problem there, but it handles Novice Engineer, Millhouse Manastorm, Succubus, and whatever else.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:23:42 pm by blueblimp »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 20 queries.