Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sea Hag vs Trashing  (Read 3862 times)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
Sea Hag vs Trashing
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:16:19 am »
+2

Code: [Select]
Vagrant, Horse Traders, Mining Village, Sea Hag, Horn of Plenty, Market, Trading Post, Upgrade, Altar, Farmland
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141104/log.5062f3dc51c3843e7939eb9f.1415110293517.txt

So, I looked at the board, saw sea hag, but saw lots of trashing, especially Upgrade, which I thought was a good counter to sea hag (since if you get hagged with upgrade in hand, you can just draw that curse). I know upgrade is slightly weaker with shelters, as Upgrading shelters give estate/vagrant, whereas upgrading estates gives silvers, but I didn't think it was that important. However, I lost comfortably.

Was my thinking wrong, or just the execution/luck? Or would trading post have been better, even though it was terminal?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Hag vs Trashing
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:38 am »
+3

I'd skip hag here, but it's close. Buying it won't set you that far back. your big mistakes were
-> opening vagrant (either go silver/silver or silver/HT)
-> buying a second HT

you want to spike 6$ early if possible, because altar is very strong (which is the main reason why I wouldn't buy hag, silver/HT can spike 6$ in T3/4 and then you're far ahead). You can't do that very well with vagrant. And I'd probably buy one trading post over the first upgrade, it gets rid of two cards instead of one.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:44 am »
+2

In this sort of kingdom you buy the sea hag immediately or not at all. Horse traders isn't strong either unless your opponent opens with the sea hag since trading post, farmland, upgrade and altar all want to trash your worst cards rather than see them discarded.

You both also prepared your decks for a long time and then ran out the estate pile. This shows that a better focus on income would have given you more spending for the end game.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:07:35 pm »

I would do HT/silver.  The big deal about HT is that you are basically guaranteed to hit 5 t3/t4 (bad luck happens though).  You would never skip it in this situation because you are always able to upgrade it later (if need be) into market or something.

And yeah.  Skip the hag.  Also, I think your first 5 might want to be trading post rather than upgrade, especially because you had shelters.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:08:28 pm »

Semi-off topic but I actually prefer Upgrade with Shelters on this board. I'm tunneling on the $5 cantrips + Altar here, and in that deck you don't need too many Silvers, plus Vagrant is entirely reasonable here. If it pulls a Curse, you get more stuff in hand to trash. You'll probably get enough Silvers from a 1x Trading Post to be okay with it.

Without Trading Post, it's more sketchy, but with it you can get enough economy to keep hitting $5 while trashing.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 05:14:55 pm »

Semi-off topic but I actually prefer Upgrade with Shelters on this board. I'm tunneling on the $5 cantrips + Altar here, and in that deck you don't need too many Silvers, plus Vagrant is entirely reasonable here. If it pulls a Curse, you get more stuff in hand to trash. You'll probably get enough Silvers from a 1x Trading Post to be okay with it.

Without Trading Post, it's more sketchy, but with it you can get enough economy to keep hitting $5 while trashing.
Also trashing Overgrown Estate is always nice.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:39 pm »

Am I totally wrong here if I claim that this is a "Horn baord"?

I'd open HT/Silver, hit 5 for Upgrade (maybe Trading Post) or 6 for Alter.

Then I'd get like 3 Upgrades, 2 Markets and then lots of Horns. Gain some Vagrants and Villages.

With Upgrade/Market/Mining Village/Vagrant/Altar/HT/Silver/Horn you've got 8 uniques. I mean, you can't megaturn without draw, But you can sure get a really good deck. Actually, I think, a Sea Hag would help my opponent rather then harm - except for the Turn 3 lucky punch maybe.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »
+1

You have to set up your deck for 8-unique HoP turns whereas a more consistent strategy is to just trash your stuff to Silvers or Markets and accumulate Provinces with the occasional aid of Farmland.

Without draw, HoP has a serious stop card problem. Your plan has some big flaws that you overlooked. Upgrade is -1 to hand size. Altar is -2 to hand size. HT is -3 to hand size. Treasure cards stop you from drawing cards during your Action phase. If you start with a 5-card hand, how are you going to be able to play Upgrade, Altar, and HT, when none of their effects are conditional?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:48:00 pm »
+1

With Upgrade/Market/Mining Village/Vagrant/Altar/HT/Silver/Horn you've got 8 uniques.

And a hand size of -1, if you get lucky and Vagrant finds a junk cards.

EDIT: A junk cards, super good English right there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:55:17 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »

You have to set up your deck for 8-unique HoP turns whereas a more consistent strategy is to just trash your stuff to Silvers or Markets and accumulate Provinces with the occasional aid of Farmland.

Without draw, HoP has a serious stop card problem. Your plan has some big flaws that you overlooked. Upgrade is -1 to hand size. Altar is -2 to hand size. HT is -3 to hand size. Treasure cards stop you from drawing cards during your Action phase. If you start with a 5-card hand, how are you going to be able to play Upgrade, Altar, and HT, when none of their effects are conditional?

OOps. :D

But you could at least use onw Horn to gain more Markets.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.