Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reminding me why I love Dominion  (Read 1892 times)

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
Reminding me why I love Dominion
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:22:12 pm »
+3

Today I played my first games of online dominion since the end of Season three. Most of them were fairly normal but there was one that made me frankly giddy and I wanted to share it.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20141102/log.516d3566e4b082c74d7b3ec8.1414985552984.txt

Code: [Select]
Urchin, Noble Brigand, Thief, Throne Room, Trader, Wandering Minstrel, Cartographer, Governor, Rogue, Possession
(if anyone feels like telling me how to use the prettifier then I'll fix this up)

So I started out hoping that I'd be able to get off Governor (with Mercenary setup) before Possession came into play (which was a terrible plan in hindsight) but my opponent rushed Possession and quickly stopped that notion. I then started trashing down almost immediately, thinking that remodelling a gold early would give me an edge in vp if we had an outright stall. But we didn't, my opponent hit a province off a bunch of silver and didn't trash his deck down much yet I still couldn't hit a province with his deck while he was possessed (and to make matters worse he managed to gain a gold with Governor and draw it with another one after my double possession turn). I was a bit frustrated with my luck at this point and when my opponent started remodelling both my and his stuff into Duchies we both thought he was in control of the game. But then I realised that my deck was small enough that I could probably make gold and then remodel it in the same turn. I lost a few possession plays having to throne room Governor to pull it off but I did and I started catching up. My opponent finished piling out the duchies and started trying to rush through virtually anything to let him end the game but on my 13th turn possessing my opponent I finally hit province money and managed to close out the game with a remodel on my turn. As a bonus my opponent and I exchanged a couple of complimentary words postgame.

I know people hate possession but it made this game epic (61 turns in total with plenty of tension later on) and reminded me what I've been missing out on.

If anyone wants to analyse the board or either of our play feel free but I just posted this because I wanted to share.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:15:58 am by Aidan Millow »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Reminding me why I love Dominion
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:08:23 am »
+1

(Search for the game at gokosalvager.com, then click Kingdom.)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:22:13 pm »

Without reading the log, I am pretty certain this is a Governor/Possession engine with Mercenary for early trashing.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 03:35:52 am »

Without reading the log, I am pretty certain this is a Governor/Possession engine with Mercenary for early trashing.

That makes this a curious board with discard to X and Governor but where you don't in fact want to play the discard attack.  Except possibly on yourself?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.