Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pirate Lair  (Read 2267 times)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
Pirate Lair
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:00:46 am »

Pirate Lair - Action/VP -  $5
Put a token on your Pirate Lair mat.
At the end of the game, Pirate Lair is worth VP depending on the number of coins on the Pirate Lair mat as follows:
0: 0VP; 1-2: 1VP; 3-5: 2VP; 6-9: 3VP; 10-14: 4VP; 15-20: 5VP; 21+: 6VP

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Lair
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 02:16:54 pm »
+1

Oh, it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a pirate...uh, Prince.

Needs to be played 10 times to be better than Duchy; 5 times to be competitive with Duchy. Kinda niche.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:42:54 am »

Oh, it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a pirate...uh, Prince.

Needs to be played 10 times to be better than Duchy; 5 times to be competitive with Duchy. Kinda niche.
Or just compare it to Monument, and try to think of a situation where you would want this card over it. I can only assume there was supposed to be a +$ bonus on this card, or a +1 Card, +1 Action, because otherwise it just doesn't make any sense.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »

Or just compare it to Monument, and try to think of a situation where you would want this card over it. I can only assume there was supposed to be a +$ bonus on this card, or a +1 Card, +1 Action, because otherwise it just doesn't make any sense.

It's not strictly worse than Monument since the VP value is, I presume, multiplied by the number of Pirate Lairs you have. But it does seem very weak for a $5 card.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »

I can only assume there was supposed to be a +$ bonus on this card, or a +1 Card, +1 Action, because otherwise it just doesn't make any sense.

That wasn't my intention; instead I wanted a VP card which counted something that other ones haven't yet.  That said, I think it could have +1 action and still be compatible with what I had in mind.

Your comparison to Monument is a good way of looking at this.  I'd priced it at $5 to avoid having it in the opening hand, but now I'm not sure that that would be a problem.  How would you feel about it at $3?  Or at $4 with +1 action?

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »

It's not strictly worse than Monument since the VP value is, I presume, multiplied by the number of Pirate Lairs you have.

Yes, exactly.  Each card is worth the amount stated.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:29:45 pm »

What's wrong with having a linear scale? You can just cap it by saying "but no more than X VP."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.514 seconds with 20 queries.