Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Streaming annotated Dominion  (Read 12585 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Streaming annotated Dominion
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:26 am »

You know what else would be awesome? If we could watch games that we weren't playing, particularly for tournament formats. Of course, this is a pipe dream, and it would be a total headache for programming in something like isotropic. Maybe it's something we can hope for in the commercial version.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Streaming annotated Dominion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:52:15 am »

If you have a good speaking voice you could do something like the Magic video draft walkthroughs on channel fireball (http://www.channelfireball.com/category/video-archive/ )

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:50:03 am »

You can live stream your computer screen without game-specific software.  Just set up a stream on livestream.com, it's not too hard.  Lots of players I know complain about how their game doesn't have replays yet so they end up using livestream to record games.

And yeah it's also live if that's more exciting

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:17 am »

You know what else would be awesome? If we could watch games that we weren't playing, particularly for tournament formats. Of course, this is a pipe dream, and it would be a total headache for programming in something like isotropic. Maybe it's something we can hope for in the commercial version.
I was planning to do annotated games by recording my screen and offering simultaneous commentary on my decisions.  I was then going to ask the semifinalists to record their games, then put up videos of my commentary on their play.

I haven't yet found a good game to record and annotate, however.  I played a couple with Frisk, but they all ended up being pretty boring Kingdoms.

Does this sound like a good idea?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:06:49 pm »
+3

Started doing this earlier today, following this thread:
http://www.livestream.com/wanderingWinder/
One test video up right now. I sound like I have a cold, it wasn't a terribly entertaining game, you can barely make out the card names with the resolution it had, and there are some technical difficulties at the end. Also I was eating tortilla chips.
I've been having some issues recently with really normal programs (usually a browser or game that's not really given me problems in the past, occasionally something like MS Word, sometimes windows explorer) eating all my processing power. Happened here at the end of the recording. My laptop is 6 months old, but I think something's gotten messed up inside it. Will have the EEs and programmer in my family (yay for having family in town this weekend) take a look at it.
Anyway, I'm excited.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:10:27 pm »

Very nice!

TeamLiquid has a column on the right with links to people's livestreams.  Perhaps we could do the same.

Though, let's be honest, watching others play Dominion is not as exciting as watching others play Starcraft.  I think these videos would be much better suited if geared towards beginner players.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:16:17 pm »

Though, let's be honest, watching others play Dominion is not as exciting as watching others play Starcraft.

Yes, but it's more exciting than watching people play chess.

Also, the first ~4 minutes of your average SC2 match are really, really dull... a simple kingdom can make a whole Dominion game about that long.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:37 pm »

One test video up right now. I sound like I have a cold, it wasn't a terribly entertaining game, you can barely make out the card names with the resolution it had, and there are some technical difficulties at the end. Also I was eating tortilla chips.
I've been having some issues recently with really normal programs (usually a browser or game that's not really given me problems in the past, occasionally something like MS Word, sometimes windows explorer) eating all my processing power. Happened here at the end of the recording. My laptop is 6 months old, but I think something's gotten messed up inside it. Will have the EEs and programmer in my family (yay for having family in town this weekend) take a look at it.
Anyway, I'm excited.

:(

I will read your posts in a horrible American accent for the rest of eternity. For some reason everybody has a British accent in my head until I've heard their real voice, even if I know they are not British. I guess it's because I'm used to it and also it's so much better to listen to that other accents.

On a more serious note: Sort out the resolution issues and this could be awesome. Also, if this gets more serious, try not to eat while recording lol

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:42:54 pm »

Anyway, I'm excited.

:(

I will read your posts in a horrible American accent for the rest of eternity. For some reason everybody has a British accent in my head until I've heard their real voice, even if I know they are not British. I guess it's because I'm used to it and also it's so much better to listen to that other accents.

On a more serious note: Sort out the resolution issues and this could be awesome. Also, if this gets more serious, try not to eat while recording lol
Well, the whole thing was just trying to test if the software worked. I would have, you know, tried to produce something halfway to quality if I were doing it 'for real'. And of course not eat. And possibly bust out an accent.
We'll see if I can get the issues resolved - I tried it again a bit ago and it's locking everything up pretty hard.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »

I didn't mind the accent, but the eating made me cringe.
Resolution is an issue.
Also, explain more what you're doing and why: people will not realize you're putting everything on the mat and only take it off for the mega-turn. This will be invaluable to less experienced players!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »

I was reading your post and I was like, "has a cold? still worth a watch.  boring kingdom?  hey most of them are.  Eating tortilla chips? I'm not going to click this link"

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

I tried to do something like this for race for the galaxy.  I recorded and post edited silence out of the video (maybe iso dom games are quicker, so it's less needed). 

http://vimeo.com/10900671
http://vimeo.com/11014778

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:10:11 pm »

I knew you were going to be streaming the game, but saving it? Oh no! hahaha...

Hmm.. I wonder if opening Swinder would have been better than sea hag since there were going to be lighthouses all game anyway.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »
+1

I've got a couple more up. They're better, but still not good yet. I'm still working out the kinks. And I need to remind myself a) to turn the notification sound off when I'm recording (it comes through much better on the recordings than through my speakers), and b) to talk more throughout the game.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 04:54:13 am »

Just watched the new games and I must say, w_quasi was much better :D Thanks!

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 01:25:56 am »

w_quasi is an interesting game. No one interested in the university here? I thought I would open steward+potion...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:18:43 am »

I've got a couple more up. They're better, but still not good yet. I'm still working out the kinks. And I need to remind myself a) to turn the notification sound off when I'm recording (it comes through much better on the recordings than through my speakers), and b) to talk more throughout the game.
I just watched the game against quasi and I have some comments. Indeed, as you point out, I think it would be better to talk more throughout the game. Of course, playing your Peddlers is something you can do on auto pilot, buy I would have liked some insight into your Haven decisions. If you would have talked about them, I think you would probably have made better decisions as well. That Estate you bought wasn't really necessary, was it? You could have easily bought a Menagerie or another Steward at that point, you were miles ahead.

So I think you made some small mistakes and I'm saying this not to criticize you - I make them myself all the time! - but to encourage you to talk about your decisions more which inevitably leads to making less mistakes and better enjoyment for your viewers.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 06:01:50 am »

on a similar note, I noticed that you check the info panel a lot. This is obviously a good thing to do and you wouldn't be a top-level player if you didn't, but when you do it you do it very quickly and you don't tell us why you're doing it. I assume most of the time you're checking the score but when it flashes past and with the low-quality recording, I can't check that myself while I'm watching. It would probably be better for viewers (and more informative to lower-level players) to say something like "What's the score? Okay, I'm winning 22-18 which is a four point lead so even if he buys a Duchy this turn I can afford to take the penultimate Province on my turn", just so we know what you were looking at, why you were looking at it, and what you found out by looking at it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 06:08:05 am »

Maybe it's just a nervous habit, I do it myself sometimes when my opponent's turn takes a lot of time.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

on a similar note, I noticed that you check the info panel a lot. This is obviously a good thing to do and you wouldn't be a top-level player if you didn't, but when you do it you do it very quickly and you don't tell us why you're doing it. I assume most of the time you're checking the score but when it flashes past and with the low-quality recording, I can't check that myself while I'm watching. It would probably be better for viewers (and more informative to lower-level players) to say something like "What's the score? Okay, I'm winning 22-18 which is a four point lead so even if he buys a Duchy this turn I can afford to take the penultimate Province on my turn", just so we know what you were looking at, why you were looking at it, and what you found out by looking at it.
Davio's probably mostly right, I'm bored. But often, I also do this to look at how many cards are left in the draw and discard piles...

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:16:08 am »

I do it too for many reasons, but my point is, tell us why you're doing it when you do it.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:48:26 pm »

Not watched these yet, but interesting concept, will have to get round to checking them out.

What caught my eye in this thread and prompted a post was the part about maybe clicking on the info panel out of boredom. It might be worth setting up and having (for example) a dominiondeck.com visual layout open in another tab so you can switch to that one and do a bit of discussion/analysis in the gaps (also so we get the real pictures, which is always nice).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:50:34 pm by Octo »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 09:55:28 am »
+5

I posted recordings of my live thoughts on the tournament match I played with timchen (allfail) last night. FYI

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 09:59:57 am »

I watched all seven games and even at my level, I learned a lot from them. I must say that this is by far my favourite format for match reports. I try to keep up with most things posted on the forums but I told myself at the beginning of this tournament "there is no way I'm reading through 7 game reports each from two people each for the hundreds of matches that this is going to take", and I haven't. Other than my match, this is the only one I've watched/read a report of, and I actually read the text reports from both sides too because I'd seen the matches and knew what they were talking about.

I'm looking forward to more.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »

good stuff, much appreciated. the turn by turn decisions are what i love. watched one of them through and have listened to a few at work.

and as a side note, i liked seeing the book open in one of your other tabs.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.578 seconds with 20 queries.