Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Endgame analysis paralysis makes me time out  (Read 1396 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Endgame analysis paralysis makes me time out
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:36 pm »
+5

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141031/log.50d50910e4b0e06e52ee3be2.1414806936769.txt

Code: [Select]
Develop, Trade Route, Cutpurse, Feodum, Salvager, Wandering Minstrel, Outpost, Rabble, Altar, King's Court
What a kingdom! I open 5/2, which is a disadvantage, but my opponent makes some questionable treasure buys over trashing, and I get a big lead. I run into some economy troubles but double turns and trade route/feodum fix that, and I get KCs. Turn 12 I decide I'm going to try to win. I draw my deck, play outpost, and get province, KC, and coppers. I definitely should not have gotten the province, that was stupid. I could have won much more easily without it (getting more engine pieces would let me 3-pile easily on the outpost turn. I suppose I was worried about drawing dead and my opponent 3-piling. I also wanted 4 coin trade route for some reason). On my outpost turn, I am forced to KC a wandering minstrel early to ensure I can draw it all. After I do so, AP sets in. I think and think about how I can empty piles on a win for a long time. Eventually I worry that I will time out, but still can't think of what card to play to avoid timing out (do I start the KC chain or not?) and I actually do time out. I still am not sure if I could have ended the game with a win that turn.

That brings me to the main reason I am posting this, as a puzzle to all of you. I'll tell you what the state was at the end of that turn, and hopefully somebody can find a way to win.

5 actions, 1 buy, 0 coins
Empty deck and discard
Hand: 2 KC, 2 Rabble, 2 silver, 2 copper, Necropolis, Trade Route, Altar, Province, Wandering Minstrel
Trade Route is worth 4 coins, each victory card pile has 7 cards in it, except feodum has 6.
Supply: No piles empty, 1 wandering minstrel, 1 Rabble still in the supply. 7 trade routes, 5 KC in the supply. Other piles have 8 or more cards remaining.

Ideas: Use altar to gain develop(s) which are used to gain other things. I need to empty estates or feoda most likely, though another pile could be possible (?). I can pick up the rabble and wandering minstrel pretty easily. Hmmm, this is looking pretty hard. The buys are hard to get more than 4 of, and it's hard to gain and play too many cards. Developing silver/rabbles seems likely key.

On another note, I don't really like the Goko auto-kick (it doesn't even help against slow rollers really). There should be a way for me to be able to think for as long as I want. If you want to play a game where I don't get as long to think as I want, timed dominion should be implemented, but that's another thread.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Endgame analysis paralysis makes me time out
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:28:58 pm »
+4

On another note, I don't really like the Goko auto-kick (it doesn't even help against slow rollers really).

It helps against people who disconnect though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:50:49 pm »
+5

KC
  KC
    Altar - trashing Copper, Copper, Province --> gain Feodum, Rabble, Develop
    WM   - draw that stuff
    Trade Route - trashing Feodum, Necro, Silver

Should have 10 actions now, 4 buys and $12. 3 Silvers in discard.

Develop - trash Rabble --> Altar/Feodum
Rabble - draws Altar/Feodum/Silver
Altar - trash Feodum ---> gain WM
Rabble - Draw 3 Silvers or 2 Silvers and WM

Got plenty of money and 4 buys to buy 4 Feoda.

I tried to figure this out for a while without seeing you had a WM in hand.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:51 pm »
+1

This may work:

Action 1:  Altar a copper->Dvlp
    Hand: 2KC, 2 Rbble, 2 S, 1 C, Necro, TR, P, WM
Action 2:  Rabble (draw Dvlp)
Action 3:  KC - KC
          1st KC card: Dvlp: P->KC, S->E,F, WM->Dvlp,Rabble
          2nd KC card: Rabble; hand is now KC,Rabble,S,C,Necro,TR,E,F,Dvlp
          3rd KC card: KC
                 1st KC card: Dvp: F->Outpost,Dvlp (also get 3 silver), E->Dvlp, S->F,E
                 2nd KC card: Rabble; hand is now 4 S, C, Necro, TR,E,F,2 Dvlp,Outpost
                 3rd KC card: Dvlp: S->F,E; S->F,E; S->F,E
Action 4: Dvlp Outpost-> WM, Gold
Action 5: TR Necro

Hand is S,C, plus 4 coins from TR.  Buy F and whatever you want with the extra 3.

Gained 1WM, 1 Rabble, 6 Feoda to end the game

PPE:  MicQ has a solution too, but different from mine
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.