Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kings courting a card that gets trashed  (Read 1677 times)

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Kings courting a card that gets trashed
« on: October 31, 2014, 02:43:23 am »
+1

So basically I'm wondering how do you know which cards you can kings court or procession or that style when it says trash this card.

I know things like pillage will get played all 3 times. Do things like kings courting a knight that hits their knight after the first 2 cards still keep going? I think madman can't get doubled? Or maybe I'm wrong there also.

On the note of madman it says return it to supply. Does that happen immediatly or does madmen count for things like peddler still in lowering the cost.

is there a small list or something I can memorize that will let me know what cards can't be tripled?
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Kings courting a card that gets trashed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:58:21 am »
+9

Any card you play with King's Court is played three times.  This is always true.  The difference is in how those effects are carried out.  As with most Dominion questions, the answer is evident by just following the text on the cards carefully.

First consider Pillage.  The first time you play it is easy.  The second time, follow the text.  It says "Trash this."  Well, it's already trashed.  KC is just playing a phantom copy or something, so you can't trash it again.  Then it says "Each other player..." and so on.  You carry out all those effects, and you do it again for the third play.

Now consider Madman.  The first time you play it is easy.  The second time, it says "+2 actions".  OK, you get +2 actions.  Then it says, "Return this to the Madman pile."  Well, you already did and you cannot do it again.  So let's read on.  "If you do, +1 Card per card in your hand."  Oh, but you didn't!  Since you did not meet the condition, you do not get that second part.  So the result of KC-Madman is +6 actions and double your original hand size.

Knights take effect all 3 times, even if they get trashed in one of the plays.

Peddler says that it costs less per Action card you have in play, so if a card gets trashed or returned to the supply as a result of getting played, it will no longer count towards Peddler's cost reduction.  KC-Woodcutter would only reduce Peddler down to $4 because only 2 cards end up in play, even though Woodcutter gets played thrice. 

Conspirator only cares about played action cards, not what remains in play, so Conspirators will be activated after KC-Madman even though the Madman disappears.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Kings courting a card that gets trashed
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:09:35 pm »
+3

Allthough i'm just reiterating what somebody said on a similar question about Throne Room, don't consider King's Court to "triple" a card. It's not simple the effect you get three times, it's actually you playing the card once, doing all it says, and then playing it two more times. As eHalcyon pointed out, this may include that the card is not in play during the second and third play, and especially that it cannot be trashed/returned to the supply if that happened before. "If you do" is extremely important for those cards and the reason why Feast can be tripled while Mining Village's trash bonus can not.

Pardon for repeating something just in other words, but maybe two ways of saying the same thing are a help after all. If not, just downvote my post by clicking on that suspiciously upwards-pointing arrow to the right ;)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.