assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
Re: MTG
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:19 am »

I used to play it for 8 years during my youth but stopped playing 10 years ago. I've spent all my money for it during that time.
That's probably the reason why I stopped playing: It's an awesome game but way too expensive if you want to keep up to date.
And yeah, deck building is great! I used to spend boring school classes with a sheet of paper thinking about deck compositions :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:20:47 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
+1

I would be at summer camp as a kid in the great outdoors experiencing nature... and playing Magic.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:03 am »

What does everyone think about the return of Morph?

3/3 for 2 2/2 for 3 isn't what it used to be and Morph is kinda hard to judge in vacuum - you need to see all the cards and morph triggers and test out a bit to see if it is really worth it. It's a fun mechanic, thou, IMHO. Especially in limited.
So far no Morph spoiled is that impressive, mana bear is solid enough though.

People are most exicted about the new clone, I see. Being able to turn into artifacts and planeswalkers and occasional enchantment seems quite good.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:09:52 pm by Grujah »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 12:02:18 pm »
+1

3/3 for 2 isn't what it used to be
Yeah, 3/3 for 2 definitely isn't what Morph used to be.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »

Whoops. Fixed.  ;D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »

I disliked the guessery and psychology involved with morph, although I do appreciate the complexity it brings.  Limited ends up having the guessery and psychology anyway so it should just be fun and awesome.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »

Does anyone know what happens if you steal a blocker with Jeering Instigator?  Act of Treason is usually a sorcery so I'm not sure what happens.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »

Does anyone know what happens if you steal a blocker with Jeering Instigator?  Act of Treason is usually a sorcery so I'm not sure what happens.

If you steal a blocker, your creature is still blocked, but I believe they don't do any damage to one another.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:36 am »

I disliked the guessery and psychology involved with morph, although I do appreciate the complexity it brings.  Limited ends up having the guessery and psychology anyway so it should just be fun and awesome.
i dislike how hacky it is. A special action? Come on...
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2014, 01:35:08 pm »

i dislike how hacky it is. A special action? Come on...
I can feel that.  A better design might have been to make morph a normal activated ability with split-second.  That would seem less hacky to me and would have pretty much the same effect.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »

Reading the core set spoilers since i didn't pay attention to them before.  One of them is designed by Sirlin.  I'm afraid to read it..

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2014, 09:13:38 pm »

I made the mistake of reading it.  Of course he decides it needs f[RSP language]ing "yomi".

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:44 pm »

You guys going the the prerelease? What clans are you gonna choose?
Abzan seems very strong, but I am probably going with Temur (got the fatties) or Mardu (has goblins and burn, the best things in magic).

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »

I honestly want to play them all but I signed up for Temur. I'll actually be playing at a pre-release in Oakland, CA because I'm travelling for work tomorrow. Anybody from that area?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »

I never knew M:tG had an online implementation until this thread. It was never mainstream enough at my school for me to ever learn to play it. I may look into playing it online sometime. Online gaming solves the main problem of now having anyone to play with.

How much of a monetary investment would you say is needed to make things interesting and have a fighting chance against others?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »

I never knew M:tG had an online implementation until this thread. It was never mainstream enough at my school for me to ever learn to play it. I may look into playing it online sometime. Online gaming solves the main problem of now having anyone to play with.

How much of a monetary investment would you say is needed to make things interesting and have a fighting chance against others?
That depends on everything. Playing competitive constructed formats IRL or on the official online implementation requires hundreds of dollars per deck easily, but if you're just playing casually, the odds are that your opponents aren't spending that much money on it either so you can get away with a much smaller investment and still have a chance of winning. If you play limited formats (in which you go to the tournament, open some packs and build the deck out of whatever you get and play that one tournament with that deck) IRL or on the official online implementation, then you don't need any cards of your own in order to stand a chance against other players, but you have to pay for the packs and you get to keep the cards, so it's not exactly cheap in the long run unless you win a lot of prizes, but you can conveniently build up your collection while you're doing it. If you're playing on the unofficial online implementations, you don't have to invest anything, but they are worse than Goko.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »

I do not play MTGO, but from what I've heard, official implementations are that much better than Goko either. ::)

Anyway, its what Awalcus said. Depends heavily on what you want. Most formats have cheaper "entry-level" decks, and casual formats are cheap and limited is well "level ground", but entry cost per event is higher. MTGO also has "ghost draft", where you draft and you don't keep the products, and they are cheap. And Cubes are especially awesome. Some cards are way cheaper online than IRL (From what I've heard - lands (which are kinda the most important thing), and things that are on reserved list), but there are counter-examples as well, where something is way overpriced online.

But really, nobody to play with? No local FLGS that has Friday Night Magic? As IRL Magic is infinitely better, IMO.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »

I do not play MTGO, but from what I've heard, official implementations are that much better than Goko either. ::)
MTGO is really good IMO, I haven't had any negative experiences with it. Well, I don't play that much either, but sometimes I do.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 12:17:54 am »

@Grujah, okay there are Magic nights at game stores and stuff. None of my friends are into that though. If it wasn't for f.ds and Goko, I wouldn't have my Dominion fix either.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 08:22:49 am »

Well, that's that FNM is for, meet new people that are into it and have somebody to play with. :)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:41 am »

Wow, reading this thread made me feel really old.

I didn't even know what Fetchlands were. They never existed when I played. And apparently they were introduced long enough ago to make a resurgence.

I gotta say that I did miss the carefree days of building and playing deckbuilding games. In between classes we'd break out Magic, Jyhad, On the Edge, or Illuminati: New World Order. Good times.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:42:11 am by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:26 am »

So you're one of those people that know the meaning of "Deckmaster" without looking it up?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 10:50:02 am »
+2

So you're one of those people that know the meaning of "Deckmaster" without looking it up?

Not as such, no. I had to look it up, because I forgot all about the "Deckmaster" logo. It was just part of the card back, and we didn't pay any attention to it. We played Jyhad, and I knew of people who played Netrunner, but I never got into it.

I got into MtG at the end of Arabian Nights, so if there were any major discussions about the demise of the original Deckmaster plan, I wasn't part of it. Besides, my Magic community was isolated from the rest of the world. On my favorite BBS, it was discussed in the Role Playing Games forum, so it got drowned out at first until it gained enough steam to spawn a Magic forum of its own. Considering that the BBS was hard-coded to have a maximum of 200 forums, it was a big deal to create any new forum. And yeah, as you already know, Magic was that big of a deal.

So there may have been discussion of what Deckmaster meant, but I wasn't part of it (or, quite possibly, forgotten it as it wasn't as important and remembering the mana cost of a Braingeyser). We didn't care; we just wanted to play games. Not having a consistent gaming store in town, I would sometimes go home on weekends and buy up boosters for trade and ante fodder.

We didn't even adhere to tournament rules for a while because we weren't playing tournaments. Of course, it takes a degenerate deck to show us how useful tournament rules were, so we adopted that standard. I still managed to follow through on my goal of building a Black Vice deck. It was nasty and was really only beaten by a Lightning Bolt deck. The Plague Rat deck was pretty close, but it wasn't fast enough.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2014, 11:19:42 am »

You guys going the the prerelease? What clans are you gonna choose?
Abzan seems very strong, but I am probably going with Temur (got the fatties) or Mardu (has goblins and burn, the best things in magic).

I'm going ! Going with Abzan probably, haven't finished to listen to the LR set review though.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:48 am »

Well, that's that FNM is for, meet new people that are into it and have somebody to play with. :)
I didn't know M:tG was so organized. I gotta check out these FNMs sometime.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.