Author Topic: MTG  (Read 27402 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
MTG
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:24 am »

Dominion game play is mentioned in this Magic:the gathering article.

I expect there are a LOT of Dominion players who are also Mtg-addicts, but there hasn't been a poll yet.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: MTG
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:53:09 am »

My answer doesn't exist...

I don't play it, mainly because I play The Spoils that reminds a lot of MTG (since it's former MTG players that made it and tried to make it subjectively better). The money bit seem a bit true, but I could probably afford it if I wanted to play another TCG.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:25 am »

I used to play several years ago, extremely casually. But I haven't so much as picked a card up in maybe 3 years.

vandergus

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:25:26 am »

I was a kitchen table player in high school. I've played a bit recently online but not with any consistency.

As far as similarities, well, they're both played with cards. Other than that, they are quite different. While I was introducing my wife to Dominion (who I had previously tried to introduce to Magic, unsuccessfully), about half way through the first game she said, "Oh, so this really isn't like Magic at all." I laughed and said no. She likes Dominion much better.

The most interesting difference to me isn't the game play but the ability to play the game casually. Magic is much more fun to play casually because the cards are just so cool. The universe is compelling and summoning giant monsters to smash your opponent's face is fun, if not the winningest strategy. Dominion's flavor component is not nearly as developed as Magic's so it's not as enjoyable on that level. And it's not just the depth of the theme but the way the theme is connected to the mechanics of the game. It's not enough for "Vampire Lord" to have a picture of a big bad vampire on it. What it does in the game must also feel vampirey. Dominion cards don't achieve this on a consistent basis. Pirate Ships steal treasure then give you coins. Sure. A black smith draws cards? Huh? A village gives you actions? Wait, how is a village even an action in the first place. Isn't a village a thing?

But that's ok. I play Dominion for different reasons than I play Magic. I like that I can play Dominion at a high level (not that I'm there yet) without a huge investment in time or money. I like that I can introduce Dominion to a new group of people and have a fun night of gaming without a huge learning curve.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

Even though I don't play it and don't intend to, I sometimes watch Magic videos on YouTube.

It's a continuing side interest, but I'm not made of money! And I don't have a good practice partner.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:07 am »

For some years now some GPs in the vicinity, this year that was Prague and Milan. Mostly for meeting friends, the competetiv mindset is a bit gone, even when I hope to make Day2 again :-)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:18:52 pm »
+1

I play extremely casually. I have a group of friends who all wanted to play Magic without spending much money. A few of them owned some cards, and those who didn't threw in $10, which was used to buy some more. We then put all the cards together and drafted from that pile. So we had our own cards to trade with and build decks with. Every once in a while, we put them all back into the common pile again and re-draft. It works well... none of us can build super-awesome tournament level decks or anything, but we are all on equal footing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:54:29 pm »
+1

Competitive-wannabe here. Never could get myself to spend the money needed to acquire all the staples for any given season, and rarely took the time to practice (I have little enough time as it is, with two kids and a full-time job).

I play relatively well, but the skill is not refined enough for me to be anything more than a casual tournament and FNM player.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:01:19 pm »

I love the deck building aspect of the game but am always daunted by the number of options/cost in standard/extended/legacy/vintage.  I love going to limited events though, drafting or sealed.  Although to date I've only done this at casually or at prereleases.

I do like making very trolly decks like Norin the Wary paired with Confusion in the ranks.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »
+4

I love the deck building aspect of the game

Me too. I wish someone would make a game where the whole game is about building your deck, and you don't have to purchase a whole bunch of your own cards with your own money to build a competitive deck! ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

I love the deck building aspect of the game

Me too. I wish someone would make a game where the whole game is about building your deck, and you don't have to purchase a whole bunch of your own cards with your own money to build a competitive deck! ;D
I heard of something like that...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:31 pm »

Casualish player here. First started when Mirrodin came out. I haven't played MTG in a while. But I used to play at local tournaments, usually prereleases or limited, so I didn't have to worry about dropping lots of money on staples. I still read about it though.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

I played competitively for a short while (amateur prize at a GP was best I ever did), but then got into judging.  I like having my hobby supporting itself even though I'm not a great player.  I just was Head Judge for my first competitive level tournament (40 people, about $800 in cards up for prizes) at a friend's local gaming store (Gamer's Gauntlet, Clinton Twp, MI at Hall & Heydenreich) that he just opened a month ago.

I've played on and off since right after the game came out; wish I had some money back then, but I was in 7th grade....
Stop reading my signature.

Hurr

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:52 am »

I cube a lot, and play competitively online. I'd consider myself at / just below professional in terms of skill (cube is the only cardboard I play with anymore).

Silverback

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:05:48 am »

I quit playing Magic, when I began playing Dominion. It's for some reasons that have already been mentioned here. Dominion is much cheaper, doesn´t take so much time (Metagameanalyzing, acquiring cards and stuff like that) and my wife loves Dominion and hates Magic.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:27 am »
+1

I've been playing for about  5 months I think. I like to play draft & 2 headed giant the most. I plan on being Serra Angel for halloween next year 8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:39:37 am by Arya Stark »

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13:39 am »

I haven't played with the actual cards since the 90s, but I'll play in the occasional sealed deck tournament online. I'd like to put together a draft cube sometime, if I ever find some locals who are interested in casual play.

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »

The steam mtg game once in a while is enough for me. Never owned a deck but had a lot of friends who played.

Tydude

• Baron
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 08:31:09 pm »

I've always wanted to try and play because it sounds fun, but I really don't want to go out and pay money for cards and such. Is there any cheaper way to play? Like, an online version or something?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 09:21:53 pm »

I've always wanted to try and play because it sounds fun, but I really don't want to go out and pay money for cards and such. Is there any cheaper way to play? Like, an online version or something?
Read the post above you...
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:37:18 pm »

Read the post above you...

There's a steam version that has a more limited way to play the game, you can play against ai or other players but you unlock decks and cards specific to those decks so you don't get the huge variety of deckbuilding options that some people like about the game.  There also MTGO which is a full online version of the paper game, unfortunately it costs about the same to play that as the physical version.  Those are the only options that I know about that are legitimate.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

vandergus

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

There is a format called pauper that only uses common cards to build decks. Since they are the most abundant cards they are really cheap and you can build competitive decks for under $10. There are still some cards in the format that are expensive but they are no where near the prices of staples in the more mainstream formats. It's is officially supported in the online game (MTGO) with everything from casual games up to tournaments with prizes.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 10:46:30 am »

You guys saw the big news?
Reactions?
I am quite excited, and even if all other cards are totally crap rares I know everybody here including me is still going to draft/rip a shitload of boosters.

For those that do not follow the spoilers, Onslaught Fetches are getting reprinted in Khans of Tarkir.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:25 am »
+1

Man... this takes "thread necro" to the next level.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 10:53:08 am »
+5

For those that do not follow the spoilers, Onslaught Fetches are getting reprinted in Khans of Tarkir.
What if i still don't follow?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:19 am »

Reactions?
I am quite excited, and even if all other cards are totally crap rares I know everybody here including me is still going to draft/rip a shitload of boosters.

I haven't followed lately but I'm not surprised. People had been speculating that this would happen for years now, it was pretty esssential to keep Modern affordable. Good decision on their parts, definitely.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 11:18:05 am »

What if i still don't follow?

Fetchlands are a cycle of 10 lands which search your library for another land with one of two basic types (for the cost of 1 life). Example: Misty Rainforest . Do not that they are able to search for dual lands with basic types, such as Volcanic Island and Overgrown Tomb.
First cycle of 5 lands (only allied colors) was printed back in 2002 in Onslaught. They are Legacy staples, played in basically any deck that plays lands. They were not available in Modern.
Second cycle of 5 (enemy colors this time) was printed in 2009 in Zendikar. They are both Legacy and Modern staples, seeing play in all decks. With the rise of popularity of modern and new influx of players, their price skyrocketed recently.

Now, when they print the old fetches now, they WILL be available in modern, and are a kind of a entry card for legacy, so everybody is looking forward to them!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
+1

I stopped playing around.... *checks wikipedia* ...the Urza block.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:42 am »

Many did, cuz Urza was freaking brokenly overpowered edition.

I didn't play back than, though. I am a newer player. (I'm here since RTR block  :) )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:49:43 am by Grujah »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 02:43:03 pm »

I started playing around the original Mirrodin block, stopped playing in IRL tournaments and following things actively around Return to Ravnica.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »
+2

This isn't about Dominion, it should be in the "Other Games" section?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:18 pm »
+1

yeah, but did they even have that section back when the thread was made?  I don't know.  I haven't been here that long
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 03:42:51 pm »

yeah, but did they even have that section back when the thread was made?  I don't know.  I haven't been here that long
I haven't been here that long either, but I know. Yes, they did; the oldest posts on that section are older than this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 06:56:40 pm »

Reactions?

I'm personally more excited for the new block structure they're implementing in the future.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 07:10:38 pm »

Reactions?

I'm personally more excited for the new block structure they're implementing in the future.

I find new block structure quite awesome thing and look forward to it but it cannot even compare to...
FETCHES.

It's like what everybody has been waiting for quite a few years now. And we get them. And they are legal in Modern. And its.. FETCHES.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 07:13:22 pm »

Reactions?

What?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 07:14:59 pm »

Reactions?

What?

This starts September next year.
No more Core Sets (2016 will be the last one).
Blocks are now two Expansions: one big and one small.
Standard is last 3 blocks.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 08:09:05 pm »

Reactions?

I find new block structure quite awesome thing and look forward to it but it cannot even compare to...
FETCHES.

It's like what everybody has been waiting for quite a few years now. And we get them. And they are legal in Modern. And its.. FETCHES.

Fetches aren't that exciting I mean... I suppose I'm an edge case in that I only play Limited and follow the Pro Tour (and sometimes GPs), but it's not like fetches are those super flashy cards. They're powerful and define manabases in every format they're legal in, but not "OMG AWESOME".

Block structure OTOH is also something I'm excited about, especially the no more core sets part, as those are generally very mediocre for drafting.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 09:54:29 pm »

Yeah, like Teproc I only play Limited and casual, and not even either of those that much. I've been binging on the pro tours recently though and those are fun!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 10:06:10 pm »

Fetchlands are cool in that they're being reprinted for modern and legacy, since I can complete my playsets (and more people can afford modern), but I wish they didn't have to come through standard to do so.  I think they're bordering on too good and are annoying to deal with, since adding 5 shuffles into a game really does slow it down.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:09:06 pm by nkirbit »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:47 am »
+1

Fetches are exciting because they are way too expensive, and now they'll still be way too expensive, but slightly more reasonable.

This is why when I did play, I did just Limited - the upfront $100+ you have to spend for a manabase wasn't worth it to me.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 06:19:13 am »

Fetchlands are cool in that they're being reprinted for modern and legacy, since I can complete my playsets (and more people can afford modern), but I wish they didn't have to come through standard to do so.  I think they're bordering on too good and are annoying to deal with, since adding 5 shuffles into a game really does slow it down.

I don't think they are too good in Standard environment, where you can only fetch basics.
Courser of Krupix is going to be more bonkers than already is, though.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:40 am »

Guys, I missed this thread the first time around! I've recently (Gatecrash) become super into Magic. I draft every week, but don't really play constructed other than Commander. good stuff.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:27 am »

FWIW, I play mostly Modern and Standard. Draft/Sealed when I got cash for the boosters, Cube whenever we get enough people and EDH here and there.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 09:10:52 am »

I play mostly Modern (I don't know anything about the format but I play a UR Ninja Faeries deck and it's been pretty successful so far) and limited on magic-league and casual constructed IRL, I think the block thing is interesting and the fetch land reprint isn't very. I used to play Legacy competitively IRL, but then I got perma-banned from MTGSuomi which was the best platform to be in the know about upcoming tournaments, and sold my deck.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:13:06 am by Awaclus »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »

In this new Theros Standard I've started with Black Devotion, but as prices went astronomical after somebody won a GP I pretty much sold everything sans Thoughseizes.
Since then I've pretty much played a different deck every two weeks or so, and went to WMCQs with Rabble Red which I find pretty damn awesome.

In Modern I've used to played Dredgevine and 4-color Gifts in the past, but now am back to Gruul Zoo (No Goyf, splash white for Nacatls) and it kicks some major ass.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 03:46:26 pm »
+7

I had some Magic cards once. I liked the blue ones. I had a Polar Kraken. It made me happy.

The end
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

I had cards with landhome.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 10:31:47 pm »

I've resumed playing MtG.  I've been playing casual games using an old tier3 standard deck from an old standard against current six set standard decks but its fun.  Planning to participate in the khans prerelease and start collecting cards again.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29:44 am »

What does everyone think about the return of Morph?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:19 am »

I used to play it for 8 years during my youth but stopped playing 10 years ago. I've spent all my money for it during that time.
That's probably the reason why I stopped playing: It's an awesome game but way too expensive if you want to keep up to date.
And yeah, deck building is great! I used to spend boring school classes with a sheet of paper thinking about deck compositions :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:20:47 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
+1

I would be at summer camp as a kid in the great outdoors experiencing nature... and playing Magic.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:03 am »

What does everyone think about the return of Morph?

3/3 for 2 2/2 for 3 isn't what it used to be and Morph is kinda hard to judge in vacuum - you need to see all the cards and morph triggers and test out a bit to see if it is really worth it. It's a fun mechanic, thou, IMHO. Especially in limited.
So far no Morph spoiled is that impressive, mana bear is solid enough though.

People are most exicted about the new clone, I see. Being able to turn into artifacts and planeswalkers and occasional enchantment seems quite good.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:09:52 pm by Grujah »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 12:02:18 pm »
+1

3/3 for 2 isn't what it used to be
Yeah, 3/3 for 2 definitely isn't what Morph used to be.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »

Whoops. Fixed.  ;D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »

I disliked the guessery and psychology involved with morph, although I do appreciate the complexity it brings.  Limited ends up having the guessery and psychology anyway so it should just be fun and awesome.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »

Does anyone know what happens if you steal a blocker with Jeering Instigator?  Act of Treason is usually a sorcery so I'm not sure what happens.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »

Does anyone know what happens if you steal a blocker with Jeering Instigator?  Act of Treason is usually a sorcery so I'm not sure what happens.

If you steal a blocker, your creature is still blocked, but I believe they don't do any damage to one another.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:36 am »

I disliked the guessery and psychology involved with morph, although I do appreciate the complexity it brings.  Limited ends up having the guessery and psychology anyway so it should just be fun and awesome.
i dislike how hacky it is. A special action? Come on...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2014, 01:35:08 pm »

i dislike how hacky it is. A special action? Come on...
I can feel that.  A better design might have been to make morph a normal activated ability with split-second.  That would seem less hacky to me and would have pretty much the same effect.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »

Reading the core set spoilers since i didn't pay attention to them before.  One of them is designed by Sirlin.  I'm afraid to read it..

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2014, 09:13:38 pm »

I made the mistake of reading it.  Of course he decides it needs f[RSP language]ing "yomi".

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:44 pm »

You guys going the the prerelease? What clans are you gonna choose?
Abzan seems very strong, but I am probably going with Temur (got the fatties) or Mardu (has goblins and burn, the best things in magic).

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »

I honestly want to play them all but I signed up for Temur. I'll actually be playing at a pre-release in Oakland, CA because I'm travelling for work tomorrow. Anybody from that area?

He/him

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »

I never knew M:tG had an online implementation until this thread. It was never mainstream enough at my school for me to ever learn to play it. I may look into playing it online sometime. Online gaming solves the main problem of now having anyone to play with.

How much of a monetary investment would you say is needed to make things interesting and have a fighting chance against others?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »

I never knew M:tG had an online implementation until this thread. It was never mainstream enough at my school for me to ever learn to play it. I may look into playing it online sometime. Online gaming solves the main problem of now having anyone to play with.

How much of a monetary investment would you say is needed to make things interesting and have a fighting chance against others?
That depends on everything. Playing competitive constructed formats IRL or on the official online implementation requires hundreds of dollars per deck easily, but if you're just playing casually, the odds are that your opponents aren't spending that much money on it either so you can get away with a much smaller investment and still have a chance of winning. If you play limited formats (in which you go to the tournament, open some packs and build the deck out of whatever you get and play that one tournament with that deck) IRL or on the official online implementation, then you don't need any cards of your own in order to stand a chance against other players, but you have to pay for the packs and you get to keep the cards, so it's not exactly cheap in the long run unless you win a lot of prizes, but you can conveniently build up your collection while you're doing it. If you're playing on the unofficial online implementations, you don't have to invest anything, but they are worse than Goko.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »

I do not play MTGO, but from what I've heard, official implementations are that much better than Goko either. ::)

Anyway, its what Awalcus said. Depends heavily on what you want. Most formats have cheaper "entry-level" decks, and casual formats are cheap and limited is well "level ground", but entry cost per event is higher. MTGO also has "ghost draft", where you draft and you don't keep the products, and they are cheap. And Cubes are especially awesome. Some cards are way cheaper online than IRL (From what I've heard - lands (which are kinda the most important thing), and things that are on reserved list), but there are counter-examples as well, where something is way overpriced online.

But really, nobody to play with? No local FLGS that has Friday Night Magic? As IRL Magic is infinitely better, IMO.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »

I do not play MTGO, but from what I've heard, official implementations are that much better than Goko either. ::)
MTGO is really good IMO, I haven't had any negative experiences with it. Well, I don't play that much either, but sometimes I do.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 12:17:54 am »

@Grujah, okay there are Magic nights at game stores and stuff. None of my friends are into that though. If it wasn't for f.ds and Goko, I wouldn't have my Dominion fix either.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 08:22:49 am »

Well, that's that FNM is for, meet new people that are into it and have somebody to play with. :)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:41 am »

Wow, reading this thread made me feel really old.

I didn't even know what Fetchlands were. They never existed when I played. And apparently they were introduced long enough ago to make a resurgence.

I gotta say that I did miss the carefree days of building and playing deckbuilding games. In between classes we'd break out Magic, Jyhad, On the Edge, or Illuminati: New World Order. Good times.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:42:11 am by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:26 am »

So you're one of those people that know the meaning of "Deckmaster" without looking it up?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 10:50:02 am »
+2

So you're one of those people that know the meaning of "Deckmaster" without looking it up?

Not as such, no. I had to look it up, because I forgot all about the "Deckmaster" logo. It was just part of the card back, and we didn't pay any attention to it. We played Jyhad, and I knew of people who played Netrunner, but I never got into it.

I got into MtG at the end of Arabian Nights, so if there were any major discussions about the demise of the original Deckmaster plan, I wasn't part of it. Besides, my Magic community was isolated from the rest of the world. On my favorite BBS, it was discussed in the Role Playing Games forum, so it got drowned out at first until it gained enough steam to spawn a Magic forum of its own. Considering that the BBS was hard-coded to have a maximum of 200 forums, it was a big deal to create any new forum. And yeah, as you already know, Magic was that big of a deal.

So there may have been discussion of what Deckmaster meant, but I wasn't part of it (or, quite possibly, forgotten it as it wasn't as important and remembering the mana cost of a Braingeyser). We didn't care; we just wanted to play games. Not having a consistent gaming store in town, I would sometimes go home on weekends and buy up boosters for trade and ante fodder.

We didn't even adhere to tournament rules for a while because we weren't playing tournaments. Of course, it takes a degenerate deck to show us how useful tournament rules were, so we adopted that standard. I still managed to follow through on my goal of building a Black Vice deck. It was nasty and was really only beaten by a Lightning Bolt deck. The Plague Rat deck was pretty close, but it wasn't fast enough.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2014, 11:19:42 am »

You guys going the the prerelease? What clans are you gonna choose?
Abzan seems very strong, but I am probably going with Temur (got the fatties) or Mardu (has goblins and burn, the best things in magic).

I'm going ! Going with Abzan probably, haven't finished to listen to the LR set review though.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:48 am »

Well, that's that FNM is for, meet new people that are into it and have somebody to play with. :)
I didn't know M:tG was so organized. I gotta check out these FNMs sometime.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:09 pm »

Really the best would be a prerelease (which is this week-end), those are by far the most newbie-friendly.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »

Really the best would be a prerelease (which is this week-end), those are by far the most newbie-friendly.

Yeah, FNMs (every friday) and Prereleases (Every few months, this weekend included) are most newbie friendly.

@Teproc - LR set review? Limited Resources?
I've read LSV's set review, I always read his or Conley's after the spoilers end.

@Lekkit - as I also play Netrunner, I am one of the people who know what Deckmasters is by heart, tho I wasn't playing when it was actually "a thing", I just know of it.

The Plague Rat deck was pretty close, but it wasn't fast enough.

Heh. Just to show how things turn around (also note power creep). That that really plagued (oh, the pun!) Standard this past year is basically a better Plague Rat -  Pack Rat. That plus Mutavault was the #1 most annoying thing in the past year.

Speaking of which, we had our last Ravnica-Theros Standard tournament today. and I am SO freaking glad it ended, it sucked. Rav-Ini was so much better, it's not even fun to compare.

As for Tarkir/Fetches hype, Sunday is going to be probably what's the biggest prerelease yet in Serbia.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »

Limited Resources yes. I didn't take the time to read LSV's this time, but I also do that generally.

Format is pretty interesting, kind of slow as you would expect from a multicolored format. i hadn't played in six months so I misbuilt terribly, ended up going 2/2.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 05:49:43 am »

Hey, now that you were there actually, they've kept promo distribution secret. How are they distributed?

Also, any tips in general?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2014, 06:47:06 am »

The promo I got was the 4/5 trample that drains 3 when ETB, I'll admit I didn't pay that much attention to what the other were. I'm guessing they have soemthing like 3 different for each guild and you get one of them ?

I would say don't hesitate to play 18 lands. The format has a lot of mana sinks.

Also, flying is good. It always is of course, but most decks have a lot of trouble with it in this format I think.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2014, 01:24:24 am »
+1

Heh. Just to show how things turn around (also note power creep). That that really plagued (oh, the pun!) Standard this past year is basically a better Plague Rat -  Pack Rat. That plus Mutavault was the #1 most annoying thing in the past year.

Ha! Wow, yeah, Plague Rat is pitiful now in comparison. Those Pack Rats are cheaper and can actually work within tournament rules.

Then you play one and have to add another to your deck. No, wait, I might be confused.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2014, 03:24:55 am »

When you play one you gain an ability to play 3 mana and discard any card to make another packrat. Basically, every card you have and draw after he hits play becomes a 3 mana packrat (you can still play them normally too).

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »
+4

So I did end up going to the prerelease after all. I familiarized myself with the rules beforehand, but otherwise had no experience with the game.

I picked the Temur Clan. Being unfamiliar with the game, it took me a long time to parse the cards and I felt rushed to finish my draft. As a result, I didn't draft for much synergy and got crushed by people combo-ing off +1/+1 tokens. I couldn't win a single game.

It was surprisingly easy to understand the main game rules. There were a few particularities with the card effects that I wasn't prepared for due to them being able to activate anytime but whatever.

So I found Magic to be a fun and interesting game, but I'm not prepared the invest any more time and money on it right now. I've noticed that I prefer being alone or with close friends when pursuing geeky activities.

I'm glad I finally know what M:tG is all about.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:54:34 pm by markusin »

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:01 am »
+1

So Glooble (my IRL twin) and I have been wondering for a long time...

We're pretty sure our rinkworks is the same rinkworks who used to run rinkworks.com.

And a quick Google search reveals that THAT rinkworks is named Samuel Stoddard (it's also all over rinkworks.com)

And there's a Sam Stoddard who works for WOTC and writes their weekly "Latest Developments" column. According to the MtG Salvation wiki, he joined WOTC as an intern in 2012 -- around the same time Rinkworks stopped posting here as much.

So does anybody know if this is a coincidence, or whether we have a bona fide MtG developer among the ranks of our forum community (granted Rinkworks hasn't posted in a year)?

He/him

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 12:22:44 pm »

We're pretty sure our rinkworks is the same rinkworks who used to run rinkworks.com.

And a quick Google search reveals that THAT rinkworks is named Samuel Stoddard (it's also all over rinkworks.com)

And there's a Sam Stoddard who works for WOTC and writes their weekly "Latest Developments" column. According to the MtG Salvation wiki, he joined WOTC as an intern in 2012 -- around the same time Rinkworks stopped posting here as much.

So does anybody know if this is a coincidence, or whether we have a bona fide MtG developer among the ranks of our forum community (granted Rinkworks hasn't posted in a year)?

It was indeed the same rinkworks as the website, I know it was mentioned.  Whether or not the two Sam Stoddards are the same guy is a different question, but probably a reasonable chance.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »

The only thing we know is that rinkworks is no longer ...-puts sunglasses on-... gathering here.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

CSI: Dominion Strategy
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2014, 02:24:01 am »
+2

It looks like this has been blowing up recently, but if people haven't seen it,

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2014, 03:11:50 am »
+1

I haven't seen that one and most likely wouldn't if it weren't for that post. I did enjoy it, though.

Also, I think those borders are so much nicer than the newer ones.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:27 am »
+3

I never got these opening videos, still don't.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:13 am »

"Er mer gerd!"

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

I haven't watched, but between the title, the gloves, and the fact that a basic land is in front of the camera for any amount of time, I suspect that this particular video is a parody.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:46 am »
+1

I'll spoil it.

The last rare is this card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:26 am »

I haven't watched, but between the title, the gloves, and the fact that a basic land is in front of the camera for any amount of time, I suspect that this particular video is a parody.
It's not.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 10:15:38 am »

You don't realize how obsessive people can be about that stuff. With reason too, even a Beta basic land is worth a decent amount of money I think.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:17 am »

What I want to know is how one gets their hands on an unopened Alpha starter pack to begin with.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:02 pm »
+1

What I want to know is how one gets their hands on an unopened Alpha starter pack to begin with.
I don't believe it's possible. If you find yourself in possession of such a thing, odds are it was opened and then resealed, with any exciting rares replaced. Shrink wrap: the great lie.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2014, 05:23:27 pm »
+4

Counterpoint: I think if a live turtle can be missing for 30 years and turn out to have been in a box in a storage room the whole time, a box of Magic cards can perform the same feat.

He/him

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 08:17:17 am »

Counterpoint: I think if a live turtle can be missing for 30 years and turn out to have been in a box in a storage room the whole time, a box of Magic cards can perform the same feat.

Certainly true.

While my example is not as extreme as this one, it's still the same concept. Back when I was in college, an out-of-town friend came to visit and told me he got a hold of some Legends cards he wanted to unload. He found them in some dinky store (similar to Dollar General, I suppose, but it's not) going for retail. At the time, Legends cards had become valuable as soon as they ran out on account WotC didn't print enough of them. I doubted him, but he showed me two full boxes of boosters. He bought them at the retail price of $2.50 per pack. We made a deal where I bought them off him for $5 per pack, and then I started selling them individually for $10 a pack before I realized I could sell all three Uncommons for $5 apiece and each rare for a minimum of $8 (as much as $25 for one of the dragons).

Things get lost in storage all the time, especially when you're talking about the early days of Magic when it was just this fad that sprung up. Depending on how quickly your locale took to the hobby, packs were either flying off the shelves or gathering dust.

That being said, I've seen other reasons why this video may be fake. The improbability of still being able to find a sealed Alpha probably shouldn't be one of them.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:30 am »

The magic cards are significantly more believable than the turtle story, which is almost certainly bullshit--specifically, a different turtle.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:20 am »

You guys watching WMC?

My country team(Serbia) is top16 now (5th seed), playing for top8!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:24:55 am by Grujah »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »

Necro-ing this thread to say that I played in the prerelease for Shadows Over Innistrad. First event in several years.

I went 2-1-1. Opened Olivia which carried me to almost all my wins. In the one match I lost, my opponent had enough removal to stabilize before I could aggro them down.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2016, 12:43:44 am »

Nice. Went 3-1 in a two headed giant event. Startled Awake was great, as was Westvale Abbey (with a hydra to find it)
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.