Author Topic: MTG  (Read 27433 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
MTG
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:24 am »

Dominion game play is mentioned in this Magic:the gathering article.

I expect there are a LOT of Dominion players who are also Mtg-addicts, but there hasn't been a poll yet.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: MTG
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:53:09 am »

My answer doesn't exist...

I don't play it, mainly because I play The Spoils that reminds a lot of MTG (since it's former MTG players that made it and tried to make it subjectively better). The money bit seem a bit true, but I could probably afford it if I wanted to play another TCG.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:25 am »

I used to play several years ago, extremely casually. But I haven't so much as picked a card up in maybe 3 years.

vandergus

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:25:26 am »

I was a kitchen table player in high school. I've played a bit recently online but not with any consistency.

As far as similarities, well, they're both played with cards. Other than that, they are quite different. While I was introducing my wife to Dominion (who I had previously tried to introduce to Magic, unsuccessfully), about half way through the first game she said, "Oh, so this really isn't like Magic at all." I laughed and said no. She likes Dominion much better.

The most interesting difference to me isn't the game play but the ability to play the game casually. Magic is much more fun to play casually because the cards are just so cool. The universe is compelling and summoning giant monsters to smash your opponent's face is fun, if not the winningest strategy. Dominion's flavor component is not nearly as developed as Magic's so it's not as enjoyable on that level. And it's not just the depth of the theme but the way the theme is connected to the mechanics of the game. It's not enough for "Vampire Lord" to have a picture of a big bad vampire on it. What it does in the game must also feel vampirey. Dominion cards don't achieve this on a consistent basis. Pirate Ships steal treasure then give you coins. Sure. A black smith draws cards? Huh? A village gives you actions? Wait, how is a village even an action in the first place. Isn't a village a thing?

But that's ok. I play Dominion for different reasons than I play Magic. I like that I can play Dominion at a high level (not that I'm there yet) without a huge investment in time or money. I like that I can introduce Dominion to a new group of people and have a fun night of gaming without a huge learning curve.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

Even though I don't play it and don't intend to, I sometimes watch Magic videos on YouTube.

It's a continuing side interest, but I'm not made of money! And I don't have a good practice partner.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:07 am »

For some years now some GPs in the vicinity, this year that was Prague and Milan. Mostly for meeting friends, the competetiv mindset is a bit gone, even when I hope to make Day2 again :-)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:18:52 pm »
+1

I play extremely casually. I have a group of friends who all wanted to play Magic without spending much money. A few of them owned some cards, and those who didn't threw in $10, which was used to buy some more. We then put all the cards together and drafted from that pile. So we had our own cards to trade with and build decks with. Every once in a while, we put them all back into the common pile again and re-draft. It works well... none of us can build super-awesome tournament level decks or anything, but we are all on equal footing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:54:29 pm »
+1

Competitive-wannabe here. Never could get myself to spend the money needed to acquire all the staples for any given season, and rarely took the time to practice (I have little enough time as it is, with two kids and a full-time job).

I play relatively well, but the skill is not refined enough for me to be anything more than a casual tournament and FNM player.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:01:19 pm »

I love the deck building aspect of the game but am always daunted by the number of options/cost in standard/extended/legacy/vintage.  I love going to limited events though, drafting or sealed.  Although to date I've only done this at casually or at prereleases.

I do like making very trolly decks like Norin the Wary paired with Confusion in the ranks.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »
+4

I love the deck building aspect of the game

Me too. I wish someone would make a game where the whole game is about building your deck, and you don't have to purchase a whole bunch of your own cards with your own money to build a competitive deck! ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

I love the deck building aspect of the game

Me too. I wish someone would make a game where the whole game is about building your deck, and you don't have to purchase a whole bunch of your own cards with your own money to build a competitive deck! ;D
I heard of something like that...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:31 pm »

Casualish player here. First started when Mirrodin came out. I haven't played MTG in a while. But I used to play at local tournaments, usually prereleases or limited, so I didn't have to worry about dropping lots of money on staples. I still read about it though.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

I played competitively for a short while (amateur prize at a GP was best I ever did), but then got into judging.  I like having my hobby supporting itself even though I'm not a great player.  I just was Head Judge for my first competitive level tournament (40 people, about $800 in cards up for prizes) at a friend's local gaming store (Gamer's Gauntlet, Clinton Twp, MI at Hall & Heydenreich) that he just opened a month ago.

I've played on and off since right after the game came out; wish I had some money back then, but I was in 7th grade....
Stop reading my signature.

Hurr

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:52 am »

I cube a lot, and play competitively online. I'd consider myself at / just below professional in terms of skill (cube is the only cardboard I play with anymore).

Silverback

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:05:48 am »

I quit playing Magic, when I began playing Dominion. It's for some reasons that have already been mentioned here. Dominion is much cheaper, doesn´t take so much time (Metagameanalyzing, acquiring cards and stuff like that) and my wife loves Dominion and hates Magic.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:27 am »
+1

I've been playing for about  5 months I think. I like to play draft & 2 headed giant the most. I plan on being Serra Angel for halloween next year 8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:39:37 am by Arya Stark »

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13:39 am »

I haven't played with the actual cards since the 90s, but I'll play in the occasional sealed deck tournament online. I'd like to put together a draft cube sometime, if I ever find some locals who are interested in casual play.

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »

The steam mtg game once in a while is enough for me. Never owned a deck but had a lot of friends who played.

Tydude

• Baron
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 08:31:09 pm »

I've always wanted to try and play because it sounds fun, but I really don't want to go out and pay money for cards and such. Is there any cheaper way to play? Like, an online version or something?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 09:21:53 pm »

I've always wanted to try and play because it sounds fun, but I really don't want to go out and pay money for cards and such. Is there any cheaper way to play? Like, an online version or something?
Read the post above you...
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:37:18 pm »

Read the post above you...

There's a steam version that has a more limited way to play the game, you can play against ai or other players but you unlock decks and cards specific to those decks so you don't get the huge variety of deckbuilding options that some people like about the game.  There also MTGO which is a full online version of the paper game, unfortunately it costs about the same to play that as the physical version.  Those are the only options that I know about that are legitimate.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

vandergus

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

There is a format called pauper that only uses common cards to build decks. Since they are the most abundant cards they are really cheap and you can build competitive decks for under $10. There are still some cards in the format that are expensive but they are no where near the prices of staples in the more mainstream formats. It's is officially supported in the online game (MTGO) with everything from casual games up to tournaments with prizes.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 10:46:30 am »

You guys saw the big news?
Reactions?
I am quite excited, and even if all other cards are totally crap rares I know everybody here including me is still going to draft/rip a shitload of boosters.

For those that do not follow the spoilers, Onslaught Fetches are getting reprinted in Khans of Tarkir.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:25 am »
+1

Man... this takes "thread necro" to the next level.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 10:53:08 am »
+5

For those that do not follow the spoilers, Onslaught Fetches are getting reprinted in Khans of Tarkir.
What if i still don't follow?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.