Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ranger  (Read 10863 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »

And Rigger and Contraption

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:31 am »
+1

That could be an interesting idea:

Troupe
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action

This card is considered to have all types. You can still play it only as an Action card.

Doesn't do anything by itself, but comboes with a lot of stuff?

I tried to word it in such a way that you could choose which type it has whenever you want, but then either it has no type while it is in the supply (no cute Mine Copper into Troupe trick, etc.), or other players get to choose while they are attacking you.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 08:54:58 am »
+1

I think the last sentence is unnecessary.  The action type is what allows you to play it as an action, and whether playing it as an action is actually simulataneously playing it as a treasure doesn't matter because there's no "whenever you play a treasure" triggers in the game.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 11:44:11 am »

I think the last sentence is unnecessary.  The action type is what allows you to play it as an action, and whether playing it as an action is actually simulataneously playing it as a treasure doesn't matter because there's no "whenever you play a treasure" triggers in the game.

The last sentence is to avoid arguments about whether or not you can play it during the Buy Phase, since it is also a Treasure.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 12:11:46 pm »

Troupe
+1 Card
+1 Action

This card is considered to have all types. You can still play it only as an Action card.

Rules confusion aside, I think it would be nice if the card did something for you in addition to being a combo with whatever.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 12:16:21 pm »

Troupe
+1 Card
+1 Action

Rules confusion aside, I think it would be nice if the card did something for you in addition to being a combo with whatever.

You mean, like rats? :P

But yeah, the concept can be expanded, of course. I just offered the most pure instantiation of the idea.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:18:11 pm by pacovf »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:56 pm »
+2

The last sentence is to avoid arguments about whether or not you can play it during the Buy Phase, since it is also a Treasure.

What happens when Venture hits it?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
+1

Troupe
+1 Card
+1 Action

But yeah, the concept can be expanded, of course. I just offered the most pure instantiation of the idea.

Hey, Rats does something, even if it's just to fill your deck with Rats!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »

What happens when Venture hits it?

Given the way both cards are worded, Troupe stays on top of your deck. I think.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 12:27:43 pm »
+1

Troupe
+1 Card
+1 Action

Hey, Rats does something, even if it's just to fill your deck with Rats!

and as discussed elsewhere, rats can sometimes be useful, even if you never trash them.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:39 pm »
+1

Why prohibit it from being played as a treasure?  Do you hate fun? It doesn't really break the rules to play a Treasure card during the action phase anymore than it breaks the rules to play an Action card during the buy phase.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 02:47:08 pm »

Why prohibit it from being played as a treasure?  Do you hate fun? It doesn't really break the rules to play a Treasure card during the action phase anymore than it breaks the rules to play an Action card during the buy phase.

Because it would be a real Action-Treasure card, and then

Honestly though, no specific reason, other than I hate fun. It could break stuff, maybe?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:04:12 pm by Witherweaver »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »

my advise is, don't do the restriction, it's awful.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »

Dunno, Donald seemed quite opposed to the concept of an action-treasure in the interview thread, I guess there must be a reason?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:53 pm »
+1

Dunno, Donald seemed quite opposed to the concept of an action-treasure in the interview thread, I guess there must be a reason?

Well, one thing is probably rule clarity.  It's an Action, but I can play it during my Buy phase.  Do I need an Action to be able to play it?  We'd want the answer to be "No", since it is a Treasure and  you're just playing a Treasure, but you'd still have to clarify anything like that in the rule book.

Or as Pops suggested, he just hates fun.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 04:59:21 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure Donald doesn't mind a card that offers the functionality of both Treasure and Action (you can do that with a reaction without messing up the rules). It's just the types that create a horrible confusion when mixed. So intentionally putting them on one card leaves you with just the mess that Donald obviously wanted to avoid when he made cards like Ghost Ship or Treasury the way they are (in this case: To avoid Attack-Duration and Treasure-Duration).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »

I think it's one of those issues where fan card vs. official card makes a big difference over how appropriate it is.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.