Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: coin token inflation  (Read 1149 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
coin token inflation
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:43:56 pm »
+1

Inflation - Action/Duration - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Each other player takes a coin token.
At the beginning of your next turn:
+$1
---
While this is in play, when a player spends a coin token, he returns a coin token to the supply.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: coin token inflation
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:15:52 pm »

Generally speaking, this is probably weak without other coin token cards on the board.  It only helps other players if they aren't generating coin tokens for themselves.  You give me a coin token for free, I could spend it on my turn with no ill effective, since it was my only coin token.  I have nothing else to pay, so that's that.  Thanks for the extra $1.  Or if I happen to have multiple coin tokens (maybe you played multiple Inflations), I could just hold onto them until another turn.  I wouldn't have had those tokens without you anyway, so my turn isn't impacted.

It might be interesting if it gave you a coin token instead of +$1 for at least one of the turns.  That makes Inflation stronger in the long term but weaker in the short term, and it also has some interesting tension.  You don't want to spend your coin token(s) on the turn you played Inflation or the turn after, so you want to wait.  Now the in-play clause will always impact somebody -- yourself!

Another concern is how multiple Inflations stack.  If we both have an Inflation in play and I spend a coin token, does that mean I have to return 2 more?  It looks like it, but maybe that's too harsh.  Or maybe it just makes for an interesting game where everybody is accumulating tons of coin tokens that would get taxed to oblivion if you used them, and you have to decide whether it's worth losing the stash or just waiting to see if you can find a turn with less Inflation than usual.  Might be an interesting experience.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:21:56 pm »

To answer your question, it does stack, that's the point. Maybe it is weak because you are always giving at least $1 for free as you said. How about:

Inflation - Action/Duration - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
At the beginning of your next turn:
+$1
---
While this is in play, when a player spends a coin token, he returns a coin token to the supply. If he doesn't, he gets
-$1.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:19 pm »
+2

Well, I did note that it might be interesting that way too. :P

I think a full -$1 penalty would be bad and unfun, especially when stacked.  I would suggest this:

Inflation
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Card; +1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: take a coin token.

While this is in play, when a player spends a coin token, he returns an extra coin token to the Supply.

If it is not a mirror, then your opponent gets a bonus like with Council Room, except it's essentially +$1 instead of +1 card.  If they only got one extra token, they could spend it freely now without penalty.  With multiple tokens, it's a more interesting choice.

For you, you could spend your single coin tokens immediately to avoid the penalty as well, unless you play multiple Inflations on your turn.

With multiple Inflations getting played per round (whether in a mirror or multiples from one player), it becomes that weird situation where everybody is gaining more and more tokens but they aren't worth much more.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.596 seconds with 20 queries.