Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How to make good Dominion live streams  (Read 13721 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: How to make good Dominion live streams
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »

Trump, a well-established and popular Hearthstone streamer, posted a video today, Trump's Streaming 101

His advice is generic enough that it applies pretty well to Dominion, and I think there's a lot of good stuff there. I had done a lot of research into live streams as they pertain to speedrunning so a good amount of what he says is covered in this thread, but there's one particular item that he talks about that I think is worth mentioning:

Opportunity: this may be the critical thing Dominion lacks in terms of gaining popularity both as a legitimate online game and as something that people want to watch streams of. When Dominion Online was first released back in the FunSockets days, it crashed and burned. That was the big chance for people to stream the game, mostly because if someone is thinking about buying the game, watching a stream is a great way to help them decide.

Given how things turned out, with them going back into beta testing and the PR badness, it's probably best that people weren't streaming the game at that time. But we may have another chance:

Let's be super-optimistic and say that Making Fun will have a new, snazzy, awesome working version of Dominion Online around the time Adventures is released. I'd be really surprised if they didn't make a PR push of some kind to get more people to sign up, and this may be the best opportunity Dominion Online has to make its mark in the streaming world.

How can we be ready for that? Well I'm not positive, but if you're looking at an opportunity to not only make your own personal stream better but get Dominion Online out there as a more legitimate game that has a larger fan base, we're coming up on it. If you're ready, you're going to get a nice big piece of the pie  :)

And you'll have the largest slice. c:

Making Fun has to roll out some promotional thing. If they don't, their acquiring of Dominion Online will have been dumb. So Adam is right, prepare, because the game you're streaming will likely get more popular pretty soon here.

We should put this comment in a museum somewhere, as the first time when someone on the forums has ever said "Making Fun [or Goko] has a choice between a good option and a dumb option, so of course they'll do the good one."

I'm optimistic these people will get it done.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: How to make good Dominion live streams
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »

What time do people normally like to watch streams?  I think the highest number of viewers I've gotten is 5, and I'm wondering if timing has anything to do with that.

I've found that evenings on weekdays and afternoons or evenings on weekends typically get the most viewers (I'm speaking from the American perspective).

On the other hand, if you've only streamed twice and you got 5 viewers, you're doing much better than most people here. I'd recommend that if you're disappointed by these numbers, try not to be. Getting started is very slow going and can be really frustrating, especially if you focus on viewer count in your first week of streaming.

If you want to get more viewers, here are a few things I'd recommend, though again I don't know that you're going to see *that* much instant gratification.

1. If I'm not mistaken, you have a decent following on YouTube. Post a video on there saying that you're starting to live stream, and tell them to follow you or tell them about the Live Streams thread in the forums.

2. Stream for longer: I noticed that your streams are less than an hour long. The longer I stream, the more viewers I tend to get.

3. Stream a tournament match: I've noticed that tournament matches tend to get more viewers than other matches in general. You could consider joining the Dominion League or something like that.

That plus all of the stuff in this thread. I think all of that is good advice too  :P
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.