Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: How to make good Dominion live streams  (Read 13722 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
How to make good Dominion live streams
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:38 am »
+15

I've done a lot of live streaming Dominion, arguably more than anyone else. I've also had a lot of experience broadcasting Dominion in my time where I've tried a lot of different things. I've had lots of successes and lots of failures.

Over the past several months, live-streaming Dominion has become much more popular. Lots of people have started streaming for fun or for tournament matches because it's much easier to do than making videos, and much more interactive.

I'm making this series of posts because I've learned a lot in the past two years about broadcasting Dominion that I think may be of some use to others who are casually streaming and want to see a little bit more from it. Of course a lot of my advice may not apply to everyone, but at least I'm putting this out there so it can maybe help someone out there, and it's a chance for me to give back to the community.

I may edit/add to these as I think of more things over time, and I can answer questions as well. This is more of a thought dump right now, maybe it will become more coherent as time goes by.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: How to make good Dominion live streams
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:54 am »
+7

How do I get more viewers?

The one thing you can do that will help you the most with getting more viewers is to stream more. This helps for several reasons.

1. The more you stream, the more comfortable you'll get and the better your streams will end up being. There are a lot of ways that I'll go into later that you can increase the quality of your streams, but better streams get more viewers, and the more you stream, the better you get. I find that even after several months of streaming, I still get more views/followers when I'm streaming more as opposed to the times when I'm too busy to stream with any kind of regularity.

2. People like reliability. When I was able to, I had a semi-regular stream on Tuesday nights, and I would get a ton of viewers. If there's a time you can regularly stream, let people know about it and make it a point to stream at that time as much as you can. You'll notice a slow but steady increase in viewers in that time and this is a great way to not only find new viewers, but create a community around the viewers you already have.

3. The more times you stream, the more likely it is that any given person will watch your stream at some point. If you want more viewers, that means you're going to have to get new viewers, so you want to give them as many chances as you can to watch you live.

4. Post in the forum thread. Twitch's notification system is pretty bad, and a lot of people don't even use it. I'd say at least half of my viewers on any given stream are watching because I posted in that thread. If you can give advance notice, great, but even if you can't, it's still worth it to post there.

But nobody is watching!

I have almost 100 Followers on Twitch, and when I randomly decide I want to stream without any notice to anyone I can consistently have at least 10 registered viewers (plus however many unregistered are out there that I can't track). You may not believe it, but it took me a few months before I ever had 10 viewers in my stream. If you need instant gratification, you're going to have to find other ways to get it besides viewer count. It's a tough road to getting your stream established, and you won't get there without putting in some effort.

You can't expect people to be waiting in your stream, hoping you'll go live soon. You can't expect people to be right there in 5 minutes after you announce you're going live. You can't expect people to always be available when you decide you want to stream. If it's been a half hour and you still don't have many (or any) viewers, the worst thing you can possibly do is stop streaming. The longer your stream is, the more viewers you will get.

If you can't be motivated to keep streaming when nobody is watching, then go get people to watch you! My first several streams consisted entirely of IRL friends. People who know you are more likely to put something in the chat, and once there's chat going on, it's easy to join in.

Starting a successful channel is a lot like growing a plant. You, the streamer, are the soil -- NOT the seed! You have to plant the seed or else you are just a pot full of dirt. You have to work at it (water and sunshine) for your plant to grow. Does that make any sense? I sure hope so.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:19 am »
+6

How do I make a good stream?

I said this before, but the more you stream, the better your stream is going to be. It's important enough to say again.

Interact! If you have people in the chat, interact with them! If they aren't interacting with you, start it yourself! "Hey, chat, how is everybody doing?" will get the talkative people going and a conversation started. "What's everybody's favorite color?" will work for even more people. If that fails, just start talking about your day, or what you like to do other than Dominion -- someone might hear something they like and chime in.

If people didn't want to interact with you/the rest of the chat, they would be watching Dominion videos. If they're watching your stream, everybody will be having a better time if you're interacting with them.

When you respond to someone in your chat, it helps if you read their comment out loud: "SoAndSo says why did you buy Coppersmith there? That's a bad card!" then respond with "Coppersmith isn't a bad card, in fact it's a great payload to this engine here." This is a good thing for several reasons:

First, if someone is watching your stream on a past broadcast or a highlight, they don't get to see the chat. If you only give your answer and don't state the question, those people will be lost and won't know what you're talking about. People from all around the world play Dominion and watch streams/videos, so this is a larger audience than you may think.

Second, there's a delay between your audio and the chat. You'll see the chat immediately, and if you respond immediately, it's 20 seconds before they get to hear the answer to their question. It's nice to have a refresher because that's a long time and other things could have been said.

Third, it prevents you from just typing your response. I did a lot of experimenting with how much I wanted to type in the chat vs. how much I wanted to say out loud, and I found out that typing in the chat is kind of a cop-out for me. This may not be true for everybody, but if you can, I'd highly recommend getting comfortable with this.

Another form of interaction is to talk about things other than Dominion. This may seem really backwards but it's actually turned out to be really successful for me. Lots of video game streamers only casually play turn-based video games in the background when the conversation starts to get slow, and are pretty much just about hanging out in the chat. You don't have to do this, but don't be afraid to.

You can interact with other people besides the chat! If it helps you get conversation going, don't be afraid to have someone on Skype while you're playing, whether or not they're playing you. You can share your screen with them or just have them watch the stream on a delay. If you want their audio to show up on your stream, the easiest way to make this happen for me was to set whatever my Skype output is (my headset) as my default sound device, then restart OBS.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:55:56 pm by AdamH »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:54 am »
+4

How do I make good Dominion commentary?

Many people are good at playing Dominion, and then when they try and add commentary to the mix, things just fall apart. People who have been broadcasting Dominion for a while certainly have a head start when it comes to talking while playing -- in my case it actually helps me most of the time to talk about what I'm doing. But these people are the exception, rather than the rule. Dominion is hard, providing commentary is also hard and it's a different skill set, and being entertaining is also hard and it's yet another skill set. The trick is to find out what you're good at and do that, then not focus on the other stuff as much.

Playing Dominion -- well, if you're reading this, that may not really be an issue. I'd recommend either a basic competency at the game (able to build engines, maybe Iso L20 or higher?) or a strong desire to get to that point and use your broadcasting as a part of doing so. Nobody wants to watch someone be bad at a game for a very long time.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are the people who are so good at the game that they don't need anything else. If you're as good as Wandering Winder, Stef, AI, MQ, those top-tier people, you can probably get away with only streaming and not providing any commentary. Unless you're of that caliber, though, you need something else.

Commentary -- The first time you provide commentary while playing, I bet you got crushed, didn't you? I sure did. It's true that you sort of re-learn how to play if you're going to talk about it while you do it, so be prepared for that. I wouldn't recommend a super-important tournament match for your first time streaming -- you'll want some practice.

Everybody has a different style of commentary, I think the most important thing is to be comfortable and stay relatively focused enough on the game to still be effective. If you've gotten a little bit of practice and want to try and focus on how to improve your commentary, I have a few tips for you.

1. Listen to yourself. It's a little awkward at first, but I can't begin to tell you how much this can help you. What do you think? Are you talking too much or not enough? Are you saying things that don't matter to the game? Are you saying too many things about the game that are obvious? Do you enjoy listening to your commentary? Why? You could ask other people to listen for you and give you constructive feedback, but who are we kidding? Anyone who does that is probably your friend, so they're less inclined to actually tell you things you could do better when they could just tell you "oh yeah that was really good."

2. Don't stop listening to yourself. So you did that last thing, and you made some changes and now you feel like your commentary is better. None of these are reasons to stop trying to improve. Do it again, find things you like and do them more. Find things you don't like and work to do them less. You can't just stop watering your plant and expect it to keep growing.

3. Don't be afraid of silence. I know that talking to yourself is not something most people do out-loud in their lives, and I know that commentary often feels a lot like that. Something I've learned is that you need periods of silence in order for that conversation to go anywhere. If you never stop talking, it's easy to tune you out because not only is there no variation in the quality of your voice, but you end up saying things that really aren't important. If a piece of music is loud all of the time, it's not as good as one that has dynamic contrast. Think of it like Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away (I'd recommend a re-watch, but I'm sort of a Tom Hanks fanboy). He's stranded on an island and he's drawn a face (with his own blood) on a volleyball and talks to it for companionship. Is he constantly talking? No, it's a great example of a one-sided conversation.

You'll eventually discover the things you want to say and the things you don't want to say -- and it may even vary depending on your mood. Everyone has a different style, and the best way to discover what works for you is to try lots of different things. If you feel like you're talking too much, see how little you can talk for a game. If you feel like you're not talking enough, comment about everything you can think of in the game just to see how it feels. Or maybe have someone to talk to on Skype.

4. Ask what people like. I know this won't always work, but sometimes people will tell you they like something you're doing. More people will tell you this if you ask for feedback. Unfortunately you probably won't get many people telling you what they don't like. I'll volunteer to give you constructive feedback on your commentary if that's something you want, all you have to do is ask.

5. Find your point of view. What is the thing that sets you apart? What is it that people can't get anywhere except for watching your stream? If you can find something like this and play off of it, you'll likely be able to create a fan base that way. I have a lot of things I say repeatedly -- "You make your own shuffle luck" "Thinning is Hwinning" "Dear Deck, I HATE YOU, Love Adam" and the list goes on. You don't need these things, and they can seem a little gimmicky, but the point is that the more your personality comes through on your stream, the more people will like you (unless you're actually a terrible person -- I'm surprised people haven't caught onto me yet  :P)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:17:54 pm by AdamH »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »

Will anyone watch if I'm not good at the game? :)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:29:08 pm »
+2

Will anyone watch if I'm not good at the game? :)

I'm about Iso level 20, and usually get 2-3 viewers per stream, rising to about 5-7 for my Dominion League matches. So the answer is probably yes. :)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »

The best way to get more viewers is to pay them off.  I hear you can outsource those guys these days.

Another tip: don't stream right after someone else or while someone else is doing it unless you anticipate having more viewers than them in the first place.  People only commit so much time to watching streams, and are likely to watch the guy they like most and then do something else.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »

Another tip: don't stream right after someone else or while someone else is doing it unless you anticipate having more viewers than them in the first place.  People only commit so much time to watching streams, and are likely to watch the guy they like most and then do something else.

This may be the case for some people, but actually it's a common practice in the speedrunning world to do "raids," where once a streamer is done, they find someone they like who's also streaming and suggest to their viewers that they watch that person. They usually send along a raid message so they know who to thank or something like that.

If you know someone is about done streaming and you are planning to stream or are already streaming, I imagine they'd be happy to send people your way. I know I would. If a few people feel like switching over that's a few more than you would have gotten.

Of course that's kind of difficult since most of the time we either have zero or one person streaming...

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:27:53 pm »

Commentary -- The first time you provide commentary while playing, I bet you got crushed, didn't you? I sure did. It's true that you sort of re-learn how to play if you're going to talk about it while you do it, so be prepared for that. I wouldn't recommend a super-important tournament match for your first time streaming -- you'll want some practice.

I feel I can find a bit in here of what we were talking about during our games. So, thanks for this  from my site.
On a side note, I'd like to add that it might be even a bit more exhausting for me and my fellow non-native speakers to do this in English. I'm quite fine reading and listening most of the time, writing is a little bit more stressful but as this is not the only English forum where I participate I'm all right with it. But speaking, man, I've probably spoken more English in this past week (two league matches streamed, then your streamed matches with me on Skype) than in the last 8 years since I'd graduated.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:28:48 pm »
+1

I feel I can find a bit in here of what we were talking about during our games. So, thanks for this  from my site.
On a side note, I'd like to add that it might be even a bit more exhausting for me and my fellow non-native speakers to do this in English. I'm quite fine reading and listening most of the time, writing is a little bit more stressful but as this is not the only English forum where I participate I'm all right with it. But speaking, man, I've probably spoken more English in this past week (two league matches streamed, then your streamed matches with me on Skype) than in the last 8 years since I'd graduated.
I think you also get more comfortable with speaking English by just speaking more English. I write a lot of English and I don't really have any problems with that (which doesn't mean that my written English is perfect or anything, it just means that I'm not stressed over the inevitable mistakes that I will make every now and then), but I rarely have a reason to speak English. Lately, I've been streaming and having Skype calls with people, and I think that even though I haven't spoken that much English, even that small amount has been enough to make me feel a lot better while speaking English than, say, a few months ago.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:39 am »
+8

I think Kingzog and I should create a channel where we just get drunk, call eachother brah and play Dominion really poorly. Does that sound appealing to anyone?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 02:31:38 am »

Thanks Adam for this thread. I am thinking of streaming my games soon. I have done lots of non-Dominion YouTube videos (over 400 and have thousands of followers), so I think I would do streaming well. I also think it would be a good way to get better at the game even though I am in the mid-30's iso range.

Does twitch require any special software to stream?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 02:39:18 am »

Okay, so I have tried creating an account on Twitch and it says the username Beyond Awesome has already been taken!!!! Even Beyond Awesomeness has been taken! Who are these evil people taking my username and then taking the username I was going to take because someone took my username?

I am about to go with the name BeyondTheAwesome.

Edit: Never mind. I realized I could use an underscore.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:47:57 am by Beyond Awesome »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:23 am »

Does twitch require any special software to stream?

I use OBS, there's a lot more information here

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:40 am »

I think Kingzog and I should create a channel where we just get drunk, call eachother brah and play Dominion really poorly. Does that sound appealing to anyone?

I would watch that at least once.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 07:46:27 am »
+6

Who are these evil people taking my username and then taking the username I was going to take because someone took my username?

This is an advantage of unpronounceable strings of letters.  Not once have I ever discovered my username to have been already taken.  To help you in the future, I've created a new suggested username for you:  trjyicl

Now you should be set with internet usernames.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:25:05 am »
+1

Who are these evil people taking my username and then taking the username I was going to take because someone took my username?

Yeah I feel your pain. Markusin was taken both Youtube and Twitch. I go by Markusincos on those channels. If that was taken too, then I would have been really disappointed and unsure of what to call myself. Markusincostan maybe?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 12:11:57 pm »

This is an advantage of unpronounceable strings of letters.  Not once have I ever discovered my username to have been already taken.  To help you in the future, I've created a new suggested username for you:  trjyicl

Now you should be set with internet usernames.

I like names like mine.  Almost nobody ever does sudgy unless it's a really big thing, then I'll just do sudgylacmoe.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 12:14:20 pm »
+2

Random strings are for slackers.  String + numbers master race.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 12:30:18 pm »
+1

Okay, so I have tried creating an account on Twitch and it says the username Beyond Awesome has already been taken!!!! Even Beyond Awesomeness has been taken! Who are these evil people taking my username and then taking the username I was going to take because someone took my username?

I am about to go with the name BeyondTheAwesome.

Edit: Never mind. I realized I could use an underscore.
Awaclus was taken too. Then I did some research and found out that I had taken it myself, but because it was a Justin account and I didn't do anything about it in time, now it's unusable.  :'(
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:46 pm »
+2

Thanks Adam also for all the videos and streams you've made, which I enjoy watching. For me the two essential qualities are that you are good at the game and that you are likable. I want to learn something and become better at the game by watching your games, and I want to enjoy it. And I think the likability/enjoyability comes a lot more from natural personality than from gimmicks and catchphrases (which can sometimes get tiresome). One of my other favorite video makers is Qvist, who never seems to be trying too hard to be entertaining, but just has a natural likability.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:00:25 pm by Rubby »

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 10:53:20 am »
+2

If you stream it is important to set your streaming options to "Archive the stream". There is a demand for watching a stream later especially for people that do not live in the same time zone as the streamer.

http://www.twitch.tv/settings/channel
Greetings,
SirDagen

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »

Trump, a well-established and popular Hearthstone streamer, posted a video today, Trump's Streaming 101

His advice is generic enough that it applies pretty well to Dominion, and I think there's a lot of good stuff there. I had done a lot of research into live streams as they pertain to speedrunning so a good amount of what he says is covered in this thread, but there's one particular item that he talks about that I think is worth mentioning:

Opportunity: this may be the critical thing Dominion lacks in terms of gaining popularity both as a legitimate online game and as something that people want to watch streams of. When Dominion Online was first released back in the FunSockets days, it crashed and burned. That was the big chance for people to stream the game, mostly because if someone is thinking about buying the game, watching a stream is a great way to help them decide.

Given how things turned out, with them going back into beta testing and the PR badness, it's probably best that people weren't streaming the game at that time. But we may have another chance:

Let's be super-optimistic and say that Making Fun will have a new, snazzy, awesome working version of Dominion Online around the time Adventures is released. I'd be really surprised if they didn't make a PR push of some kind to get more people to sign up, and this may be the best opportunity Dominion Online has to make its mark in the streaming world.

How can we be ready for that? Well I'm not positive, but if you're looking at an opportunity to not only make your own personal stream better but get Dominion Online out there as a more legitimate game that has a larger fan base, we're coming up on it. If you're ready, you're going to get a nice big piece of the pie  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:50:43 pm by AdamH »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 06:17:29 pm »

Trump, a well-established and popular Hearthstone streamer, posted a video today, Trump's Streaming 101

His advice is generic enough that it applies pretty well to Dominion, and I think there's a lot of good stuff there. I had done a lot of research into live streams as they pertain to speedrunning so a good amount of what he says is covered in this thread, but there's one particular item that he talks about that I think is worth mentioning:

Opportunity: this may be the critical thing Dominion lacks in terms of gaining popularity both as a legitimate online game and as something that people want to watch streams of. When Dominion Online was first released back in the FunSockets days, it crashed and burned. That was the big chance for people to stream the game, mostly because if someone is thinking about buying the game, watching a stream is a great way to help them decide.

Given how things turned out, with them going back into beta testing and the PR badness, it's probably best that people weren't streaming the game at that time. But we may have another chance:

Let's be super-optimistic and say that Making Fun will have a new, snazzy, awesome working version of Dominion Online around the time Adventures is released. I'd be really surprised if they didn't make a PR push of some kind to get more people to sign up, and this may be the best opportunity Dominion Online has to make its mark in the streaming world.

How can we be ready for that? Well I'm not positive, but if you're looking at an opportunity to not only make your own personal stream better but get Dominion Online out there as a more legitimate game that has a larger fan base, we're coming up on it. If you're ready, you're going to get a nice big piece of the pie  :)

And you'll have the largest slice. c:

Making Fun has to roll out some promotional thing. If they don't, their acquiring of Dominion Online will have been dumb. So Adam is right, prepare, because the game you're streaming will likely get more popular pretty soon here.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »
+2

Making Fun has to roll out some promotional thing. If they don't, their acquiring of Dominion Online will have been dumb. So Adam is right, prepare, because the game you're streaming will likely get more popular pretty soon here.

We should put this comment in a museum somewhere, as the first time when someone on the forums has ever said "Making Fun [or Goko] has a choice between a good option and a dumb option, so of course they'll do the good one."

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »

We should put this comment in a museum somewhere, as the first time when someone on the forums has ever said "Making Fun [or Goko] has a choice between a good option and a dumb option, so of course they'll do the good one."

I'm optimistic these people will get it done.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »

What time do people normally like to watch streams?  I think the highest number of viewers I've gotten is 5, and I'm wondering if timing has anything to do with that.

I've found that evenings on weekdays and afternoons or evenings on weekends typically get the most viewers (I'm speaking from the American perspective).

On the other hand, if you've only streamed twice and you got 5 viewers, you're doing much better than most people here. I'd recommend that if you're disappointed by these numbers, try not to be. Getting started is very slow going and can be really frustrating, especially if you focus on viewer count in your first week of streaming.

If you want to get more viewers, here are a few things I'd recommend, though again I don't know that you're going to see *that* much instant gratification.

1. If I'm not mistaken, you have a decent following on YouTube. Post a video on there saying that you're starting to live stream, and tell them to follow you or tell them about the Live Streams thread in the forums.

2. Stream for longer: I noticed that your streams are less than an hour long. The longer I stream, the more viewers I tend to get.

3. Stream a tournament match: I've noticed that tournament matches tend to get more viewers than other matches in general. You could consider joining the Dominion League or something like that.

That plus all of the stuff in this thread. I think all of that is good advice too  :P
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.