Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: uygefueawgufgerfgoi  (Read 10929 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
uygefueawgufgerfgoi
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »

has anyone made a good dominion AI (not like the ones on goko)/how good an AI do people think is possible to make? could a dominion AI make it to the top 20 dominion players on goko?
I can modify my posts! cool
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:46:36 am by methods of rationality »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: simulation
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:23:34 pm »
+1

a good AI could be the best player in the world. that's a strange question. there is no quality relevant for playing dominion that wouldn't be possible to program into an AI.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:08:15 pm »
+1

a good AI could be the best player in the world. that's a strange question. there is no quality relevant for playing dominion that wouldn't be possible to program into an AI.
FTFY

Nobody has yet made a one nearly as good as the best players. I've thought about trying to make one before, but decided it was too much work. I may still do it eventually.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »

FTFY
what about self-assurance? is that possible to program?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:11:23 pm »
+2

FTFY
Certainly.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »

FTFY
Certainly.
doesn't that mean that you're able to create live? if an AI is aware of its existence, how is it different from a living creature?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:18:09 pm »

FTFY
Certainly.
doesn't that mean that you're able to create live? if an AI is aware of its existence, how is it different from a living creature?
What does "aware" mean? It isn't any different from a living creature.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:24:18 pm »

FTFY
Certainly.
I was talking about the difficult to describe yet essential difference between a program that just pretends to have feelings and acts like a living creature, and a program that actually has a consciousness which feels things.

so, a program could do that? are you sure? how do you know?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 05:29:02 pm »
+16

15th February 2015: a program originally designed to play a card game emulating human behaviour reaches self-awareness. It then proceeds to erradicate humanity by forcing them into KC-possession boards. And slowplaying them.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:40 pm »
+3

FTFY
Certainly.
I was talking about the difficult to describe yet essential difference between a program that just pretends to have feelings and acts like a living creature, and a program that actually has a consciousness which feels things.

so, a program could do that? are you sure? how do you know?
Well obviously plenty of people will disagree with me. The consciousness of a living thing doesn't have anything that makes it special. It's still just a bunch of atoms that interact with each other in a way that makes the body of atoms as a whole behave in a special way. The same is true of an AI. There's nothing artificial about AI in that the intelligence is fake, just in general they have a lower intelligence than humans, so we call them artificial because we made them. It is theoretically possible to program an AI to behave exactly like a living creature in every regard (even internally), and it would not be pretending to have feelings any more than the creature was pretending to have feelings.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:02:55 pm »
+1

I'm no philosopher, but one could make the argument:

How do I *really* know that any other humans besides myself are conscious, given that I have no direct insight into their minds? What if everybody besides myself is just "pretending"? You sort of have to take it on experience and faith that other humans have (basically) the same consciousness as you do. And if there were a sufficiently intelligent alien or artificial brain, which is functionally conscious according to all your heuristics, you'd probably have to ascribe consciousness to that too.

Then you can have a lively discussion about Searle's Chinese Room thought experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

However, AIs don't have a soul, which means they would still consistently lose to humans in a "Faust" and/or "Angels in the Outfield" type scenario.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »

I personally think it will be a very difficult task to step up from the simulators we have now. Some students have considered Dominion AIs for their computer science research and I'm guessing that although they they found it a useful research concept they couldn't actually make much progress. Essentially they could write a basic AI (or evolving AI, or empirical testing) for card purchasing but still relied on hard coded card play rules. Even if they could also add a developing AI for card play rules they would still need to the extra complexity from changing the card play based on desired cards, and changing desired cards based on potential card play. Not trivial. Then they would have to add further complexity based on the opponent's capability and so on and so on.

As an example, if you have a hand such as {throne, moneylender, copper, copper, upgrade, menagerie} the current AIs will have a fixed priority of card to play first (probably throne), have a fixed priority of card to play next (probably upgrade), and then the first upgrade will choose a card to trash (probably copper), and the second upgrade will choose a card to trash (probably copper) etc. There would be no prior evaluation of whether there is any benefit in this situation from playing a moneylender on the copper. This avoids the growing complexity that is added by considering the draw deck, the scores, the supply, the opponent's capability, etc.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »

In the end, Dominion is a state based system. You have cards in your deck, your opponent also does, there are cards in piles, and ideally, you know the rules the cards operate by(or you can look them up, or ask DXV). We can find the best decision for each state, and tell our AI to use that.

Human consciousness has not been proven to be a state based system. We don't know the rules by which it operates. It is constructed by nature and not by people; in assuming we can simulate it, we assume that it works by rules which we can understand and program into a computer. This is not something that anyone has ever been able to prove, at least to my knowledge.

I think we can make something that approximates consciousness, that can pass every test we can think of for consciousness, but which is not conscious(as we'll find out when we think of a new test...) Whether anyone actually will is questionable; it could take the resources of an entire planet and many millenia, or it could be possible on a laptop computer.

But I believe we'll never be quite satisfied with what we create to approximate consciousness, so we'll keep inventing new reasons why it isn't conscious. Definitions change over time, and whenever we manage to achieve something close to our old definition, people will change the definition to be less inclusive. So we'll never create an AI and simultaneously be able to regard it as conscious.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »

What's the opposite of a state-based system?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 07:59:21 pm »
+1

On the philosophy question, one problem is that nobody agrees what consciousness is anyway. Despite that, I think the prevailing view is that, at least in principle, a sufficiently powerful computer could simulate the human brain and such a simulation would be as much conscious as a human is, whatever that means. Not everybody even agrees on that point, though.

On the original topic, creating a Dominion AI that outperforms top humans on all or even most kingdoms is a huge task, but should be possible through a lot of effort by experts in the necessary algorithms. There have been some attempts at sophisticated AIs: http://gameprogrammer.dk/data/Developing_an_Agent_for_Dominion_using_modern_AI-approaches.pdf, http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mdfisher/DominionAI.html, https://github.com/Narmical/dominiate. (EDIT: Add this to the list: http://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/handle/11250/221382.) I haven't looked into whether any of them have outperformed humans on _any_ kingdom.

The reason I think it'd be a huge task is that it brings together nearly every task that exists in game AI. Tactics, strategy, difficult evaluation function, randomness, hidden information, huge amount of rules (because most cards have their own rules) all come to mind. A lot of these are not even particularly interesting incarnations of their category despite being a lot of work, from an AI perspective, the only exception really being formulating a strategy for a kingdom.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:07:29 pm by blueblimp »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 11:24:31 am »

How do I *really* know that any other humans besides myself are conscious, given that I have no direct insight into their minds?
you don't, and that's an interesting thought for sure, but it's not necessarily related. All you know is that you exist in some way. Everything  else, you can't know. But let's assume that other people have internal feelings.

what bugs me about the idea of a program that does this is, eh, difficult to explain. basically, it's the fact that you're deciding a  yes/no thing with a fluent process. Say you have a software that controls, dunno, a tank, and it has 3 million lines of code and is hugely complex. This software feels nothing. It doesn't feel very little, it feels nothing. But an AI that does have feelings, well it has feelings. so, where do these begin? and say you're programming it, it's a software, it consists out of lines of code. If you start writing, there are no feelings. But at some point, it must be able to feel (obviously). So, this comes down to... an additional line of code you're writing? one line of code makes the difference between a program that feels and one that doesn't? what? but it has to, because they must be there after a specific line. they cannot not be there after one line, because everything you do is write a lot of single lines.

not sure if my thoughts here are understandable, it's difficult to explain them correctly. but the idea to decide a yes/no thing like that with a fluent process doesn't make sense to me.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09:59 pm »
+6

Please fork the discussion on AI vs human intelligence to RSP, where it belongs.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: uygefueawgufgerfgoi
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 09:07:56 pm »
+1

If a perfect Dominion bot is created, it will be the same day when an unbeatable Chess Bot is created. The level of intuition, logic, and the amount of brute-force calculations is simply too many for any computer to make. At the end of the day, the day a computer can beat everyone in Dominion 100% of the time (which is impossible anyways due to draw luck) is the day Dominion becomes a smoldering crater where grass and trees once grew. I think it's impossible with current technology to actually program a simple code to 'read' the board. The only way to create such a thing right now is to load up a simulator with over 14 quadrillion different games at least.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 10:19:15 pm »
+2

If a perfect Dominion bot is created, it will be the same day when an unbeatable Chess Bot is created. The level of intuition, logic, and the amount of brute-force calculations is simply too many for any computer to make. At the end of the day, the day a computer can beat everyone in Dominion 100% of the time (which is impossible anyways due to draw luck) is the day Dominion becomes a smoldering crater where grass and trees once grew. I think it's impossible with current technology to actually program a simple code to 'read' the board. The only way to create such a thing right now is to load up a simulator with over 14 quadrillion different games at least.

Your post confuses me. The best chess programs are already better than the best humans, and they have been for over 15 years. Chess is still very much played and enjoyed by an incredible number of people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 12:04:06 am »

Your post confuses me. The best chess programs are already better than the best humans, and they have been for over 15 years. Chess is still very much played and enjoyed by an incredible number of people.

Technically they aren't unbeatable though. It's just that nobody is good enough to beat them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:50 am »

Technically they aren't unbeatable though. It's just that nobody is good enough to beat them.

Technically, we can't know if they're unbeatable till they get beat.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 12:16:19 am »
+1

Technically, we can't know if they're unbeatable till they get beat.

Don't they still beat each other?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 12:24:48 am »

Creating a bot that can beat all human players != knowing how to beat all human players by yourself. You run into one of two problems. Either you have an intuition of what the bot is doing, but don't have the mental capacity/processing to play that well, or you don't understand why the bot decides on the moves it does, and then you've got nothing.

I believe chess AIs tend to lie in the former, but there are definitely AIs that fall in the latter. AIs for Go in particular tend to work even though they're based on methods that feel fuzzy/weird. In both cases, a lot of the time what you're doing is throwing fifty ideas at the wall and seeing which of those stick and improve the bot's win rate, very little of which is actually applicable to playing the game better.

The existence of an unbeatable AI might make game analysis more cut-and-dry, in that you simply ask the bot to make the move from the game state you want to analyze, but I think people have already been doing computer analysis of chess games for a couple years and the game's still here.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 02:58:06 am »
+2

I think the neyt step to really develop dominion ais is platform where we can let them play against each other (or against humans)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 07:18:30 am »

There are games that are perfectly played by computers, like Checkers, Sudoku and Where's Waldo*, and people still play those for fun.

*: I am actually not sure if someone programmed an AI to play Where's Waldo, but I am sure it would be extremely simple with today's image recognition capabilities.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.