Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Why is Goko so bad ?  (Read 17195 times)

Sansa

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Why is Goko so bad ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:05:07 am »

I stopped playing when Isotropic went down and started playing on goko a few weeks back. I remember at the time Goko opening was always delayed because of bugs. And here we are today it's still utter garbage.

- I don't even enter the game, loading is frozen
- I got kick out of games for no reasons
- Automatch is finding an opponent every 3 hours
- I can't pay to buy the sets and the support won't even reply to me
- This one is special, when Im listening to a playlist on youtube, when a new song is coming up, it crashes the game and I can't see cards anymore.

I think that's all, I don't wanna go thru the pain of reading every threads, are these comon issues for everyone, is Goko still under development ? I stopped playing for almost 2 years and I have to admit it felt really good to play again, Dominion is the best game I ever played, but I might just drop it again...

Very frustrated here...

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Goko so bad ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:48 am »

Since you mention automatch, I presume you already have Salvager (the fan-made extension) installed?

I also recently started getting back into online Dominion and, while the experience hasn't been smooth, it's been bearable. One thing I noticed is that a couple of weeks ago the game started having severe graphical glitches when my laptop was running on battery power -- plugging it into the socket made Goko work semi-properly again. (I guess they've made the switch to WebGL or something like that and now require lots of graphic processing power.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:39:02 am »

I'm not saying goko is great (no way to blacklist cards = bad site), but I got none of the above problems. which browser are you using? I quickly switched to chrome which I'm now using solely for dominion, it works much better than firefox. also, automatch is not from goko, but from salvager, which is generally considered to be good, so careful :P

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 04:46:58 am »

If he says that automatch is finding an opponent every three hours maybe he doesn't have the extension and means waiting for people to join him in the lobby. I'm not sure though since he explicitly states automatch.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:27:18 am »
+3

mhpf okay now goko refuses to load games. maybe it read our discussion and couldn't have it that someone wasn't disliking it enough?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:22:58 am »

I'm not saying goko is great (no way to blacklist cards = bad site), but I got none of the above problems. which browser are you using? I quickly switched to chrome which I'm now using solely for dominion, it works much better than firefox. also, automatch is not from goko, but from salvager, which is generally considered to be good, so careful :P

Wouldn't you know it, I also use desktop Chrome solely for Goko Dominion. Makes a big difference, especially with Salvager.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:13 am »

mhpf okay now goko refuses to load games. maybe it read our discussion and couldn't have it that someone wasn't disliking it enough?

For me Goko is now (pretending to) load the game for several minutes hours now. It hasn't been that bad before...

I know you don't care for them, but the Adventures have been awful recently as well: I have to click the "Play Game" button a dozen times, and then usually get a black screen, so I have to reload the page. And after finally playing a few Adventures, the Adventure map claims I'm still at the old level (or even at a lower level)...

Edit: It's still trying to load the same game, for hours now; and I can't even reload the page without losing the game, it seems.  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:58:02 am by Holger »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:15:38 am »
+2

Obviously Goko starts having problems anytime someone new tries to play.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:09:03 am »
+1

Obviously Goko starts having problems anytime someone new tries to play.

FYP

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 10:10:43 am »

If he says that automatch is finding an opponent every three hours maybe he doesn't have the extension and means waiting for people to join him in the lobby. I'm not sure though since he explicitly states automatch.

Sansa installed in all probability the extension. Check user's post in the salvager thread  ;)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 05:05:02 am »

What's worse than Goko is some ppl playing on Goko, though. Yesterday I played a somewhat tricky engine and tried to figure out how to best get back to a certain card, when my opponent started insulting me badly. I replied that I just had to figure out what I'd have to do next, but he kept going on. Luckily, he just resigned and didn't slow play me.
I wonder how someone being at over 5K and having played more than 700 games can be such an idiot. Sometimes you just have to think, it's not all just slow playing.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 05:09:05 am »

the white cards bug is a funny one. I too encountered it, but i you play BMU, there is no problem luckily

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:17:45 am »
+1

I wonder how someone being at over 5K and having played more than 700 games can be such an idiot.
And this is why Iso levels exist.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 10:04:15 am »
+2

I wonder how someone being at over 5K and having played more than 700 games can be such an idiot. Sometimes you just have to think, it's not all just slow playing.

Some people want and expect fast games even at the expense of good play. Clocked games might be a good option if online Dominion ever got popular enough so players can be on the same page. Then you can have the 5 min game of speed Dominion you've always wanted.

And let's be honest, some people, even on this forum, play really slowly without actually slow playing....

IsotropicWasBetter

• Scout
  • "Goko is the Best"- said no-one ever
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 10:11:25 am »
+3

I think it's obvious: Isotropic was better!!!!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 03:31:55 pm »
+1

Some people want and expect fast games even at the expense of good play. Clocked games might be a good option if online Dominion ever got popular enough so players can be on the same page. Then you can have the 5 min game of speed Dominion you've always wanted.

And let's be honest, some people, even on this forum, play really slowly without actually slow playing....
That's me. I play really slowly because if I don't I will play much worse. I also play chess, where thinking for way longer than even that is normal, which may influence my speed in other games like dominion. Clocked games isn't a bad idea, in theory. But goko is still laggy fairly often, and engines will take a certain amount of time to play no matter what.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 04:23:42 pm »

That's me. I play really slowly because if I don't I will play much worse. I also play chess, where thinking for way longer than even that is normal, which may influence my speed in other games like dominion. Clocked games isn't a bad idea, in theory. But goko is still laggy fairly often, and engines will take a certain amount of time to play no matter what.

I was definitely thinking about chess. I also play fairly slowly. I like the idea of clocked games because those want to play fast then have no excuse for joining an untimed game. I feel bad sometimes playing people who want me to play faster. Lately, I have been just playing faster if they are speed demons. If I join a game marked fast players only, I definitely make sure I play fast. Well, at least not slow.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 02:38:51 pm »
+1

made a thread on the idea of timed dominion: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12007.0
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 09:57:50 am »

i just hosted a game... some guy joined... i pressed start... the game loaded... i was in alone... I thought that was too lonely, so I resigned... goko said now I lose 37 ranking

aside from the obvious nonsense and general buginess of this fact, doesn't this also mean if you play a game, someone else joins, and he leaves at the right time, and you then proceed to piledrive provinces, you win points out of nowhere?

e: although my rating doesn't seem to have changed, so maybe it was just an annotation bug.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:58:51 am by silverspawn »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 10:32:16 am »
+3

Goko was bad when it first came out.

Now it's bearable (as bearable as taking a lukewarm shower where the temperature sometimes spikes to boiling point or drops to freezing point).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

IsotropicWasBetter

• Scout
  • "Goko is the Best"- said no-one ever
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 11:20:02 am »

Goko was bad when it first came out.

Now it's bearable (as bearable as taking a lukewarm shower where the temperature sometimes spikes to boiling point or drops to freezing point).

Isotropic was better, we didn't have any of this malarkey on there!!! #isowasbetter #gokoisworse

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 02:50:11 pm »
+1

What's worse than Goko is some ppl playing on Goko, though. Yesterday I played a somewhat tricky engine and tried to figure out how to best get back to a certain card, when my opponent started insulting me badly. I replied that I just had to figure out what I'd have to do next, but he kept going on. Luckily, he just resigned and didn't slow play me.
This is what Salvager's blacklist is for.  By and large the Dominion community is WAY more polite than most online games I've played, so I've developed a hair trigger with the blacklist.  I know I'll still get plenty of competitive games if I blacklist someone the second they insult me even once.  That said, if I'm thinking longer than usual, trying to remember what's left in my deck or something like that, I will sometimes let my opponent know in the chat.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:50 pm »

i just hosted a game... some guy joined... i pressed start... the game loaded... i was in alone... I thought that was too lonely, so I resigned... goko said now I lose 37 ranking

aside from the obvious nonsense and general buginess of this fact, doesn't this also mean if you play a game, someone else joins, and he leaves at the right time, and you then proceed to piledrive provinces, you win points out of nowhere?

e: although my rating doesn't seem to have changed, so maybe it was just an annotation bug.

It's a display big, as noted. Specifically, it will reshow the last change.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
+1

Wow, it's really hard to believe that in the almost 2 years since I posted, the site hasn't gotten fixed.  I guess I'll check back in a couple more years.  Maybe the contract will have expired by then, and another team will get their shot.

Shame, it's such a great game, and plays so much better/faster/easier on a computer.  If someone could just figure out how to write the code properly.  Hmmmm.....

Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 05:32:06 pm »

Wow, it's really hard to believe that in the almost 2 years since I posted, the site hasn't gotten fixed.  I guess I'll check back in a couple more years.  Maybe the contract will have expired by then, and another team will get their shot.

Shame, it's such a great game, and plays so much better/faster/easier on a computer.  If someone could just figure out how to write the code properly.  Hmmmm.....
It is way way better than it was two years ago. It still has issues, but it is very playable using salvager. Some who have secret isotropic access have even said they prefer Goko to iso now. I think they're probably right.

Also, welcome back!!!! You left right around when I came.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.