Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Why is Goko so bad ?  (Read 17239 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Goko so bad ?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »

Wow, it's really hard to believe that in the almost 2 years since I posted, the site hasn't gotten fixed.  I guess I'll check back in a couple more years.  Maybe the contract will have expired by then, and another team will get their shot.

Shame, it's such a great game, and plays so much better/faster/easier on a computer.  If someone could just figure out how to write the code properly.  Hmmmm.....
It is way way better than it was two years ago. It still has issues, but it is very playable using salvager. Some who have secret isotropic access have even said they prefer Goko to iso now. I think they're probably right.

Also, welcome back!!!! You left right around when I came.

That makes me feel old, and I lurked until well after the forum was started.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 06:09:51 pm »
+3

Wow, it's really hard to believe that in the almost 2 years since I posted, the site hasn't gotten fixed.  I guess I'll check back in a couple more years.  Maybe the contract will have expired by then, and another team will get their shot.

Shame, it's such a great game, and plays so much better/faster/easier on a computer.  If someone could just figure out how to write the code properly.  Hmmmm.....

Another team HAS gotten a shot.  We just keep calling it Goko out of habit.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »
+1

Presumably the network problems in the game run incredibly deep, but this is still pretty ridiculous. You know, I just realized that having the side log is entirely because of Salvager. The game has been out this long, and the chat window UI is still that bad.

The biggest problem is that it feels like it isn't being worked on. It could be, but it's entirely unclear and there's no communication besides the occasional server maintenance message. Other games can have the same feel, but other games are generally a lot more polished than Goko before they reach that state...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 08:09:44 pm »

Another team HAS gotten a shot.  We just keep calling it Goko out of habit.

You mean Funsockets/Goko fired all its programmers and the current state of affairs is attributable to a NEW team?

I was being ironic AND simultaneously paying much-deserved respect to DougZ, who obviously had a program that worked.  Two years should be long enough to fix a substandard product, but if there is no incentive to fix it (i.e., people pay for stuff that doesn't work like it should), why bother.  Heck, two years is a whole product cycle.  There should have been a "new" version that looks completely different, and makes everyone relearn everything about its operation - oh wait, that's a different company.

Edit: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:45:39 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 08:13:58 pm »
+2

LOL, trying to catch up on two years worth of posts.  Started with the threads I've posted in, and immediately found this from 2013:

I bought goko. Anyone want to play?

All of it?
Yeah. My first move is to fire everyone else and hire Dougz.
Posting begets posting.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:48 pm »

FWIW someone posted on the Dominion Online FB page and MF responded 10 hours ago by saying that Dominion 2.0 would address the problems of not having a game load and losing points for that. So, it seems like at some point we will be getting a new online version of Dominion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »
+3

Just a friendly reminder: dougz was the first person they asked to make the official version and he turned the job down.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 08:42:36 pm »
+1

Yeah, I know, and I can understand it wasn't what he wanted to do.  He gets bonus points for knowing that.

My point is he was one guy.  Goko is presumably a whole company, with like, I dunno, four guys or something.  And they've had TWO YEARS.  It's laughable, and mind boggling, and so..... Uh-murr-i-can.

We just put a lander on a freakin comet moving at 18 kilometers per second, having properly computed (10 years in advance) multiple orbital acceleration points using different objects in the solar system as slingshots.  Network issues for a game must be REALLY hard.

If it is "network problems" maybe Goko could steal some Blizzard folks.  They seem to be able to accommodate a few people logging in at one time.
Posting begets posting.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »

Yeah, I know, and I can understand it wasn't what he wanted to do.  He gets bonus points for knowing that.

My point is he was one guy.  Goko is presumably a whole company, with like, I dunno, four guys or something.  And they've had TWO YEARS.  It's laughable, and mind boggling, and so..... Uh-murr-i-can.

We just put a lander on a freakin comet moving at 18 kilometers per second, having properly computed (10 years in advance) multiple orbital acceleration points using different objects in the solar system as slingshots.  Network issues for a game must be REALLY hard.

If it is "network problems" maybe Goko could steal some Blizzard folks.  They seem to be able to accommodate a few people logging in at one time.
The thing is goko doesn't actually seem to have very many people working for it...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »
+1

From what I understand MF took over about a year or so ago. At first, they tried to reconcile with the initial Goko code but realized it was shit and gave up on that. Right now, they are working on developing an all-new online Dominion implementation. It should have been out already, but hey, you know what, I rather they get it right this time and release it when it is ready rather than give us something that sucks like goko did the first time.

I understand your frustrations. Goko is far from perfect.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:56 pm »

From what I understand MF took over about a year or so ago. At first, they tried to reconcile with the initial Goko code but realized it was shit and gave up on that. Right now, they are working on developing an all-new online Dominion implementation. It should have been out already, but hey, you know what, I rather they get it right this time and release it when it is ready rather than give us something that sucks like goko did the first time.

I understand your frustrations. Goko is far from perfect.
Either way, I expect Dominion 2.0 to take a long time to come out. Last I heard, they were going to use an entirely new platform, namely Unity, to build the new version. I can only hope the Making Fun staff have enough experience with Unity to make a quality product.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 02:44:30 am »
+2

What's up with the negativity? I for one am very grateful that so far they've been failing at making it much worse, though admittedly it would take a team with the ingenuity of those comet guys to actually succeed at that.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 08:10:29 am »

I think you answered your own question.
Posting begets posting.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »
+7

Is there an ETA on when the new product will be released (counting expected delays)?

I need to know in how many months/years I need to check this forum again...

Though to be fair it might be rough if I ever DID start playing again... hard to get back to my old skill when I've never played with a huge % of the cards.

Also hi everyone who remembers me, especially the few who might be on here who I've known in real life!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 05:37:28 pm »

Is there an ETA on when the new product will be released (counting expected delays)?

Though to be fair it might be rough if I ever DID start playing again... hard to get back to my old skill when I've never played with a huge % of the cards.

Also hi everyone who remembers me, especially the few who might be on here who I've known in real life!

I think the estimate they gave when they announced the project is now negative and I don't think we've heard anything since.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 05:42:53 pm »

Ahhh O, the man who is 1/4 of Ozle!
You posted the same day I did after a long absence. People will talk.....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:37 pm »

Why it's, it's, it's, it's, an Ozle!!! Preceded by O!!

Wow, next it will be Yuma.  Welcome back guys, I've just come back also.
Posting begets posting.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 06:06:26 pm »

It's not just the few who remember you; you are one of the legendary "disappeared from the forum" guys.  A lot of people will remember/know of you.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 06:51:27 pm »

Pffft ive been here all day, and my other accounts been posting most of the year, although i think he has stopped now
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 07:24:08 pm »
+1

Pffft ive been here all day, and my other accounts been posting most of the year, although i think he has stopped now

When did you and Eevee become the same person???

It's not just the few who remember you; you are one of the legendary "disappeared from the forum" guys.  A lot of people will remember/know of you.

Thanks! <3 Though the "few" in my post was referring to those on here who I have personally met, which is indeed a smaller subset  :P

To keep this thread slightly on topic: I play games to relax and have fun while challenging myself. I'm sure many of us realize that websites and programs not working can make some of us completely irrationally furious within a span of about six seconds...

Quite simply, the bar for Dominion to be a game I can/want to play and enjoy online is not "almost acceptable.. if you patch and use user modifications". My love of the game does not extend enough that I'm willing to enrage myself over poor coding and bugs; i'd rather play a worse game that doesn't make me quite as angry.

Clearly this post is slightly silly as it isn't reaching the devs but I just felt like giving my opinion that the people who complain continuously about Goko aren't being petty or entitled; some of us simply cannot handle bugs, glitches, and feature deficits and as such the product as a whole simply isn't enough for us.  :'(

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 07:48:11 pm »

I wouldn't worry. Knowing you, you'll be back around level 40 in no time.  :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, they got Prince up within a week or so of it being released, and implemented it correctly.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »
+4

Guys, they can't all be the best online implementation of Dominion ever.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 05:33:49 pm »

For what it's worth, they got Prince up within a week or so of it being released, and implemented it correctly.

I think it was like a month, not a week. But I agree it was a perfectly reasonable timeframe. And of course an hour after Prince was revealed, there were doubters on f.ds asking what on earth is taking so long, surely any competent team could implement Prince in an hour.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 05:49:13 pm »

I think it was like a month, not a week. But I agree it was a perfectly reasonable timeframe. And of course an hour after Prince was revealed, there were doubters on f.ds asking what on earth is taking so long, surely any competent team could implement Prince in an hour.

In fairness, Goko was not aware that it was being released, so was quite quick to go on there, as they had to implement order of duration + prince cards. I seem to remember they released one of the expansions (Guilds maybe?) at the same as the actual cards, which was pretty good.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.