Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A new way to include Colony & Platinum  (Read 3201 times)

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
A new way to include Colony & Platinum
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:59 pm »

My IRL Dominion buddy and I have noticed that the shuffler is not including Colony & Platinum very often, now that we have more post-Prosperity sets. Specifically, it includes them 15.9% of the time (figure found using 10% per prosperity card rule and the combin function).

This is too little for us, so we come up with another way to do it. Counting Potion as 2.5, and peddler as 8, the average cost of a dominion card is 4.2. The average cost of a prosperity card is 5.1, and the average cost of the non-prosperity cards is 4.0. You can fuss about my valuations of potion and peddler, but they won't affect the averages across 157 cards much.

Here is our method:
Add up all the costs of your tableau (if you play dominion, you should be able to add 10 small numbers together quickly).
Subtract 40.
Multiply by 10%
Randomly determine if you play with Colony of Platinum based on that probability.

Example: costs add up to 47. Use 70% chance to play with Colony.

A quick simulation shows this increases the chance of playing with Colony & Platinum to about 30% total. The chance of playing with them increases as the cards get more valuable, as intended with Prosperity. Me likey.

Other options:
Don't like the random option? Use 45 as your tipping point.

Like rolling dice?
Use 42, 44, 46, 48, 50 and 52 as your break points, with 1/6,2/6,... 6/6 probability of playing.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: A new way to include Colony & Platinum
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:23 pm »
+3

I like the idea of increasing the frequency of playing with Platinum/Colony, but that sounds like a lot of work just to increase the odds a little.  In any case, price alone isn't necessarily a great indicator for whether or not any given card is better with Colonies or Provinces.

The usual rule is that the chance of using Platinum/Colony is proportional to the percentage of Prosperity cards in the kingdom, right?  So if you've got 3 out of 10 Prosperity cards, play with Platinum/Colony 30% of the time.  This is mathematically equivalent to having the 10 kingdom piles in front of you and randomly picking one.  If it's a Prosperity card, use Platinum/Colony.

Simple way to increase the odds while still keeping the correlation with Prosperity cards:  randomly choose two kingdom piles, and if either are from Prosperity, use Platinum/Colony.  Randomly choose three to increase the chances even further.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »

The usual rule is that the chance of using Platinum/Colony is proportional to the percentage of Prosperity cards in the kingdom, right?  So if you've got 3 out of 10 Prosperity cards, play with Platinum/Colony 30% of the time.  This is mathematically equivalent to having the 10 kingdom piles in front of you and randomly picking one.  If it's a Prosperity card, use Platinum/Colony.

Simple way to increase the odds while still keeping the correlation with Prosperity cards:  randomly choose two kingdom piles, and if either are from Prosperity, use Platinum/Colony.  Randomly choose three to increase the chances even further.

I really like those ideas. Thanks.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 05:45:37 am »

I don't own Prosperity and even if I did, I like the current way of determining whether or not to use Plat/Col, but...

Why have you decided Potion costs $2.5? I just don't get it. The cost of $4 is printed on the card, why change it to an arbitrary number instead of just using the printed cost?

Edit: And in fact, why assign Potion a cost at all? It's not a Kingdom Card so it will never even be used in your calculation  ???

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:48:11 am »

I don't own Prosperity and even if I did, I like the current way of determining whether or not to use Plat/Col, but...

Why have you decided Potion costs $2.5? I just don't get it. The cost of $4 is printed on the card, why change it to an arbitrary number instead of just using the printed cost?

Edit: And in fact, why assign Potion a cost at all? It's not a Kingdom Card so it will never even be used in your calculation  ???

You don't assign the cost to the Potion, but want to have a way to assign a one-dimensional cost to something like 2p,4p etc...
Edit: I guess.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:28 am »

Oh, I get it.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:32:27 am »

To extend TINAS's idea - just take the 10 randomizer cards, and before you draw take a couple non-prosperity cards out, therefore increasing your chances. You take out more if you're really keen to play with colonies.

In fact, you could just take out one more each subsequent time if you still don't get a colony so it gets increasing likely each time.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:04:15 am »

A couple of fine ideas have been given. But, you know, if you really want to play with colonies and platinum... You can just choose to include them.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:43:44 am »

The idea is to include colonies/platinums on boards where the cards are powerful and/or create lots of money. The prosperity cards fall into this category, so do most high cost cards.

I like rinkworks idea too, but some boards without prosperity could easily support colony/platinum.

If you want to just choose, do that (we have looked at boards and said: this one gets colonies). If you like the randomness, I have proposed a new way to do it. Just pick the X biggest cards as your +ve result, and draw one.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.