Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Groundless speculation about the 2015 expansion  (Read 88461 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
Groundless speculation about the 2015 expansion
« on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:21 am »
+4

Here are my guesses:

• We will see new Duration cards. This is a design space that hasn't been explored that much, since all existing Duration cards leave play the turn after you play them, whereas the Duration mechanic makes it possible for them to be in play longer than that. I expect Durations that you can feed somehow to keep in play turn after turn (If there ever are to be more Durations, a big set is the right place for it, where there can be enough of them to justify including all about Durations in the rules again.)
    • We will see a new card costing $1
    • We will see anew card with an oversized pile (like Rats). Maybe a small-value victory card.
    • There will be a few cards that are similar to some existing fan cards.

That's my groundless speculation. How about yours?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:45:27 am by pst »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
Re: Groundless speculation about the 2015 expansion
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:07:29 am »

• We will see new Duration cards. This is a design space that hasn't been explored that much, since all existing Duration cards leave play the turn after you play them, whereas the Duration mechanic makes it possible for them to be in play longer than that. I expect Durations that you can feed somehow to keep in play turn after turn (If there ever are to be more Durations, a big set is the right place for it, where there can be enough of them to justify including all about Durations in the rules again.)

I thought about new durations, too. But then, there's Prince being released as Promo, which would have fitted that set, and cards that stay forever are probably very powerful and therefore, hard to balance.
On the other hand, maybe there could be something like durations that do nothing in the first place but can be discarted to do some cool stuff, so you have to set them aside again, or just be trashed.
I'm also thinking something new with Curses could be done. I think I somewhere picked up that there will never be Curse multi type cards, because Curses don't count as being a "type", but what if a card would tell you to replace the Curse pile with something else on setup, and players gain one of that other card when they would gain a Curse?

/E: Maybe the fancard makers are more suited to speculate here. I guess they're more into stuff that hasn't been done with Dominion, yet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:31:05 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:34 am »
+25

My guesses

We will have a village, a junker, a terminal draw, a trasher, a green card, and a reaction. Oh, and something that gives +Buy And, a workshop variant.

Cas Liber

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:12:52 am »

What might be more constructive is what we'd like to see.....maybe someone will notice......

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:24 am »

new duration cards: yea, i was thinking about that too. it would be pretty cool.
new card costing 1$: I very, very much doubt it
new oversized pile: also don't think that.
similar to fan cards: well, there are way more fan cards than this forum suggests (try using google search), even though most of them are pretty bad. So, dunno. but it'll be interesting to look for that.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:29:39 am »
+1

There will be a few cards that are similar to some existing fan cards.

I imagine there is a similar effect that occurs in music composition -- at this point, without introducing big new mechanics, just by the number of possible combinations, at least some things will be close to something that has been tried before. (For instance, probably every vanilla combination of +buy/+action/+coin/+card that is at all reasonable has been proposed.) I think Donald X has said that one of the reasons he doesn't evaluate fan cards is to avoid insinuations that he's copying them!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:51:55 am »

I thought about new durations, too. But then, there's Prince being released as Promo, which would have fitted that set, and cards that stay forever are probably very powerful and therefore, hard to balance.

Yes, but there is a lot of middle ground between being active only extra turn and active for the rest of the game. Like I said it could be that you have to "feed" it to keep it active. Like "when this is in play you may put a Silver on it. If you do +$2, and at the beginning of your next turn discard the Silver and +$2". You can have that going for awhile, but eventually you won't have that Silver, and the duration will be discarded during cleanup. (That's not an actual suggestion for a card. Just an example of what kind of thing I mean.)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:54:01 am »
+5

I think I somewhere picked up that there will never be Curse multi type cards, because Curses don't count as being a "type"

Of course Curses count as a type. The problem is that "Curse" is both the name of the card and the name of the type, so having any other card with the type "Curse" but a different name would be confusing.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:59:29 am »

Perhaps it will be an ironman expansion. "When you trash this card, physically destroy it. Set aside the pieces".

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:07 am »
+1

Perhaps it will be an ironman expansion. "When you trash this card, physically destroy it. Set aside the pieces".
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:18 am »
+3

There will be a new mechanic.  Every expansion has had one.  I see no reason why this one would be different.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:20 am »
+1

Dominion: Legacy, in the manner of Risk: Legacy.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:20 am »

Given the size of the expansion (400 cards), another new basic card might be introduced that a lot of the cards interact with.  We've already had new shit cards and new starting cards, as well new card cost, so, yeah, something like that?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 10:38:38 am »

There will be a new mechanic.  Every expansion has had one.  I see no reason why this one would be different.

Hinterlands didn't have one, did it?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:41 am »

Hinterlands almost introduced the on-buy mechanic, although it was already on Mint.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 10:42:27 am »
+3

Hinterlands almost introduced the on-buy mechanic, although it was already on Mint.

Hinterlands introduced on-gain effects. Prosperity actually has a bunch of on-buy effects if you count Talisman, Hoard, etc.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 10:46:02 am »
+1

What might be more constructive is what we'd like to see.....maybe someone will notice......
I doubt it given that it's probably already pretty close to finalised by now, and may even be going to print by this stage.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 10:58:58 am »

Hinterlands introduced on-gain effects.
okay, if that counts. i mean, it's very similar to on-buy effects. but I guess it's a new mechanic.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 11:56:22 am »

Are there any existing card mechanics that have not been paired together, that would be a possibility? (not Action-Treasure...)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:06:32 pm »

How many cards using a new mechanic does it take to associate it with the expansion? Dark Ages had several new mechanics (gaining cards from the trash, "upgrading" to non-supply cards, random supply piles), but none was used for more than 2 or 3 card piles. I'd say neither mechanic was essential to Dark Ages on its own, the common denominator of the expansion was the well-known mechanic of trashing. (The Shelters supported this mechanic, but I wouldn't consider them quintessential either.)

Similarly, Cornucopia had only a theme of "caring about variety", but I wouldn't call it a new mechanic.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:49 pm »
+1

Hinterlands introduced on-gain effects.
okay, if that counts. i mean, it's very similar to on-buy effects. but I guess it's a new mechanic.

According to the secret histories, Hinterlands was designed to be a simple expansion that would be good for new players to get familiar with the game. This might explain its simple mechanics, simple concepts (sifting, on-gain), and lack of add-on stuff (mats and tokens and whatnot).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »

How many cards using a new mechanic does it take to associate it with the expansion? Dark Ages had several new mechanics (gaining cards from the trash, "upgrading" to non-supply cards, random supply piles), but none was used for more than 2 or 3 card piles. I'd say neither mechanic was essential to Dark Ages on its own, the common denominator of the expansion was the well-known mechanic of trashing. (The Shelters supported this mechanic, but I wouldn't consider them quintessential either.)

Similarly, Cornucopia had only a theme of "caring about variety", but I wouldn't call it a new mechanic.
Dark Ages in also a rather combo-heavy expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »
+7

What we CAN speculate about with some grounding is the color of the box.

So far we've had:

Pink (light red), ____, Orange, Yellow (base cards), Green-Yellow, Green, Light Blue, ____, Purple, Brown, Dark Brown, Grey.

The blank ones would be Red (dark Pink) and Dark Blue.  The only other reasonable options would be Black and White.

From the color, we could probably also guess the theme:

Red: War, something Renaissance
Dark Blue: More Durations
Black: Something Industry or Gunpowder related
White: Something religion or Enlightenment-related
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:30:58 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »
+16

New Mechanic, $5 Action
+$2
When you gain this, look at the Instructions/FAQ and argue with the player on your left about how you think this interacts with Possession.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 02:35:54 pm »
+4

My guess is the new expansion will have bees.

Beekeeper - $4 Action/Attack
+$4
Everyone gains a Bee
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.