Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: New expansion confirmed  (Read 45026 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: New expansion confirmed
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2014, 10:50:57 am »
+2

I just realized that we can measure the approximate release date in terms of Dominion League seasons. 4-5 seasons for the name of the expansion? 7-9 seasons for the previews? Somehow, it makes the wait sting less.

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »

400 cards strongly implies there will be "extra" stuff. Otherwise we are taking about >35 kingdom cards.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2014, 01:26:27 pm »

400 cards strongly implies there will be "extra" stuff. Otherwise we are taking about >35 kingdom cards.

Not quite, 35 kingdom cards already means at least 385 cards (with 11 cards per pile), and more with VP cards. You can't fit in a 36th card when there's more than 2 VP cards.
Still, 35 kingdom cards would be huge; I would also expect extra "base" cards or something similar with 400 cards. Maybe ~50-100 extra cards and 30-26 kingdom cards?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2014, 01:29:17 pm »

Dark Ages had 35, though.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:18 pm »

Not quite, 35 kingdom cards already means at least 385 cards (with 11 cards per pile), and more with VP cards. You can't fit in a 36th card when there's more than 2 VP cards.
Still, 35 kingdom cards would be huge; I would also expect extra "base" cards or something similar with 400 cards. Maybe ~50-100 extra cards and 30-26 kingdom cards?

I kind of hope we don't get extra base cards. We can already buy base cards or get them with base/intrigue. Also, of note, Jay says they may at some point in the future change base and intrigue to have the new base cards with arts. Also, they are planning on selling a package of coin tokens for those of us who want more tokens.

Anyway, my guess is that we are getting a 35 kingdom set like DA just without crazy cards added in.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2014, 02:01:17 pm »
+1

I kind of hope we don't get extra base cards. We can already buy base cards or get them with base/intrigue.

I'm pretty sure that by "extra base cards", he meant some new cards that were in the Supply, but not Kingdom cards, like Potion, Ruins, etc.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2014, 02:06:21 pm »

Anyway, my guess is that we are getting a 35 kingdom set like DA just without crazy cards added in.

If that's the case, it's unlikely we'll get Victory cards.  Donald did say after Feodum that there really wasn't all that much more he could really *do* with Victory cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2014, 02:12:04 pm »

I kind of hope we don't get extra base cards. We can already buy base cards or get them with base/intrigue.

I'm pretty sure that by "extra base cards", he meant some new cards that were in the Supply, but not Kingdom cards, like Potion, Ruins, etc.

Yes. Jay already ruled out including the standard base cards in the new expansion on BGG.

If that's the case, it's unlikely we'll get Victory cards.  Donald did say after Feodum that there really wasn't all that much more he could really *do* with Victory cards.

He also said that he put all remaining working card ideas into Dark Ages ;-) I hope he's still found something new and interesting - it's unlikely that all new cards use a new mechanic, no expansion has ever done this...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:29 pm »
+1

wasn't that purely directed to alt VP? you can still do victory cards with a static VP boost and either a reaction or an on-gain/buy, like tunnel or farmland.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2014, 03:21:44 pm »
+3

Also, of note, Jay says they may at some point in the future change base and intrigue to have the new base cards with arts.

Maybe somewhat OT, but am I the only one who HATES the full-card art Base Cards? Maybe the numbers on the originals didn't have to be so enormous, but why in the world would you go to the opposite extreme and make them such a tiny part of the card? It's terrible for user-friendliness, especially for less experienced players. Why would they not have the art on the top half like all other cards, or at least leave enough room for coin/point symbols of a similar size to those on cards like Cache and Farmland?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »
+3

Also, of note, Jay says they may at some point in the future change base and intrigue to have the new base cards with arts.

Maybe somewhat OT, but am I the only one who HATES the full-card art Base Cards? Maybe the numbers on the originals didn't have to be so enormous, but why in the world would you go to the opposite extreme and make them such a tiny part of the card? It's terrible for user-friendliness, especially for less experienced players. Why would they not have the art on the top half like all other cards, or at least leave enough room for coin/point symbols of a similar size to those on cards like Cache and Farmland?

Germany got the best of both worlds. Nice art plus larger, eye-catching coin and VP amounts.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1814039/dominion

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »

Germany got the best of both worlds. Nice art plus larger, eye-catching coin and VP amounts.

On the other hand, many expansions are out of print now because RGG started publishing German Dominion expansions themselves and not every one has been re-released, yet. Alchemy and Hinterlands have been put together in one box which really sucks if you don't have Alchemy already (like me). The Guilds release took like forever as well.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2014, 03:46:28 pm »

On the other hand, many expansions are out of print now because RGG started publishing German Dominion expansions themselves and not every one has been re-released, yet. Alchemy and Hinterlands have been put together in one box which really sucks if you don't have Alchemy already (like me). The Guilds release took like forever as well.

You mean Alchemy and Cornucopia have been put together in one box. Yeah, that's a shame if you already own one of them.

EDIT: On the other hand, holy shit is Guilds ever expensive compared to the full-sized sets. (30€ for Guilds, 35€ for full-sized expansions, 40€ for the base set.) For only 5€ more, you're getting twice as much content. No wonder Hans im Glück wanted smaller expansions if they were charging that much for them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:50:02 pm by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2014, 03:48:52 pm »

You mean Alchemy and Cornucopia have been put together in one box. Yeah, that's a shame if you already own one of them.

This *intrigues* me.  Link?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2014, 03:50:24 pm »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2014, 04:04:58 pm »
+1

EDIT: On the other hand, holy shit is Guilds ever expensive compared to the full-sized sets. (30€ for Guilds, 35€ for full-sized expansions, 40€ for the base set.) For only 5€ more, you're getting twice as much content. No wonder Hans im Glück wanted smaller expansions if they were charging that much for them.

Yeah you're absolutely right, it's Cornucopia and Alchemy. Oh, and I didn't want to complain about pricing but when they were at Hans im Glück, large sets were around 25-30 € (Dark Ages was a bit more expensive, 30-35€), small sets were around 18-25€.
I think I got my Guilds with discount for 23€, though
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:11:01 pm by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2014, 04:39:06 pm »

I'm sure they intend to have everything re-released around when it makes sense to. There were a lot of leftover HiG copies of expansions filling up store shelves.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »

I still didn't buy Guilds because I can't get over the fact that it costs nearly as much as Dark Ages despite only having a third of the cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2014, 04:56:57 pm »
+1

I still didn't buy Guilds because I can't get over the fact that it costs nearly as much as Dark Ages despite only having a third of the cards.

Coin tokens, man.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »
+6

Did Celestial Chameleon playtest?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »

You know, with 400 cards if this has two victory cards and no blanks that would leave with us with exactly 36 kingdom cards this expansion. This could technically be bigger than DA even though it has 100 less cards.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2014, 07:03:20 pm »
+2

Did Celestial Chameleon playtest?

Peebles! Welcome back!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »
+1

I forgot about the randomizers.  Still, Kingdom would be >33, which is huge.  I fully expect there to be a couple extras (i.e. non-Kingdom piles), which could be quite large piles potentially.  I would bank on 25-30 Kingdom cards, which still easily qualifies as "a large one".

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:28 am »
+1

But it's awkward to have the larger coin symbols when you hold several cards, since they're larger than the kingdom Treasures' corner symbols, and not quite at the upper corner. Unless you sort your hand cards with only the upper left corner visible...
And the VP amounts have no business in the upper half of the card (nor in the bottom line, for that matter), you don't need to see them when stacking your hand cards. 

So I agree with Rubby (no matter the German/English difference). They should have made the base cards' design consistent with the kingdom cards (see Harem) - or, if they insisted on full-size images, at least superimpose the large (at least Harem-sized) coin/VP amount over the image at the "right position", which is the center or the middle of the lower half of the card, not the upper corner or the bottom line.
Also, the coins' images are too "crowded" and too obstrusive for my taste. The VP/Curse images are beautiful and inconspicuous enough, though...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:40 am »
+5

I think Isotropic had it right by simply having the large coin in the center be a colour associated with the treasure.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.