Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: New expansion confirmed  (Read 45123 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: New expansion confirmed
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 09:33:45 am »
+13

Will the Chicago attendees get credited for playtesting once the expansion comes out?

I certainly wouldn't think so! My contributions consisted almost entirely of saying "this card is fun" or "this card isn't fun." Which is a thing to know, but really...

Front of the box of the new expansion:

"This card is fun!" - Voltaire

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 09:34:28 am »
+1

You don't need only good players to playtest cards, maybe you want to, you know, have some more intermediate players (it is a complete coincidence that I'm an intermediate player...), uh, playtest too, for, uh, er, a, different, standpoint, or something...? ::)

And I need early knowledge of the upcoming cards so that I can properly prep one-off memes for them in advance.  ;)

Damn, that's a good point.  All the Chicago meetup people have a huge advantage in the fake internet points.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:02 am »

*spasms*

And now we have to wait 6 months before we hear anything else about this, even a title.

And of course by "we" I'm not including you people who went to the Chicago meetup.
On the bright side, Temporum is coming out any day now.

Reminds me, I need to figure out what Temporum is.

But seriously, realistically, I should not be getting excited right now.

We might learn the title in January.
Which would mean we'd might learn the theme of the set in March.
Which would mean we'd might see the cover of the box in May.
Which would mean we'd might see the previews in August.
Which would mean we'd finally get to purchase the expansion in September.

It seems rather counterproductive to get hyped for something I'm not even really going to know anything about, let alone play, for almost another year.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:16 am »

So now I have to figure out what to be more jealous of: That some people have gotten to playtest the new expansion, or that some people have gotten to play Dominion on Isotropic again!
For me, the latter. One day, I will be able to play the new expansion. I will never get to play Isotropic Dominion again.

I have to agree with this one. :(
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:22 am »
+5

Obviously, the only ethical option is to operate Isotropic on a clandestine server.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 12:21:11 pm »
+17

So now I have to figure out what to be more jealous of: That some people have gotten to playtest the new expansion, or that some people have gotten to play Dominion on Isotropic again!

I have to be honest with you, I was one of the people who whined the most about Goko when we lost Iso -- maybe not here but I was really butt-hurt about it.

When I played on Iso for the first time doing this, I was really surprised at the way I felt about it. While playing, and for about a day after, I was filled with a lot of emotions, not too different from reconnecting with someone I used to date. There was an overwhelming amount of happiness, sadness, lots of different things going on.

I know I may come off as emotional on a lot of my videos, but I don't actually feel most of the emotions you see, I haven't really been all that emotional of a person for several years now. Playing on Iso really stirred up a lot more than I was expecting, and a lot more than I thought I was capable of feeling.

And here's the strange thing, it wasn't all good. I mean, I had some really good times on Iso -- that's where I grew as a Dominion player to where I am now. It was so cool seeing the Dark Ages and Guilds cards on there, and watching newer cards change ALL the time.

But I've gotten really used to Goko and if I had to pick between Goko in its current state (including extension) and Iso, it's not a difficult choice for me: I'd rather play on Goko.

The pace may be slower, but I really don't mind that. It's so much better at allowing me to follow what my opponent is doing -- I don't have to add up to see how many actions, buys, and dollars they had at the end of their turn, which is super-useful. I don't have to click on the info button and look through a lot of information to see something that I can either see already from the main screen or can see relatively clearly from just one click on Goko. And you may not believe it, but there are misclicks that happen on Iso that just don't happen on Goko (though I have to admit I needed to change my pants the first time I got to use the undo playing basic treasures feature again).

On the other hand, you should have seen me the night I got that message from DXV asking me to playtest. I was hosting a board game night at my house and I'm in the middle of a game of Resistance when I see it on my phone. Everyone is like "Adam, it's your turn, what are you going to do?" and I'm sitting there holding my phone in front of my face, with my mouth just hanging open like an idiot. I was squeeing so hard I literally couldn't speak. I'm smiling like an idiot as I type this just thinking about it, and that was several months ago.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:26:38 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 12:30:38 pm »
+5

Adam is 100% correct. I think it's fantastic that we had isotropic for testing the new set, and a million thanks to dougz for that. But as far as play experience goes, Goko (with the extension) beats it hands-down. As Adam said, it's worlds easier to track what your opponent is doing. And more than that, I find I have a much better feel for what's in my own deck on Goko than I do on iso.

Goko was really bad when it was first released. Way worse than what we were used to with iso. But current-day Goko with Salvager available is generally superior. Take it from some dudes who have used both really recently.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:32:02 pm by LastFootnote »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2014, 12:34:22 pm »
+1

I was really butt-hurt....

I was filled with a lot of emotions, not too different from reconnecting with someone I used to date. There was an overwhelming amount of happiness, sadness, lots of different things going on....

I don't actually feel most of the emotions you see, I haven't really been all that emotional of a person for several years now. Playing on Iso really stirred up a lot more than I was expecting, and a lot more than I thought I was capable of feeling....

The pace may be slower, but I really don't mind that....

...I'm sitting there holding my phone in front of my face, with my mouth just hanging open like an idiot. I was squeeing so hard I literally couldn't speak. I'm smiling like an idiot as I type this just thinking about it, and that was several months ago.

Take it to RSP!!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:36:14 pm by Polk5440 »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:44 pm »
+3

Thirding their sentiments.  I love iso, and it definitely has its advantages, but it's WAY harder to keep track of what's going on, which is somewhat of a big deal, especially with new cards that may do things you aren't expecting.  We should be grateful for what we have at this point. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2014, 01:19:48 pm »
+5

Early next year!

Although we cannot yet suggest a release date, we expect to begin working on the art later this month or early next. Given normal turnaround time, we would expect to have all the card art by the end of the year. At that point, we can begin putting it all together and offering translation files to those partners who are interested. We expect then to be able to release the game in late spring - dare I say March or April or May. We will send more information as we have it.

Jay

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 01:25:57 pm »
+6

Early next year!

Although we cannot yet suggest a release date, we expect to begin working on the art later this month or early next. Given normal turnaround time, we would expect to have all the card art by the end of the year. At that point, we can begin putting it all together and offering translation files to those partners who are interested. We expect then to be able to release the game in late spring - dare I say March or April or May. We will send more information as we have it.

Jay

Okay.

AAAAAAAABRLARGLRARGLASD;LFKJASODIVMXCV

WE CAN GET EXCITED IT'S NOT TOO SOON
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »
+2

Early next year!

Jay

Disclaimer: I have no inside information about when the set will be available. I am speaking only from past experience with board game releases.

There are board to be delays, as there always are. I'm going to guess that if Jay is saying March through May now, it'll be out in June or July. Nothing against Jay. I'm just going by the track record for Dominion expansions.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:48 pm »
+2

Disclaimer: I have no inside information about when the set will be available. I am speaking only from past experience with board game releases.

There are board to be delays, as there always are. I'm going to guess that if Jay is saying March through May now, it'll be out in June or July. Nothing against Jay. I'm just going by the track record for Dominion expansions.
Historically it's been May, June, or July, for expansions where the art was started after Spiel. I don't know what caused those differences; it may just be up to when Jay gets to it. However if it's printed in the USA as I suspect it will be, that could shave a month off of the time for the US release.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2014, 01:47:46 pm »

Historically it's been May, June, or July, for expansions where the art was started after Spiel. I don't know what caused those differences; it may just be up to when Jay gets to it. However if it's printed in the USA as I suspect it will be, that could shave a month off of the time for the US release.

Would it be too much to ask, then, to know the title of the set?  I mean, we knew Guilds for well over a year in advance.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 01:50:00 pm »
+3

Would it be too much to ask, then, to know the title of the set?  I mean, we knew Guilds for well over a year in advance.

I'm going to take a wild guess at who has the authority to answer this question...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2014, 01:53:11 pm »
+20

It's too much to ask! So that's that, you've over-asked. Now you have to unask some stuff.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2014, 02:10:37 pm »
+5

We could refer to it by code name. Someone already suggested Dominion: Bomb. I propose Dominion: Gunpowder or, should that not be popular, Dominion: Zebra Riders.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »

We could refer to it by code name. Someone already suggested Dominion: Bomb. I propose Dominion: Gunpowder or, should that not be popular, Dominion: Zebra Riders.

I would be totally down with a Dominion: Industry expansion all about trains and steam engines and lightbulbs.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
+2

I would be totally down with a Dominion: Industry expansion all about trains and steam engines and lightbulbs.

How about Dominion: Scout is Good?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:41 pm »
+1

Dominion: Why do People Even Complain About Explorer?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2014, 02:47:36 pm »
+4

Dominion: Chicken.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 03:13:40 pm »
+4

Dominion: Renaissance

Obviously.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2014, 03:32:12 pm »
+3

Obviously.

Dominion: Blue Dog

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2014, 03:33:40 pm »
+2

Obviously.

Dominion: Blue Dog

Sweet, if I play Ironworks can I get a free copy?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:50 pm »

Only if it costs less than $5.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.