Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: New expansion confirmed  (Read 45140 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: New expansion confirmed
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 08:24:38 pm »

The real reason I would want to know about them is to maybe make a difference for the final product. I learned my lesson about spoilers throung Netrunner.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »
+6

The real reason I would want to know about them is to maybe make a difference for the final product. I learned my lesson about spoilers throung Netrunner.

It's in good hands.  I made a lot of suggestions for fixes; for an example of how good they are, check out the art thread.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »
+7

Out of curiosity, is there an NDA, or is it more like

Scout's Honor
$0 - Action/Victory
Don't reveal anything.  Put the unrevealed cards out of mind in any order.
Well I'm Sicilian. On my father's side, so I could be "made." People tend to respect that.

If you do a search for Greed Vaccarino, as I have done for obvious reasons, you get http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/18/hunt-for-last-mafia-fugitive-matteo-messina-denaro-sicily

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »
+7

I just want to know who sent you the card info to playtest. Did Jay approach you? Donald X. V.?
I needed some playtesters. The old playtesters had scattered to the four winds. I did let them know about this amazing opportunity but many of them had their own lives now.

I wanted people who could playtest irl. So, they had to have Dominion and be that kind of person. And I wanted players who were good. And I didn't want to say, "so, who here is good and has the physical game?" It was obv. going to stay a secret until Jay announced it.

There was a recent thread for a tournament, where I could see how people did. And there was the Chicago meet-up thread, with some people saying, yes I'm coming and bringing Dominion. So I looked at who had done well in the tournament, who also could bring Dominion to Chicago. And I invited some of them to playtest.

Later, Doug programmed the set into isotropic (sorry, not trying to taunt anyone), so I also invited some players who were just good, who might have no ability to playtest irl. But for the first group, you somehow had to be willing to go to Chicago. It was just the data I had.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:39 pm »

And it'll be on Goko sometime in 2020.
I don't know yet if Jay will want it to come out on MakingFun at the same time as irl, or not. It will be up to him mostly, MakingFun are pretty likely to want it as soon as they can have it. The main reason Jay might not give it to them in time is that he sometimes is worried about leaks.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 08:43:35 pm »
+2

Darn, should have done better in GokoDom

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:41 pm »

Shoot. I did uncharacteristically well in GokoDom, but I couldn't go to the Chicago meetup. Ah well, I would've been a terrible playtester anyway, since I haven't had time to play IRL (or online, for that matter) in ages.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »
+1

I wasn't in that GokoDom, and was lucky enough to be grandfathered in through my playtesting of Prince. My main contribution has been complaining loudly and frequently about things I don't like. And sometimes suggesting changes. Oh, and creating card images that look like published Dominion cards, rather than like the prototypes you see in the Outtakes file.

As it turns out, I am no slouch at the game after all, and have been at least holding my own against some of the heavy hitters, like hey Mic Qsenoch (in case you were wondering when the hell he and I would have played a game together such that we were using my randomizer).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 09:55:43 pm »

I still don't get how you got an official unoffical test set of the cards? Was the chicago meetup that big?

I'm pretty excited though. I won't be buying physical copies since I hardly use all the physical cards I have now, but I'll totally buy it on goko when I'm 50.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 10:04:19 pm »

Given I live in Chicago, I am now really sad I missed the meetup.  :(

Next time!  ;)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 10:09:53 pm »

I still don't get how you got an official unoffical test set of the cards? Was the chicago meetup that big?

I'm pretty excited though. I won't be buying physical copies since I hardly use all the physical cards I have now, but I'll totally buy it on goko when I'm 50.
Hah, looks like the Chicago meet up eclipsed our Montreal meet up even more than we though, eh?

Will the Chicago attendees get credited for playtesting once the expansion comes out?

You know what, I'm somehow glad that we'll likely have the next Qvist ranking before the expansion comes out.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 10:12:17 pm »

Hah, looks like the Chicago meet up eclipsed our Montreal meet up even more than we though, eh?

Will the Chicago attendees get credited for playtesting once the expansion comes out?

You know what, I'm somehow glad that we'll likely have the next Qvist ranking before the expansion comes out.

I doubt they would get credited... At some point you have to cut off the line, right?  Well, I'm not the boss of that.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »

I certainly wouldn't think so! My contributions consisted almost entirely of saying "this card is fun" or "this card isn't fun." Which is a thing to know, but really...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 10:37:30 pm »

I certainly wouldn't think so! My contributions consisted almost entirely of saying "this card is fun" or "this card isn't fun." Which is a thing to know, but really...

I'd think that's a pretty important thing to know. Sure people don't like junking attacks, but if a card is really just plain not fun I don't see why it needs to be included.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:06 pm »
+2

Let's put it this way - Donald hasn't asked me for my real name.  ;)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 11:00:24 pm »
+3

But seriously, realistically, I should not be getting excited right now.

We might learn the title in January.
Which would mean we'd might learn the theme of the set in March.
Which would mean we'd might see the cover of the box in May.
Which would mean we'd might see the previews in August.
Which would mean we'd finally get to purchase the expansion in September.

It seems rather counterproductive to get hyped for something I'm not even really going to know anything about, let alone play, for almost another year.

My biggest regret about playtesting is that I won't be surprised about the previews.

The rare benefits of terrible long-term memory!  :D
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 11:31:05 pm »
+8

Later, Doug programmed the set into isotropic (sorry, not trying to taunt anyone)
Of course you're not trying but it still stings just as bad.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 12:04:57 am »
+2

We did not "get" a test set of cards. We printed them, cut them, and sleeved them over actual Dominion cards. It was very ink-intensive, especially when using official-looking card images.

It wasn't the meetup itself that got the test set. Some of us who had the set (myself, jsh357, AdamH) went to the meetup and brought our copies.

Cas Liber

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:58 am »
+1

One thing I recommend is making the background colour of the box not like one of the ones already released. We still use the original boxes and it does mean I occasionally grab prosperity instead of hinterlands or base box instead of intrigue.....

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 12:47:51 am »

Sure, but the important part is that we know that there actually will be an expansion! That's all that matters. And personally I like how the dominion expansions are spread out over many years, it lets us enjoy them more. If they had all been released in 2008 we might not still be talking about dominion anymore.

If they'd all been released in 2008, half of them would be Scout.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 01:04:02 am »
+11

So now I have to figure out what to be more jealous of: That some people have gotten to playtest the new expansion, or that some people have gotten to play Dominion on Isotropic again!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 01:10:50 am »
+4

I just want to know who sent you the card info to playtest. Did Jay approach you? Donald X. V.?
So I looked at who had done well in the tournament, who also could bring Dominion to Chicago.

The spirit was willing but the wallet was weak...
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:44 am »
+1

You don't need only good players to playtest cards, maybe you want to, you know, have some more intermediate players (it is a complete coincidence that I'm an intermediate player...), uh, playtest too, for, uh, er, a, different, standpoint, or something...? ::)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:09 am »
+4

You don't need only good players to playtest cards, maybe you want to, you know, have some more intermediate players (it is a complete coincidence that I'm an intermediate player...), uh, playtest too, for, uh, er, a, different, standpoint, or something...? ::)

And I need early knowledge of the upcoming cards so that I can properly prep one-off memes for them in advance.  ;)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:56 am »
+2

So now I have to figure out what to be more jealous of: That some people have gotten to playtest the new expansion, or that some people have gotten to play Dominion on Isotropic again!
For me, the latter. One day, I will be able to play the new expansion. I will never get to play Isotropic Dominion again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.