Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Author Topic: silverspawn's card list  (Read 62765 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: silverspawn's card list
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:45 am »
+3

I don't believe the chance of missing $3P is usually a factor when skipping Familiar.
It's hard to know optimal play, but I take it into consideration. From memory, the chance of missing $3P on T3/T4 is something like 30%. If I see a strategy that's way ahead if my opponent misses $3P and a little behind if they don't, then it's a decent choice to skip Familiar, and it wouldn't be if Familiar cost $2P. This comes up if you're trying to outrace the curses with trashing. If the Familiar player gets optimum draws, you may be swamped with curses before you can get your deck under control.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2014, 01:54:23 am »

I don't believe the chance of missing $3P is usually a factor when skipping Familiar.
It's hard to know optimal play, but I take it into consideration. From memory, the chance of missing $3P on T3/T4 is something like 30%. If I see a strategy that's way ahead if my opponent misses $3P and a little behind if they don't, then it's a decent choice to skip Familiar, and it wouldn't be if Familiar cost $2P. This comes up if you're trying to outrace the curses with trashing. If the Familiar player gets optimum draws, you may be swamped with curses before you can get your deck under control.

Fair enough. I don't think it would usually make a difference, but this is all speculation unless we get a lot of high level testing.

And I am just fine with Familiar as is anyway.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2014, 02:08:39 am »
+2

I like the fact that Familiar costs $3P. It's swingy, but there's also a lot of non-trivial decisions involved with the opening, since you can maximize the odds of getting Familiar, or you can open Potion and something that doesn't maximize the odds but is more useful later, or you can ignore Familiar entirely. I think that ThaddeusB is overestimating the number of games where opening Potion/X becomes a simple decision just because of lowering the price by $1, but the effect is still there, and more importantly, it's now obvious that you open Potion/whatever is the most useful later every time because you can very reliably hit $2P even if you open something like Lookout/Potion, and opening something like Storeroom/Potion becomes completely useless.

I think that Alchemist should possibly be $2P though, because getting it super early isn't as important as getting Familiar super early, it's just annoying when it doesn't happen.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2014, 04:55:52 am »

To me, if Familiar is unskippable at 2P 95% of the time and at 3P just 80% of the time, then 3P is the better price.
That is a good reason, if it's true. I don't think it is, I think it's very rare that it makes a difference, but I can't prove it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02:53 am »

Silver is possibly the least skippable card in the game, and yet there are plenty of decisions left after you buy it. Same happens with both Potion and Familiar.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2014, 07:31:08 am »

Silver is possibly the least skippable card in the game
What?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2014, 07:43:57 am »
+1

Silver is possibly the least skippable card in the game
What?

The fact that it is the one you most want to skip does not mean you can skip it. Usually, you need to buy at least one.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2014, 08:14:29 am »
+2

I don't think I would ever skip me

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2014, 08:25:42 am »
+5

To me, if Familiar is unskippable at 2P 95% of the time and at 3P just 80% of the time, then 3P is the better price.
That is a good reason, if it's true. I don't think it is, I think it's very rare that it makes a difference, but I can't prove it.

Please. PLEASE use the quote button!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.