Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possessed Prince of Urchins  (Read 2215 times)

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
Possessed Prince of Urchins
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:19:30 pm »
+2

I have Princed an Urchin. My opponent Possesses me and on the Possessed turn plays the Princed Urchin and another attack card and chooses to trash my Urchin.
Possession states that Urchin will be returned to my discard. Is Prince then able to set aside the Urchin again or is it lost to the Prince and stays in my discard?
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Possessed Prince of Urchins
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »
+2

My guess would be that it won't be set aside again and stays in the discard, but I don't really know. Possession isn't nice at all.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:29 pm »
+10

I'm with liopoil.  I think it would be lost.

Possessed turn:

Urchin played via Prince.

Attack card played, trigger Urchin's power.  Urchin gets trashed, Mercenary is gained.

Due to Possession, the possessing player gains the Mercenary instead and the Urchin is set aside.

At the end of the turn, Possession specifies that the set aside Urchin goes to the discard pile.

Prince tells you to set aside the princed card when you discard it from play, which is not happening here.  The Urchin is not being discarded, just moving to the discard pile.  It's also going there from a "set aside" location, not from play. 

I think that Prince loses track of the Urchin as soon as it's trashed, actually.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 04:40:26 am »

I think that Prince loses track of the Urchin as soon as it's trashed, actually.

I think so too.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:04 pm »
+1

Same deal when Princed Sir Martin trashes another knight.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »
+4

Actually lose track isn't even needed here. Prince says "when you discard it from play." A card that self-trashes, whether it was Urchin, Sir Martin, or just Feast, is never discarded from play. Even if it was trashed on a Possession turn, it is never discarded, and definitely never discarded from play. The trashed card is set aside, and then "returned to his discard pile." As we know from Chancellor/Tunnel, moving a card to the discard pile is NOT the same as "discarding" it. And even if it were being discarded, it's not from play, it's from the set-aside place.

So this is not a lose-track issue; it never even gets to the point where it tries to set it aside but fails due to lose-track. "When discarded from play" is never triggered.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:05:59 pm »
+8

I love the thread title.  It shows how crazy dominion can get.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:06:55 pm »

Actually lose track isn't even needed here. Prince says "when you discard it from play." A card that self-trashes, whether it was Urchin, Sir Martin, or just Feast, is never discarded from play. Even if it was trashed on a Possession turn, it is never discarded, and definitely never discarded from play. The trashed card is set aside, and then "returned to his discard pile." As we know from Chancellor/Tunnel, moving a card to the discard pile is NOT the same as "discarding" it. And even if it were being discarded, it's not from play, it's from the set-aside place.

So this is not a lose-track issue; it never even gets to the point where it tries to set it aside but fails due to lose-track. "When discarded from play" is never triggered.

Yup, I went over all that in my rationale too.  Gotta keep those bases covered.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.