Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trader/Steward opening  (Read 1797 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Trader/Steward opening
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:07:52 pm »

Just wanted to comment on a cool synergy I noticed in a game I just played. My opponent had a 2/5 opening with Witch on the board, so I opened Trader/Steward for defense and trashing. Ordinarily I don't like to open two terminals in case they collide—and in this case indeed they did collide, but this is an okay terminal clash. Ordinarily a Turn 3 where you use Steward to trash is more or less shot as far as buying is concerned, but in this case I was able to trash two cards and then buy a copper and Trader it for a silver. So Trader/Steward made for a pretty nice opening (well, especially when my opponent's first Witch play matched with my Trader in hand as well).

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Trader/Steward opening
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:29 pm »

Trader and Steward pretty much antisynergize apart from when you manage to get them to collide because
  • In a deck flooded with silver, it's harder to match up two bad cards to trash with the Steward
  • In a deck flooded with silver, it's harder to match up Trader and Steward to get the combo off
  • Trashing estates with Steward means less silver you otherwise would've gained by using Trader to trash.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:15 am »

That's true. It probably took my opponent's Witch opening to make this a worthwhile opening for me.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:55:37 am »

But what if you were trashing Coppers (not Estates) with Steward, then using it for +2 Cards later on?

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:35:43 am »

But what if you were trashing Coppers (not Estates) with Steward, then using it for +2 Cards later on?

Point 1 still holds, in that it's much harder to be able to trash 2 Coppers because you're much less likely to draw them together with the Steward with the Silver in the deck. Point 2 only sometimes holds, because you're probably going to have 2 silver left in hand after trashing, which is enough for another silver, same as the combo. Point 3 doesn't hold anymore but you're either not going to be able to trash effectively or not have a lot of silver. If you don't have a lot of silver, your Trader's been useless whereas if you can't trash with Steward, it becomes a Moat or terminal Silver, neither of which are amazing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.