Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: From a FTF game with my daughter  (Read 1679 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
From a FTF game with my daughter
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:36:52 am »

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Hamlet, Shanty Town, Trade Route, Gardens, Navigator, Island, Mint, Venture, Nobles, Platinum, Colony
We both opened 5/2 and for some reason my daughter was shy to open Mint so she picked Navigator. I opened Mint/Hamlet.

In the course of the game I tried to empty Hamlet, Nobles, and Poor House but turned out to have threepiled on Venture instead of Poor House. I bought no other trasher after the initial Mint purchase. Bought two Platinum and three Colonies during the game but later in the game chose Nobles over Platinum. Game ended 45:31 in my favour.

What would you have opened on 5/2? on 4/3?

Also, how do I make the card art display?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:40:49 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: From a FTF game with my daughter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:47:06 am »

I really like the mint/hamlet on the 5/2 because you can pick up poor houses for money.  I probably wouldn't get any other source of money except poor houses.  t3/t4 would probably be poor house/poor house to get the economy rolling.  There are plenty of villages and you should have no problem getting 3 in play to buy a colony.  I might pick up trade route or an island or two, but that would depend on what I drew turn 5+

On a 4/3 I am not as sure.  Probably silver/shanty town.  Probably going for a money strategy and ignoring poor house completely. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:51:23 am »

Thanks! I bought a Venture to give the Mint something to do but that interfered with the Poor House strategy. So while I started off with your idea, I switched horses during the race as I saw that the string of Ventures would reliably get me Platinums. Don't know if that was a good idea.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »

I think on 5/2 Mint/Poor House looks awfully tempting! Then you have to pick between poor houses and venture ultimately. That is, if you go venture, don't get anymore poor houses. If you go poor houses, try not to get any more treasure. I would probably go for the poor houses, but it's not super obvious to me. Nobles for draw. Either way you go, probably at least one Shanty Town.

Regarding your original gameplan, I don't think the focus should be on emptying three piles -- you should be able to build fast enough to just go for Colonies. There are no attacks slowing you down. I would probably want some of the trashing from Trade Route and/or Island. Even if you go Venture, getting those last two coppers out can provide extra consistency.

On 3/4.... hmmmm. Minting out those coppers is such a big deal.... Silver/Shanty Town? Go for the Mint on a Shanty Town draw?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »

Shanty Town / Hamlet / Poor House looks like a great thing if you open 5/2. I would even go for double Colony turns on a non-mirror (on a mirror, piles will run low really fast, so you probably want the points and the pile control ASAP). For 4/3, I think you want the same. I would probably open ST/Navigator. Silver is HORRIBLE in a Poor House deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.