Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Which expansion is underpowered? Overpowered? An analysis of Qvist's rankings  (Read 36506 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile

Still, according to the ranking and discussion in other threads, Bank and Forge seem rather average: most of the time they are inferior to gold, but sometimes they get to shine.
You never want Gold instead of Bank. Okay, maybe sometimes you do, but it is very rare for Bank to be worse than Gold. It's not a lot better than Gold usually, but it's slightly better.

And Forge shines pretty often. It's worse than Count which is worse than Chapel, but it's better than Mint, and sometimes Count and Chapel aren't in the kingdom (actually that's usually the case) and no other card trashes your deck as efficiently as these four do unless you get very lucky with Doctor.

Agreed, Bank is almost never worse than Gold, and is usually better.

It's worse in a junked deck or a trimmed engine where you get at most 2 treasures in play.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

Still, according to the ranking and discussion in other threads, Bank and Forge seem rather average: most of the time they are inferior to gold, but sometimes they get to shine.
You never want Gold instead of Bank. Okay, maybe sometimes you do, but it is very rare for Bank to be worse than Gold. It's not a lot better than Gold usually, but it's slightly better.

And Forge shines pretty often. It's worse than Count which is worse than Chapel, but it's better than Mint, and sometimes Count and Chapel aren't in the kingdom (actually that's usually the case) and no other card trashes your deck as efficiently as these four do unless you get very lucky with Doctor.

It's worse in a junked deck or a trimmed engine where you get at most 2 treasures in play.

I suggest that you try building a trimmed engine where you would want a Gold and can get at most 2 treasures in play and see how many Provinces you can buy with that deck.

The only situations where Gold is significantly better than Bank are when you want to buy a $5 card and your cards are Silver, Gold/Bank and 3 unusable cards, and when Gold/Bank is your only card. In every other situation you're probably getting the card you want anyway. And those situations are extremely rare. Every time you could buy a Province with a Gold, you can also buy one with a Bank, and there are actually relevant times when you can buy a Province with a Bank, but not with a Gold even in big money decks (4 Coppers and Gold/Bank, two Coppers, one Silver and Gold/Bank mostly).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile

Every time you could buy a Province with a Gold, you can also buy one with a Bank

That's just false. Three Banks do not buy Province and replacing any positive number of them by Golds do. Also, Platinum+Gold buys Province and Platinum+Bank does not.

EDIT: There are a lot more cases, but I am assuming you are restricting yourself to the case where all your money comes from Treasures.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile

I suggest that you try building a trimmed engine where you would want a Gold and can get at most 2 treasures in play and see how many Provinces you can buy with that deck.

The only situations where Gold is significantly better than Bank are when you want to buy a $5 card and your cards are Silver, Gold/Bank and 3 unusable cards, and when Gold/Bank is your only card. In every other situation you're probably getting the card you want anyway. And those situations are extremely rare. Every time you could buy a Province with a Gold, you can also buy one with a Bank, and there are actually relevant times when you can buy a Province with a Bank, but not with a Gold even in big money decks (4 Coppers and Gold/Bank, two Coppers, one Silver and Gold/Bank mostly).

I'm not an excellent player so that would probably fail. Situations where Bank is better are there, and they are numerous enough for me to say the card is not awful. I never claimed that. I just stated cases where obviously you will lack the treasures in hand to make best use of it. An engine where it happens will likely not be something you necessarily want to do, but i believe there are such engines where adding a Gold or two is the most reasonable way of adding money. And if it's just because while drawing a lot of cards you lack Villages and nonterminal virtual money.

Also the most trivial advantage of Gold is that it's cheaper. I won't buy Gold over Bank for 7$ most of the time, of course. But the increase in use is not as great as the increase in cost as far as i'm concerned.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile

There have been so many games I played what bank was better than platinum even

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile

There have been so many games I played what bank was better than platinum even

Apothecary will usually make this happen. And any other good drawing engine without trashing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.126 seconds with 21 queries.