Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  All

Author Topic: Music talk  (Read 92590 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: Music talk
« Reply #225 on: December 23, 2016, 08:34:58 am »

by the way, what's up with that title?  :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2016, 09:31:22 am »
+2

by the way, what's up with that title?  :P

Just commentary on the whole "dynamic range day" thing, which is basically a music production equivalent of all these movements where a guy says something and then everyone just sort of believes that guy even though common sense would tell you that he's not entirely correct, just because holding the same opinion as that particular guy is cool. It has even gotten up to the point where platforms such as Spotify and YouTube automatically reduce the volume of songs that don't have much dynamic range (although Spotify lets you turn that feature off in the settings), and it's ridiculous.

Basically, there is a belief held by some that dynamic music would sound better than loud music but mastering engineers who work on commercial productions will master their albums louder so that they'd stand out more, and that this is a bad thing. However, if you actually look at the list of albums and their dynamic ranges and sort it by dynamic range, you'll find out that the absolute worst "offenders" on that list are all kinds of noise albums which are supposed to sound very distorted, and then you get a long list of EDM and metal albums which are supposed to sound loud, not a list of the most commercial pop music. Obviously, the reason for this is that these genres just sound better when they don't have much of a dynamic range, but this gets largely ignored by people who buy into the dynamic range appreciation narrative, and then you get producers and other people complaining about the lack of dynamic range in metal or EDM, and whenever you listen to those genres on YouTube, you need to turn the volume up.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:34 am »

I tentatively sympathize with that position, mostly based on having a friend tell me that Gangrene (Mirrorthrone album) is bad because of a low Dynamic Range.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2016, 11:26:16 am »

I tentatively sympathize with that position, mostly based on having a friend tell me that Gangrene (Mirrorthrone album) is bad because of a low Dynamic Range.

It's not even that low (although it's certainly low enough to get told that it's low — according to the Dynamic Range Day website, a dynamic range should be roughly twice as high to not be horrible), it's higher than most of my stuff.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:27:28 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2016, 10:51:44 am »

What are everyone's favorite releases of 2016? I have a top 3:

#1: The Violent Sleep of Reason by Meshuggah

#2: Jumalten Aika by Moonsorrow

#3: Metsutan - Songs of the Void by Whispered

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2016, 11:32:14 am »

Sure!

I like Moonsorrow's second last album more than anything of the last two years (even Namidae), but the most recent one still didn't get better, so it's not on here.

#3 Insomnium - Winter's Gate
Though nothing on here is as good as the title track of In the Halls of Awaiting, as a whole listen, this is probably their best album. One 40+ minute song. The lyrics aren't nearly as poetic as they were way back, but they've been getting worse with their last 2 albums, and this is definitely breaking the trend, which is nice and rare. I love part 3.

Can't find it on youtube. Probably banned in Germany.

#2 Tarja – The Shadow Self
Her last album was not good, and I didn't expect her to ever release another good album after it, but she did! So much energy particularly in the middle of the album, where on the last one it felt tired and repetitive.

#1 Cobalt – Slow Forever
Very dark. Very metal. I'd call this controlled aggression. Gets first place for the interlude + title track on the second disc. So much emotion in here. I also largely endorse the message on writing.

starts at 01:06:15

Hnorable mention to Affinity from Haken. Listen to The Architect, super well written track that gets better on every listen, enormous replayability (rest of the album is whatever). Also Alcest's Kodama for being all-around pretty and enjoyable (also quite accessible), and Awaclus' album for The Visitor.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2017, 09:55:47 pm »

I liked this song so much I just had to remix it, and I wanted to get into trap production so this happened.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2017, 06:29:56 am »

This is another pretty long project of mint. I started planning on making this in 2014, I started actually working on it in 2015, and now it's finally done. I didn't spend that many hours on it though, I just had very long breaks in between. As a side note, it was incredibly difficult to find a kagura suzu sample anywhere (hell, it was pretty difficult to figure out what the instrument was even called in the first place, since the only thing I knew about it was the sound it makes), but I ultimately managed to find a low quality sample by searching for it in Chinese and make it sound pretty okay in the mix.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:36:35 am by Awaclus »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2017, 02:17:52 pm »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2017, 06:07:26 pm »

I tried to make some epic cinematic music.

That coin symbol was a misclick but I thought it was funny so I left it there.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2017, 01:19:51 pm »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2017, 01:25:14 pm »

Months later, The Visitor is still one of my favorite songs. And the rest of the album is also quite pleasant. I don't  really have other music which sounds like that, so it's a nice thing to return to.

Do you have another album scheduled?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2017, 01:44:30 pm »

Months later, The Visitor is still one of my favorite songs. And the rest of the album is also quite pleasant. I don't  really have other music which sounds like that, so it's a nice thing to return to.

Do you have another album scheduled?

Currently, we have one full-length album and a 25-minute single-track EP in our "production queue", so to speak, and we have the music written for 11 other future albums but we haven't decided on the order in which to release them, yet.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2017, 04:19:51 pm »

Oh, wow. I was going to say make more songs that have weird out-of-left-field shifts in the middle but I guess that ship has sailed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2017, 06:50:05 pm »

This is actually a slightly older production of mine, but since it was a collab project with HetaVocaCore (who was responsible for the animation), it only got released just now.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »

This, on the other hand, is a brand new production of mine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »

Tracktion 6 has now been released for free, which is pretty neat if you're looking for a DAW.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2017, 04:24:27 pm »

Does anyone have recommendations for new age artists that go for a somewhat darker sound than the "relaxing yoga mix" stuff I can find on YouTube? I know of Era and Kalafina.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2017, 09:18:41 am »

I made another collab with SEiMEi.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »

New Kauan is astonishing. So far I'm thinking it's about as good as Sorni Nai, which says quite a bit.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2017, 01:22:55 pm »

If it had female cleans instead of male cleans I might like it as much as you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2017, 01:23:53 pm »

If it had female cleans instead of male cleans I might like it as much as you.

It has female cleans.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2017, 03:07:24 pm »

I know but not primarily.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »

Here's the first single from our upcoming album.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »

And here's the second single:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.