Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Music talk  (Read 92610 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Music talk
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2016, 09:37:29 pm »

An unfinished part demo of one of my songs on the album I'm making.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/681401
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2016, 04:14:55 am »

An unfinished part demo of one of my songs on the album I'm making.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/681401

The song is decent, but the drums sound pretty dead, especially the snare and the hats. Boosting the fundamental tone of the snare would already help a lot, and for the hats, I'm not sure if you want them to sound electronic or realistic so I can't suggest any ideas, but I think that doing something about them would be pretty good.

Also, the song could afford being a lot louder. That would also help with making the drums fit in better.

Some of the synths (the ones that aren't just pretty much saw waves) sound pretty cool. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with saw waves either, they just aren't quite as interesting, which is fine if that's how they're supposed to be.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2016, 01:34:40 pm »

What's wrong with the snare? What's a fundamental tone? Does it sound flat? It could be overcompressed then? I like to make my drums nice and loud, and I may have overcompressed them as a result. I also used the same extreme compression setting for the hi-hats, so it would also sound very flat. I'm going to add more instruments to this and sing to it, and I'll have to make it louder, though it's already at almost -10 RMS, which is just going to sound really broken and distorted the higher I go. I dunno.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:17:58 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2016, 02:48:23 am »

What's wrong with the snare? What's a fundamental tone? Does it sound flat? It could be overcompressed then? I like to make my drums nice and loud, and I may have overcompressed them as a result. I also used the same extreme compression setting for the hi-hats, so it would also sound very flat. I'm going to add more instruments to this and sing to it, and I'll have to make it louder, though it's already at almost -10 RMS, which is just going to sound really broken and distorted the higher I go. I dunno.

Fundamental tone is the base harmonic of the sound. For instance, if you play an A4, the fundamental tone is 440Hz. For snare drums, the fundamental tone is usually around 200Hz although it could be lower or higher depending on the tuning of the drum. I don't think there's anything wrong with the compression, just the EQ with the snare and I guess the arrangement with the hats, in electronic music you would usually have a faster rhythm with a few different samples with some more reverb and (sometimes very audible) side chain compression with the kick and the snare to make it sound more interesting, and with a real drummer playing the hi-hat, he would be playing the downbeat with his arm and the upbeat with his wrist (or the downbeat with his wrist and the upbeat with his fingers in faster tempos), which makes the downbeat stronger and the sound slightly different because the drumstick hits the cymbals from a different angle, which would also make it sound more interesting.

I usually go for something between -2 and -6 RMS, depending on how fast the drums are (slower drums -> louder track). Misanthropy, for instance, was at around -4 most of the time, but it was actually louder than -2 during some of the electronic parts.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2016, 11:20:00 am »

Either this week or next I will listen to everything everyone has posted here starting with Awaclus's album. Because I would feel REALLY guilty about posting here otherwise.

In the meantime, stuff I've been doing:
Remix of Armenia's Eurovision song (here's the original for reference)
Soundtrack to a friend's short animated film (which I'll post here when she makes the video public)
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2016, 12:47:01 pm »

Remix of Armenia's Eurovision song

Is this available for streaming anywhere? That site has three buttons, and they all look a lot like the kind of buttons that I don't really want to click.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2016, 01:11:08 pm »

Remix of Armenia's Eurovision song

Is this available for streaming anywhere? That site has three buttons, and they all look a lot like the kind of buttons that I don't really want to click.

The blue rectangular download button is the one you want. I'm gonna put it on YouTube at some point.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »

At least it's slightly better than the original for sure, but it sounds pretty much the same except for the drums.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2016, 02:40:01 pm »

At least it's slightly better than the original for sure, but it sounds pretty much the same except for the drums.

That was kinda my intention. I thought the original sounded like someone deleted the drum and bass track, so I "put it back in". It's not exactly a remix I guess, but to me it makes the song way more listenable.

Edit: The YouTube upload finished!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:19:53 pm by Elanchana »

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2016, 03:42:26 pm »

I thought the original sounded like someone deleted the drum and bass track

Here's a drum 'n' bass track!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40:09 pm »

And here's a hardstyle track!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2016, 04:56:59 pm »
+1

I like your logo. I don't like the remix. But I'm a lost cause when it comes to remixes most of the time. It just sounds like effects and stuff more an not like "real" music.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2016, 05:06:06 pm »

I like your logo. I don't like the remix. But I'm a lost cause when it comes to remixes most of the time. It just sounds like effects and stuff more an not like "real" music.

Do you like hardstyle in general?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2016, 05:08:56 pm »

Don't know that genre tbh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2016, 05:09:15 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »

mixed. I liked e.g. the hanging tree song (that's from the hunger game movie btw in case you don't know) in the instrumental parts. the vocal parts are irks.  I can't stand singing that sounds... well, artificial.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2016, 05:36:41 pm »

mixed. I liked e.g. the hanging tree song (that's from the hunger game movie btw in case you don't know) in the instrumental parts. the vocal parts are irks.  I can't stand singing that sounds... well, artificial.

??? How can you like some songs, but not the others? They're all basically the same song (which is not to say that hardstyle producers are unimaginative, but that the hardstyle scene is puritanical enough that all the songs need to sound exactly the same or they suck).

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:01 pm »

??? How can you like some songs, but not the others? They're all basically the same song (which is not to say that hardstyle producers are unimaginative, but that the hardstyle scene is puritanical enough that all the songs need to sound exactly the same or they suck).

SS didn't like the vocal bits, and he was commentating on only one song.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2016, 06:14:58 pm »

... yes, and that's also not true. Isn't that like saying all hip hop is the same, or, for a genre I know a bit better, all melo death metal? Surely there's much less variety than in e.g. prog, but they're not all the same. You can like somehting purely based on the melodies.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2016, 06:37:21 pm »

... yes, and that's also not true. Isn't that like saying all hip hop is the same, or, for a genre I know a bit better, all melo death metal? Surely there's much less variety than in e.g. prog, but they're not all the same. You can like somehting purely based on the melodies.

It's not even close. Like, if you show a hip hop fan two songs that you think sound similar to prove your point that all hip hop is the same, he's going to show you something wildly different. If you show a hardstyle fan two songs that you think sound similar, he's going to tell you that one of them is not real hardstyle.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2016, 07:15:13 pm »

Well I can't really judge that so maybe you're right  :P

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2016, 07:17:35 pm »

I don't think all hip hop is the same btw, I think more that there is a lot of hip hop which is irritatingly similar (and pretty shitty) but then also plenty of stuff that's different. Same is true for metalcore.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2016, 07:25:16 pm »

Most of rap is total shit, mainly because it's repetitive and the lyrics are boring and cliche.

I follow iZotope regularly, so here's something for some music enthusiasts who maybe want to get better at music production, like me:
HERE

It's pretty basic stuff, but of course, having taken no classes ever and being totally self-taught, I've found use in this stuff so far.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2016, 07:32:50 pm »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying that it's a thing. It certainly makes it very interesting and fun to produce, because getting that meticulously distorted kick drum just right is far from trivial (I spent like 5 full days working on that kick drum sound and the rest of the remix came together in a couple of hours, to give you some idea, and I bet that more experienced producers take even longer to design the kick drum sound).

Most of rap is total shit, mainly because it's repetitive and the lyrics are boring and cliche.

Rap is a vocal technique. Saying that most of rap is total shit is like saying that most of vibrato is total shit.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2016, 07:01:46 am »
+1

Rap is a vocal technique. Saying that most of rap is total shit is like saying that most of vibrato is total shit.

Rap is also a genre, so I disagree.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.