Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Music talk  (Read 92613 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: Music talk
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2016, 01:38:40 pm »

When I get time I'll give you a review as well - I've been crazy busy for a while.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »

There are a couple of things you'd have to do to make it work. You'd have to download SoundFlower, get it set up (I forgot how specifically, so I'll look into it and again, I'm doing this very same task today so I'll post how I did it shortly afterwards), and then I THINK you'd have to connect Logic into SoundFlower, chaining it into OBS and your headphones simultaneously. Don't hold me to that. I'd much rather not use SoundFlower and use nothing but OBS. I think it also lowers the volume and one time there was an issue with delay in sound, though I fixed that some time ago, so yes it's a complete annoying pain but I should be able to get it to work.

Well, there is the problem that I'm not using a Mac so I don't have access to SoundFlower. I could do it with Voicemeeter Banana (and there are some other alternatives too), but it introduces a lot of latency because it has to use non-ASIO drivers either for the input or the output, and I don't want to do that. I could also do it with just hardware routing, but then the audio would be in mono. I'm not sure if the audio being in mono would be hugely detrimental though, and I could still record everything in stereo and post that on YouTube later or something.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2016, 04:02:22 pm »

There are a couple of things you'd have to do to make it work. You'd have to download SoundFlower, get it set up (I forgot how specifically, so I'll look into it and again, I'm doing this very same task today so I'll post how I did it shortly afterwards), and then I THINK you'd have to connect Logic into SoundFlower, chaining it into OBS and your headphones simultaneously. Don't hold me to that. I'd much rather not use SoundFlower and use nothing but OBS. I think it also lowers the volume and one time there was an issue with delay in sound, though I fixed that some time ago, so yes it's a complete annoying pain but I should be able to get it to work.

Well, there is the problem that I'm not using a Mac so I don't have access to SoundFlower. I could do it with Voicemeeter Banana (and there are some other alternatives too), but it introduces a lot of latency because it has to use non-ASIO drivers either for the input or the output, and I don't want to do that. I could also do it with just hardware routing, but then the audio would be in mono. I'm not sure if the audio being in mono would be hugely detrimental though, and I could still record everything in stereo and post that on YouTube later or something.

I'm leaning towards recording and uploading to YouTube now anyways. The quality will be way better anyways, and I have a 1 TB 7,200rpm external hard drive to export to. Sure, no one gets to watch live, but who is going to watch anyways? Like 1 person?

Soundflower is total crap, it makes the audio sound 10000% worse.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:03:35 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2016, 01:05:57 am »
+2

Going live in a minute (with the audio being in mono): https://www.twitch.tv/awaclus_
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2016, 02:07:03 am »

Going live in a minute (with the audio being in mono): https://www.twitch.tv/awaclus_

Lol, it didn't capture any of the plugins inside Patcher. Which was most of them. Well, I guess that means I'm not going to upload it to YouTube then.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2016, 03:26:03 pm »
+1

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »

ok, so this isn't just for musicians? aight then

idk if we have any old-school industrial heads here, but they have a way of making me feel like a bad person for preferring early 90s Skinny Puppy to their older work.  Too Dark Park & Last Rights are both some of my personal fav albums of the whole decade.  my single fav track of theirs is from the 80s tho:

a lot of their lyrics are drug-fueled stream-of-consciousness and this is the absolute pinnacle of that, in my view.  i even took the name of my blog from it

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2016, 05:39:44 pm »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:19 pm »

https://soundcloud.com/seprix/dreaming-of-adventure

I made this. What genre would you put this in? I have no idea.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2016, 08:46:42 pm »

New Moonsorrow kicks all the ass.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2016, 08:49:11 pm »

I liked the last one better. Apparently that's their least liked album though, even though it's their best. I'd say it seems on par with the ones before that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:36 pm »

I liked the last one better. Apparently that's their least liked album though, even though it's their best. I'd say it seems on par with the ones before that.

I'd say V: Hävitetty > Jumalten Aika > Verisäkeet >> Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa > Suden Uni >> Kivenkantaja >>> Voimasta Ja Kunniasta (which is still a very decent album). Jumalten Aika might move up or down exactly one spot when I get more familiar with it (moving down probably more likely).

VKKM would be super godlike, but Huuto kind of ruins it just a little bit.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2016, 09:01:23 pm »

that's hilarious because to me it's easily the best song in their entire discography.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2016, 09:14:29 pm »

that's hilarious because to me it's easily the best song in their entire discography.

Usually I like Moonsorrow (especially Verisäkeet and newer and also Suden Uni and older) because it's larger-than-life without being overly cheesy. Huuto has it the other way around, it's overly cheesy without being larger-than-life.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »

Usually I like Moonsorrow (especially Verisäkeet and newer and also Suden Uni and older) because it's larger-than-life without being overly cheesy. Huuto has it the other way around, it's overly cheesy without being larger-than-life.

I... guess I could see how you would call it cheesy, though I'd have said it's super emotional which is exactly what most of their albums lack. Do you man just the music or also the lyrics? Do you know what happens during the section of huuto?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:37 pm »

I... guess I could see how you would call it cheesy, though I'd have said it's super emotional which is exactly what most of their albums lack. Do you man just the music or also the lyrics? Do you know what happens during the section of huuto?

I just mean the music. The lyrics are fine, the last people start eating each other when they run out of other food and then the last guy kills everyone else in sudden rage, and later he regrets it and starts to have nightmares about it (wasn't there an English translation though?).

How do most of their albums lack emotion? They do have tons of emotion, it's just presented very crudely and rawly. Except on Kivenkantaja where it's just as cheesy as Huuto, but it's still better because the songs are more interesting.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2016, 09:36:33 pm »

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/674597

How does the mixing sound so far? I know there's no lead. I might sing to this, I might just make it instrumental, I'm not sure yet. I just want to know how you all think it sounds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2016, 05:54:18 am »
+1

How does the mixing sound so far? I know there's no lead. I might sing to this, I might just make it instrumental, I'm not sure yet. I just want to know how you all think it sounds.

Pretty good, I just think that everything should be more heavily side chain compressed with the kick because it sounds pretty aggressive sound design -wise, but in the mix it sounds a little weak.

As a side note, why do you have so many synths it takes a long time to decide on the perfect one? For a pretty long time, I just used Harmor or Sytrus for everything and I only very recently got Massive as well, and the choice is usually pretty trivial as that's one additive synthesizer, one FM synthesizer and one wavetable synthesizer so I just choose the appropriate synth for the type of synthesis I want to do (although all of them are really good at doing subtractive synthesis so that's a little bit difficult sometimes).

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2016, 11:28:59 am »

Pretty good, I just think that everything should be more heavily side chain compressed with the kick because it sounds pretty aggressive sound design -wise, but in the mix it sounds a little weak.

I just learned about sidechaining as a practical thing yesterday, so I will likely do that on the bass in order to thrust in the kick more.

As a side note, why do you have so many synths it takes a long time to decide on the perfect one? For a pretty long time, I just used Harmor or Sytrus for everything and I only very recently got Massive as well, and the choice is usually pretty trivial as that's one additive synthesizer, one FM synthesizer and one wavetable synthesizer so I just choose the appropriate synth for the type of synthesis I want to do (although all of them are really good at doing subtractive synthesis so that's a little bit difficult sometimes).

Well, I don't have a lot of synths at all. 99% of the synths I use are stock in Logic Pro X, such as the EXS 24 Sampler, the newly acquired Alchemy plug-in (Apple bought it), the ES2, the ES1 (never use that, it's a sucky version of ES2), the new Retro synth (which is nice, but still basically a simplified ES2 with some different stuff instead). I do have Iris 2 from iZotope, and pretty much all the plug-ins from iZotope, but that's about the only third party purchases I've ever made.

Why it's taking so long for me to find the 'right synth' is because I'm picky, the usual synths I usually use for leads don't really work, and I also have to put on the right reverbs and delays and all sorts of other stuff.

On another note, my album is doing great. I'm writing lyrics and I have a lot of songs to write lyrics to.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:30:24 am by Seprix »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2016, 12:51:07 pm »
+1

Well, I don't have a lot of synths at all. 99% of the synths I use are stock in Logic Pro X, such as the EXS 24 Sampler, the newly acquired Alchemy plug-in (Apple bought it), the ES2, the ES1 (never use that, it's a sucky version of ES2), the new Retro synth (which is nice, but still basically a simplified ES2 with some different stuff instead). I do have Iris 2 from iZotope, and pretty much all the plug-ins from iZotope, but that's about the only third party purchases I've ever made.

Well, that's a lot more than what I use. Sure, there are like 239842793847122343 different synths bundled with FL Studio as well, but for the most parts, I just pretend that the ones other than Harmor and Sytrus don't exist.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2016, 05:52:50 pm »

I made a new MMD music video. I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these because I also kind of want to receive feedback about the visuals as well, but then again, I do also want to receive feedback about the music. Even harsh criticism is welcomed, but please be... djentle.  8)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2016, 12:58:02 pm »

I made an original track for the Cymatics Savage Drums contest. It would be great if you could favorite it on SoundCloud since it would help me win, but either way, you can check it out if you feel like checking out some music. It's not super similar to what I usually do because I had to use samples from the Savage Drums for trap sample pack.

https://soundcloud.com/awaclus/homura-did-nothing-wrong

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2016, 06:35:25 pm »

Hey music people!  I'm not sure why I haven't posted here yet, I've been on these forums a while and I'm a musician.  Anyway, here's my Soundcloud, where you can find most of my music that's currently out in the wild.  There's a demo there fresh off the press, and some stuff going back to when I was in high school, so a real range.  And yes, that's my actual name, but I prefer going by Reggie.  So let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-rosenthal

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2016, 10:10:35 pm »

Hey music people!  I'm not sure why I haven't posted here yet, I've been on these forums a while and I'm a musician.  Anyway, here's my Soundcloud, where you can find most of my music that's currently out in the wild.  There's a demo there fresh off the press, and some stuff going back to when I was in high school, so a real range.  And yes, that's my actual name, but I prefer going by Reggie.  So let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-rosenthal

I'll give a listen later, but I'll inevitably forget and never give a listen at all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »

I'd say V: Hävitetty > Jumalten Aika > Verisäkeet >> Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa > Suden Uni >> Kivenkantaja >>> Voimasta Ja Kunniasta (which is still a very decent album). Jumalten Aika might move up or down exactly one spot when I get more familiar with it (moving down probably more likely).

I've gotten familiar enough with it now to say that it's more like roughly as good as V: Hävitetty. On one hand, none of the songs are quite as good as Jäästä Syntynyt / Varjojen Virta, but on the other, all of them are better than Tuleen Ajettu Maa.

In terms of pure songwriting though, Jumalten Aika might just actually be the best album (or equivalent) ever. These days, I hardly ever get impressed by any songwriting, pretty much the only artists that still manage to impress me with their songwriting are Moonsorrow and Kalafina, and this is definitely better-written than anything else by them. I don't remember having ever heard anything else reaching quite these levels of details and subtleties being absolutely everywhere, and the flow is very little short of perfection. The usage of modulations and irregular time signatures is also remarkably good.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12  All

Page created in 1.415 seconds with 22 queries.