Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Music talk  (Read 92605 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Music talk
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »
+1

Beta "Remix" of Elanchana's song 'Juno', and yes I know the vocals are off at parts

Hey, can I get you to add this link to the description? I'd like people to be able to hear the original if they want to.

Actually my C2C partner recorded his version of Juno but I don't know if he's posted it anywhere.

And... tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of that song and the blizzard that inspired it. *legasp*

Done. Don't know how I forgot that.
Seprix is online again? Great! Go mod your Lord of the Rings Mafia game!

Ah, I have forgotten about that. I'm still way too busy to be worrying about Mafia games right now, but thanks for the reminder!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2016, 12:33:30 am »

Here's my SoundCloud. Weirdness guaranteed.

https://soundcloud.com/pop-pop-29

I listened to some of Elanchana's stuff and they are really enjoyable, I will listen to more in my free time. Awesome thread :)

You don't allow PM's so I need to ask here. I'm looking for music for an animation and wanted to use a track. PM me if you still look at this forum.

For everyone else, if you have a dark track you're willing to let a university student use in an animation, let me know :P I'm looking for something with a steady beat, sounds dark, moody, and isn't too long. Something around 2mins maximum. If you have a track like this, or are willing to whip a composition, let me know. Naturally you'd get credit for your music. And if I do a good job, it might even get screened at a festival somewhere, sometime.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2016, 06:44:08 am »

For everyone else, if you have a dark track you're willing to let a university student use in an animation, let me know :P I'm looking for something with a steady beat, sounds dark, moody, and isn't too long. Something around 2mins maximum. If you have a track like this, or are willing to whip a composition, let me know. Naturally you'd get credit for your music. And if I do a good job, it might even get screened at a festival somewhere, sometime.

I could compose you one, but I'd need more details than that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2016, 11:06:46 am »

I could compose you one, but I'd need more details than that.

I'll work on making some sketches and PM them to you. I'm still figuring out what I want to do exactly. I'll let you know in the next few days.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »

Here's my SoundCloud. Weirdness guaranteed.

https://soundcloud.com/pop-pop-29

I listened to some of Elanchana's stuff and they are really enjoyable, I will listen to more in my free time. Awesome thread :)

You don't allow PM's so I need to ask here. I'm looking for music for an animation and wanted to use a track. PM me if you still look at this forum.

I can help musically as well, depends on what you want.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:21 am »

I'd love to help with the soundtrack, but I've got a few other projects going right now (including another animation soundtrack - for the person making Qui Domi). Looks like you're not without volunteers though.

As for me, I did a semiproduced video demo the other day
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »
+1

I tried making some actual dubstep. Also I like Parliament Funk's second buildup a lot so I did one of those here. Good times.

Fun fact: it's louder than Death Magnetic.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:22:46 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2016, 02:54:16 am »

Introducing The Setup... my full gear for doing my busking looper set hands-free~

Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2016, 07:04:34 pm »
+1

My band's upcoming album is almost ready to be released, and so I made a remix of one of the tracks as a teaser.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2016, 07:23:07 pm »

It sounds quite different (from your last album). Although I'm generally not fond of remixes, I almost always prefer the original version.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2016, 07:34:02 pm »

It sounds quite different (from your last album). Although I'm generally not fond of remixes, I almost always prefer the original version.

Thanks for the comment! Well, I didn't actually use any audio from the original song, just a couple of melodies, so it's not going to sound very much like this. Although it is also true that the actual album sounds somewhat different from our last album as well.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2016, 06:10:21 am »
+1

https://necrocannibalmachinery.bandcamp.com/album/misanthropy

And now the album is released. As usual, you can download it for free if you're interested.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »

In my first listen right now, halfway during the third track.

As far as songwriting goes, I'm already more impressed than with S/T. Much more interesting stuff is happening.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2016, 02:49:23 pm »

In my first listen right now, halfway during the third track.

As far as songwriting goes, I'm already more impressed than with S/T. Much more interesting stuff is happening.

Thanks!

with S/T

With what exactly, though? I don't think we have a self-titled album...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:51:25 pm by Awaclus »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »

err... right you don't. With the first album. for some reason I've been thinking of it as self titled.

I gotta say, the Visitor... woah. Never quite heard anything like it before.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »

I gotta say, the Visitor... woah. Never quite heard anything like it before.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »
+1

A good thing. Unique usually means interesting-- I could still grow to like it more or less with more listens, though.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »

I have no idea what your musical genre is (Awaclus), though I will find out when I get to listening to your album. Thoughts will be posted then.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »
+2

Reviewing Awaclus's new album Misanthropy: I really like Cheese Knife. Sounds nice, very relaxing, sounding nothing like the album art or the band name, and then...
F*** Your Dynamic Range, It scared me half to death, because Cheese Knife lulled me into security. Oh well.

I think the genre is metal? (I can recognize elements of EDM, so it's probably a mixture) This album in that sense is not something I can really rate, since I don't really listen to metal. What I can concentrate on much better is the composition of instruments and the mixing.

Combining metal and EDM is a clever idea. And wow, I just got to No Longer Human's chorus. That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard in music in quite some time. I like it though. Now noticing the kick, it sounds a bit flimsy and unnatural. With all of the compression going on and the cranking up to 11 though, something has to give. In fact, the drum tracks (at least in this song) is lacking in the high end. I think it could be sharper. The more I hear that bass/guitar groove, the more I'm liking it. Not sure if the guitar is real, it sounds like a virtual instrument sometimes, but then there's a distinct guitar sound to it sometimes too, not that it really matters. It sounds great.

The beginning of The Visitor is something I'm not sure about. It's very very cool, but it's too sharp. Perhaps tone down the EQ a bit? There's so much noise going on as I'm listening to the song. It doesn't sound well mixed, everything is bleeding into something else. I don't know how to describe it. You've been bit crushing the vocals sometimes, it's a cool idea. Girl in the Shell is probably my favorite song on this album. The riff is nice.

All in all, the album lacks just a bit in mixing. It sounds flat, perhaps it's too compressed. Not enough going on in the high end, though the low end doesn't seem to have much of an issue at all. The snare needs more snap, and though the kick has plenty of kick to it, it's also lacking something. I can't say what, but it just doesn't sound right to me. The guitars were mixed top notch and the bass was very well done. The vocals were not too loud or too soft, it was mixed well into the songs.

I would be very interested in knowing how you mixed your stuff there. Ignoring the few problems I mentioned, the album has this feel to it that would be cool to try and emulate, and I like learning new things and how people do things and whatnot.
What software do you use? Any 3rd part plug-ins? Any difficulties this album gave you in its creation? Did you create this album with anybody else? How long did it take? How would you rate this album in regards to your other works? What do you consider your best song ever? I could ask more questions upon more questions, but this post is getting long enough as it is.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:52:35 pm by Seprix »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/672163

It's not done, it's empty at parts, it has a stupid name, blah blah blah. Does it sound okay though? After this, I'm going to get set on working on an album. Big deal for me, I feel like I'm finally ready to try it now. I might even sing in it, I don't know yet. I'll have to see if I even sound good first. If not, I guess I'll go instrumental.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2016, 09:10:59 pm »
+1

Reviewing Awaclus's new album Misanthropy: I really like Cheese Knife. Sounds nice, very relaxing, sounding nothing like the album art or the band name, and then...
F*** Your Dynamic Range, It scared me half to death, because Cheese Knife lulled me into security. Oh well.

I think the genre is metal? (I can recognize elements of EDM, so it's probably a mixture) This album in that sense is not something I can really rate, since I don't really listen to metal. What I can concentrate on much better is the composition of instruments and the mixing.

Combining metal and EDM is a clever idea. And wow, I just got to No Longer Human's chorus. That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard in music in quite some time. I like it though. Now noticing the kick, it sounds a bit flimsy and unnatural. With all of the compression going on and the cranking up to 11 though, something has to give. In fact, the drum tracks (at least in this song) is lacking in the high end. I think it could be sharper. The more I hear that bass/guitar groove, the more I'm liking it. Not sure if the guitar is real, it sounds like a virtual instrument sometimes, but then there's a distinct guitar sound to it sometimes too, not that it really matters. It sounds great.

The beginning of The Visitor is something I'm not sure about. It's very very cool, but it's too sharp. Perhaps tone down the EQ a bit? There's so much noise going on as I'm listening to the song. It doesn't sound well mixed, everything is bleeding into something else. I don't know how to describe it. You've been bit crushing the vocals sometimes, it's a cool idea. Girl in the Shell is probably my favorite song on this album. The riff is nice.

All in all, the album lacks just a bit in mixing. It sounds flat, perhaps it's too compressed. Not enough going on in the high end, though the low end doesn't seem to have much of an issue at all. The snare needs more snap, and though the kick has plenty of kick to it, it's also lacking something. I can't say what, but it just doesn't sound right to me. The guitars were mixed top notch and the bass was very well done. The vocals were not too loud or too soft, it was mixed well into the songs.

I would be very interested in knowing how you mixed your stuff there. Ignoring the few problems I mentioned, the album has this feel to it that would be cool to try and emulate, and I like learning new things and how people do things and whatnot.
What software do you use? Any 3rd part plug-ins? Any difficulties this album gave you in its creation? Did you create this album with anybody else? How long did it take? How would you rate this album in regards to your other works? What do you consider your best song ever? I could ask more questions upon more questions, but this post is getting long enough as it is.

Wow, I really appreciate the effort you've put into this. The genre is metal, specifically avant-garde metal.

The kick drum in No Longer Human's chorus mostly consists of a sample I got from a free sample pack, which I believe is sampled from an old vinyl (or a similar lo-fi effect has been applied to it digitally), and it sounds like that on purpose because I was going for an old school jungle type of sound there. It might be true that the mix in general doesn't have as much high end; I was doing most of the mixing on my earphones which are super bass heavy because my headphones were being fixed, and I only got the headphones very late and everything suddenly sounded very bright so I toned it down to be on the safe side and perhaps I overdid it on this one. The guitar is Tommi's guitar (I don't know what model it is or what pickups he has) plugged directly into an audio interface, and then digital distortion pedal/amp/cabinet simulation is applied to it.

Yeah, the beginning of The Visitor kind of bothers me as well actually. I thought that it would get better in the mastering stage when it would get the bassy impact tail from No Longer Human's end underneath the whole high frequency business, and it did, but not as much as I was planning, but changing it at that point would have required much more work and it didn't sound completely hideous so I left it like that. I haven't actually bit crushed the vocals, they do have digital saturation and tape saturation simulation on them though, and they have it all the time. Getting more clarity in the mix is certainly something that I think need to improve at, and The Visitor is probably one of the songs that are the most damaged by this because there's so much different stuff going on at the same time and some of it is kind of problematic too (like the super low rap vocals on the verses). I'm not even 100% sure if it's my mixing technique or if I'm just not supposed to arrange songs to have so much stuff going on at the same time to begin with.

I don't think that metal or EDM can be too compressed (well, they can, but that threshold is super high for both). If it sounds too flat, then maybe it's just lacking in the high frequencies, or maybe there could be more volume automation to make it more interesting or maybe the arrangements should have been different. The snare was actually all kinds of problematic, because there are times when it needs to sound massive and other times when there's a blast beat and it needs to not ruin everything. Most of what I did at the very late stages of mixing was just tweaking the snare. I probably could have spent way more time trying out different settings to get it just right, but as it turns out, we wanted to release the album pretty soon so I didn't get to do that (and I'm also somewhat glad that I didn't have to).

What the kick is lacking is the airy mid frequencies you normally get when you place a microphone inside a kick drum and record it (well, perhaps something else as well, but that's at least something that I can point out). The reason for this is that I made the kick drum sound with FM synthesis and I didn't make it have those. They would make it sound more realistic, but not fit in a metal mix quite as well as the kick does now. Perhaps I could have also synthesized that airy sound and just have it very low on the mix.

I use FL Studio 12 and a ton of 3rd party plugins, e.g. the guitar amp sim plugins from LePou Plugins and Ignite Amps, the Variety Of Sound tape/tube saturation plugins, DSK Asian DreamZ, BitterSweet v3 (I forgot which developer makes it), the Valhalla reverbs, the RC 48 reverb, FabFilter Saturn, FabFilter Pro-L, and various Kong Audio instruments. Other than that, I just use the plugins that come with FL, because a lot of them are incredibly good, and not just good for stock plugins, but like, incredibly good, period, and obviously the fact that they are native plugins makes things a lot more convenient.

Yes, there were various difficulties, mostly with the guitar sound at first and then with the snare sound, and also just arranging recording sessions with the other band members was more difficult after I moved away, then there was the whole headphone issue which I already mentioned, and it always requires some optimization to get the CPU usage lower than 100, but mostly we just missed a bunch of deadlines that we had set for ourselves (which was fine because those were never made public) and things worked out with a little bit of extra time, and there was no single problem that would have caused a ton of frustration by itself and it was a way smoother experience all around than our previous album. I did create this album with the other band members, namely Isto "Juhan Rose Hellstιn" Merta (lead vocalist), Tommi Miettinen (guitarist), Antti "aiskould" Moilanen (bassist) and Johannes Valtonen (lead vocalist). I composed the songs in summer 2014, we started recording the album in I think July 2015 after our previous album was released and this year I've been just mixing and mastering it. In terms of production, I think my Gradus Prohibitus dubstep remix is the only thing by me that's better than this (and it's easier to make professional sounding dubstep mixes than metal, although the sound design is more difficult, but I'm way better at sound design than mixing), and in terms of songwriting, this is quite clearly better than Anti-Puppet Theory which is the only other comparison point, but I have to say that I have composed albums that are better than this that we are going to release in the future. Girl in the Shell is probably the best song out of what we've released so far, and it's kind of pointless to talk about songs that we haven't released yet because you don't know what they sound like.

I'll be sure to check that out later, unfortunately I'm a bit too tired to say anything useful about a song at the moment.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2016, 09:19:27 pm »

Read everything, I would be interested in watching you create music sometime. Could you stream a music creating session sometime? In fact, I very much might do that tomorrow, if anyone would want to watch that!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »
+1

I think it's generally important to have songs be memorably quickly, so listeners differentiate between songs. The beginning of The Visitor is instantly memorable. I think it's a plus.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2016, 11:09:04 pm »
+2

Read everything, I would be interested in watching you create music sometime. Could you stream a music creating session sometime? In fact, I very much might do that tomorrow, if anyone would want to watch that!

Sure thing! I've actually kind of wanted to do stuff like that, I just didn't think there would be an audience for it. I just need to figure out how to make the audio work properly, given that OBS doesn't seem to support ASIO drivers.

EDIT: Also, after I did some other stuff, I'm not feeling so tired anymore and so I listened to the song. The melodies at the beginning of the song (before 1:30 or so) sound kind of random, which is pretty par for the course for certain kinds of video game music, so it's not necessarily a bad thing if you were going for it on purpose. The sounds sound pretty videogamey as well. I'm not a huge fan of very extreme panning (unless it's something like multitracking or different unison voices panned across the entire stereo field), so the very beginning is slightly irritating to me, but the instruments that are panned to the sides pretty extremely are not that bad later on when the main elements of the mix are mostly in the center. I like the j-pop chord progression and the song has a positive mood which is probably quite fitting for some video games.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:26:37 pm by Awaclus »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »

Sure thing! I've actually kind of wanted to do stuff like that, I just didn't think there would be an audience for it. I just need to figure out how to make the audio work properly, given that OBS doesn't seem to support ASIO drivers.

EDIT: Also, after I did some other stuff, I'm not feeling so tired anymore and so I listened to the song. The melodies at the beginning of the song (before 1:30 or so) sound kind of random, which is pretty par for the course for certain kinds of video game music, so it's not necessarily a bad thing if you were going for it on purpose. The sounds sound pretty videogamey as well. I'm not a huge fan of very extreme panning (unless it's something like multitracking or different unison voices panned across the entire stereo field), so the very beginning is slightly irritating to me, but the instruments that are panned to the sides pretty extremely are not that bad later on when the main elements of the mix are mostly in the center. I like the j-pop chord progression and the song has a positive mood which is probably quite fitting for some video games.

There are a couple of things you'd have to do to make it work. You'd have to download SoundFlower, get it set up (I forgot how specifically, so I'll look into it and again, I'm doing this very same task today so I'll post how I did it shortly afterwards), and then I THINK you'd have to connect Logic into SoundFlower, chaining it into OBS and your headphones simultaneously. Don't hold me to that. I'd much rather not use SoundFlower and use nothing but OBS. I think it also lowers the volume and one time there was an issue with delay in sound, though I fixed that some time ago, so yes it's a complete annoying pain but I should be able to get it to work.

As to the review: I agree with the randomness of it. I basically took the main theme from someone, and just did my own thing with it the rest of the way. The intro doesn't quite match, but whatever, I like it. That the main theme jumps in way too suddenly is more of a problem than anything, and is probably why it's random sounding. I have had problems with just 'jumping in' before anyways.

I'm not the biggest fan of extreme panning either. I felt there was enough instruments to make it okay. I consider that part to be very empty, so I think if I added more instruments, it would be more forgiving. And later on, I had another similar instrument on the extreme other side with different settings, creating this awesome phased mess that sounds central but very wide, but is really two similar instruments with different settings.

If I were to rewrite this song, I'd consider throwing out or changing the main melody, which was the whole reason I wrote the song.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.