Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Music talk  (Read 92623 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Music talk
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2015, 07:06:52 am »
+1

By the way, new track deedly dee

As you may have inferred by my +1s, I listen to your songs, Ela. I have to say that they keep getting better on pretty much all account IMO -- composition, instrumentation, especially your voice. I think you've really found your identity as a singer and it shows in your last two or three songs.

This one, in particular, it was over and I was like "NEAU!!!! ME WANT OEN MOAR CHORUS!!!" you know, a nice loud one? :P Probably a nice compliment that I didn't wan the song to end.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2015, 11:14:26 am »
+1

By the way, new track deedly dee

As you may have inferred by my +1s, I listen to your songs, Ela. I have to say that they keep getting better on pretty much all account IMO -- composition, instrumentation, especially your voice. I think you've really found your identity as a singer and it shows in your last two or three songs.

This one, in particular, it was over and I was like "NEAU!!!! ME WANT OEN MOAR CHORUS!!!" you know, a nice loud one? :P Probably a nice compliment that I didn't wan the song to end.

Well shucks, I'm speechless. 😊

I wanted The Voices to end like that - it's supposed to be a bit creepy, like "oh crap, is the song not about individuality and ACTUALLY ABOUT INSANITY?!?!" The answer is, of course, I don't know. I just said words. They're vague for a reason. *le shrug*

By the way, I'm doing a project called Cover to Cover (which is a huge cover-a-thon with other songwriters in the area) so I'll be uploading two tracks on November 5th. And I'm... sorta going all out with them.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2015, 05:54:13 pm »
+1

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2015, 06:39:01 pm »
+1

unrelated to anything recent, some more thoughts on anti-puppet theory...

I came to like it a lot more than I did initially, especially S/T. The opening melody is just so beautiful... for me it's kind of about... resignation? like, on one side, there's the fucked up stuff the song is about, and then on the other side there's the way you deal with it/what it does to you. it's kind of hard to articulate, dunno if that has anything to do with what you were going for.

I initially disliked the growls, but now I think they work well to build up contrast. Definitely couldn't have cleans, that would ruin it.

What I have the biggest problem with (that goes for the album) is that the songs tend to feel similar... and formulaic. You always have the memorable and main melody, and then the rest of the song is structured around that. well, I guess that's true for a lot of songs out there, but it just feels a little bit too blunt, maybe because of how it contrasts to the rest of the song... I can't really explain it completely, which is why I've been hesitant to say something at all, but either way I often feel like the remainder of the album are sort of weaker takes on what S/T was doing.

so yeah. oh, and I've concluded that S/T >> Blackfish > 20 bonus damage > Reboot

On another note, how serious are you with the lyrics? My initial guess was not much, but I'm less sure now seeing your new avatar...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2015, 05:02:10 am »

What I have the biggest problem with (that goes for the album) is that the songs tend to feel similar... and formulaic. You always have the memorable and main melody, and then the rest of the song is structured around that. well, I guess that's true for a lot of songs out there, but it just feels a little bit too blunt, maybe because of how it contrasts to the rest of the song... I can't really explain it completely, which is why I've been hesitant to say something at all, but either way I often feel like the remainder of the album are sort of weaker takes on what S/T was doing.

That's kind of interesting. The biggest problem that I have with it, besides the fact that the production quality is less than what I could do nowadays, is that the songs don't feel similar enough — it doesn't feel like an album, it feels like a collection of songs. Which is literally what it is too; Reboot and Bonus Damage were songs that just didn't fit on any of our full-length albums and weren't inspiring enough to compose entire full-length albums around, and Anti-Puppet Theory and Blackfish were outtakes from full-length albums that didn't really benefit from those songs too much.

It's true that there's always a main melody. I don't really think our style of music would work too well without any memorable melodies. Reboot was sort of an attempt of doing that, actually (it has melodies, but they aren't memorable). Sometimes there is more than one, though.

On another note, how serious are you with the lyrics? My initial guess was not much, but I'm less sure now seeing your new avatar...

Explaining our lyrics isn't something I want to do too much, because some of them (mostly on the future albums) are ambiguous on purpose and I don't think there should be an "official" way to interpret any of them. In general, though, the lyrics are extremely tongue-in-cheek and somewhat self-ironical at times, and primarily they're supposed to be entertaining (entertaining to write at least), but beneath that, there is also a message that we're more serious about, but in way less radical ways that the lyrics might suggest.

EDIT: I'm not sure how the taijitu in my avatar makes it seem more likely that we're serious with the lyrics though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:16:53 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »

EDIT: I'm not sure how the taijitu in my avatar makes it seem more likely that we're serious with the lyrics though.

Ah, I've seen it as a kind of animal that's trapped...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2015, 01:54:46 pm »

Like a bird, the top right part is the tail, and the dot is an eye

even knowing what it is it still looks like that, honestly

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2015, 09:05:23 am »
+1

As promised, my two covers that I'm performing today
Here Are My Wrists - I like to think I out-produced the original on this one
The Ocean's Embers - The most a cappella I've ever done for a song... almost

Oh, and this is the guy who wrote them.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2015, 08:15:41 am »

Thought about breaking my silence to write about this earlier but I didn't. Oh well, here it is now :)

Here Are My Wrists - I like to think I out-produced the original on this one

Ela, I think this is your best song by far, so many awesome things are happening in it. I listened to yours and the original and I really liked what you did with it. I'm a big fan of piano-led instrumentation, especially over guitar-led (which seems to be this guy's thing) and well I like your voice better than his too :P

In both of these songs, you've taken what he made and changed significant things to suit your style and voice, and I think you made some really smart choices and it shows. At 4:35, the end of the bridge in this one, wow man, like I've had dreams of singing a part like that. That was so cool. Like, I'm really tempted to put this in my music library that's how good it is.

May I assume you've been working on your voice? I assume this because in these songs it sounds so much cleaner and more precise than in your older ones. I listened to your YouTube video where you sang live and even there you sound really good. The shape of your vowels, the lack of vibrato (which I feel is overused by so many), the way you're always in the center of the pitch. Man, that's hard, I'm bad at that stuff.

Anyways I'll stop gushing. You sound really good, Ela. MAKE MOAR SONGZ PLS
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2015, 05:58:21 pm »

This was my first time using rap vocals in a production.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2015, 02:42:35 pm »

I need some help with a kick drum sound I'm working on. Input from producers, musicians and non-musicians equally appreciated.

Here's the sound in a full mix:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16948609/drum%20design%203.mp3 EDIT 2: now it's the correct file!

I have two questions:

1) How do you like it?
2) How do you think it was made?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:54:36 pm by Awaclus »

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »

I need some help with a kick drum sound I'm working on. Input from producers, musicians and non-musicians equally appreciated.

Here's the sound in a full mix:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16948609/drum%20design%203.mp3 EDIT 2: now it's the correct file!

I have two questions:

1) How do you like it?
2) How do you think it was made?

I couldn't really hear it clearly - the mix was a bit too... mixed. I like the overall sound though.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2015, 07:07:23 pm »

I couldn't really hear it clearly - the mix was a bit too... mixed. I like the overall sound though.

I see. Is it more audible now?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2015, 12:08:31 am »
+1

I think it's about time to talk about our favorite releases of 2015.

All in all, I think 2015 was an indescribably great year in terms of new music. A ton of artists that I was already a fan of released what I think are their best albums to date, I discovered new artists who also released awesome music this year, and many artists also released not their best, but still very good albums. It even occurred two times this year that my new favorite album of all time was released, and the previous one was from 2007, which goes to show that my mind was really blown away big time this year (since it might be hard to tell from my descriptive words alone, given how enthusiastically I tend to post about basically all the music that I listen to).

Anyway, I have a top three sorted by how good I think they are and a long list of honorable mentions (i.e. releases that I seriously could have considered for the third place) sorted by genre/availability for free download/alphabetical order (because I don't expect people to check all of these out, so I think that'll make it easier to pick just the ones that are the most worth checking out given your personal interests). Feel free to present your favorites in a different way if you prefer.

1. Kauan: Sorni Nai

Post-rock with neo-classical and doom metal vibes. The entire album is basically just a single 50-minute song, and it feels very cinematic. The lyrics are based on the Dyatlov Pass incident and incredibly beautiful — I've always found the incident very intriguing, but it was this album that made me also see the aspect of the incident that nine individuals actually lost their lives there — but unfortunately if you don't speak Finnish, you're SOL as far as understanding them is concerned since I don't believe they have been translated into English yet. Free to download at Blood Music's Bandcamp page.

2. Solefald: World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud

A creative mix of modern avant-garde black metal, electronic dance music and African ethnic music. It's a very refreshing experience, but it is worth noting that not everyone is in need of such an experience and those who are not particularly fond of avant-garde might find this album difficult to approach. That being said, it is super good (better than anything else I had heard at that point, at least).

3. iwrestledabearonce: Hail Mary

Mathcore with some occasional avant-garde elements. Not anything special, just particularly good at what it is.

Honorable mentions:

Metal:
Buensuceso: Inner Winter (available for free)
Neurotech: Stigma (available for free)
Born of Osiris: Soul Sphere
Dead Existence: Endless Misery
Heidevolk: Velua
Negură Bunget: Tău
Sigh: Graveward
TesseracT: Polaris
Thy Catafalque: Sgùrr

Electronic music:
Neurotech: Evasive (available for free)
Knife Party: Trigger Warning
Noisia & The Upbeats: Dead Limit
Noisia: Incessant EP
Zomboy: Resurrected LP

Pop/rock:
Kalafina: Far on the water
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu: Mondai Girl
Lapko: Freedom
Mew: +-
Sallan ja Miron matka maailman ympäri: <3

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:58 pm »

I know 2 artists from Awaclus' list. Kauan is pretty great, the albums I've listened to are gorgeous without being overly complex. Kyary PP is fun and very 'pure' pop music

For me, Nämïdäë really outshines everything else, although I'm not sure how to describe it. It's super dense, the music changes theme and tempo every few seconds, and there's barely any sense of structure or direction to the songs, and it all sounds unlike everything I've heard before. I've listened to it probably about twenty times by now, and still don't think that I got nearly everything. It has a crazy amount of replayability. Super emotional. I also makes me want to turn up the volume, which is something I usually never do.

Not sure what genre it is. Sputnik tags it as Doom Metal, Experimental, and Gothic. Someone in the comments used the term Alien Metal.

Runner up is probably Hand.Cannot.Erase by Steven Wilson, who's pretty adamant about not being put into a genre. Much lighter stuff, everything makes sense, and a few songs are even catchy. Still a more of a sad/dark tone overall though.

Tells the story of a girl that lives in a big city, becomes tired with the nonsense of modern society, and chooses to "disappear", i.e. cut contact with everyone (not sure how she pays for stuff).

There's even a sort of blog that tells the story from the girl's perspective.

The title track (12:18) is probably the easiest listen

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2015, 10:08:41 pm »

I know 2 artists from Awaclus' list.

I know Öxxö Xööx from your list, but I didn't know they released a new album this year. I just checked it out and turns out it's pretty good. Steven Wilson was new to me but also pretty good, although I don't listen to music like that very often these days.

If you're not at it already, you should definitely check out at least the last four entries of my metal section based on what I know of what you listen to.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2016, 06:09:44 am »

I made a collaboration with J&J (music by me, video by him) and also branched out to a genre of metal I've never done before.

Warning: the video is borderline NSFW (and I guess the song too).

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2016, 03:25:20 pm »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »

Beta "Remix" of Elanchana's song 'Juno', and yes I know the vocals are off at parts

Hey, can I get you to add this link to the description? I'd like people to be able to hear the original if they want to.

Actually my C2C partner recorded his version of Juno but I don't know if he's posted it anywhere.

And... tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of that song and the blizzard that inspired it. *legasp*

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2016, 06:00:19 pm »
+1

Beta "Remix" of Elanchana's song 'Juno', and yes I know the vocals are off at parts

Hey, can I get you to add this link to the description? I'd like people to be able to hear the original if they want to.

Actually my C2C partner recorded his version of Juno but I don't know if he's posted it anywhere.

And... tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of that song and the blizzard that inspired it. *legasp*

Done. Don't know how I forgot that.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:03 pm »
+1

Done. Don't know how I forgot that.
Seprix is online again? Great! Go mod your Lord of the Rings Mafia game!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2016, 03:23:24 am »

I'm going to a local gig in a couple of days, and among others, Kauan are playing.
I've never really listened to them, and I want to try to do so before the gig. What do you guys advise me to start with?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2016, 07:54:09 am »
+1

I'm going to a local gig in a couple of days, and among others, Kauan are playing.
I've never really listened to them, and I want to try to do so before the gig. What do you guys advise me to start with?

I think Sorni Nai is their best album and it's not really very difficult to get into, so you could start with that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2016, 08:46:29 am »
+1

I think Kauan is generally really easy to get into, so you can prob get into a bunch of albums until you see them.

But if you have to set priorities, I'd also start with Sorni Nai. The most recent album has the highest chance to include songs that they'll play live.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:14 am »
+2

Very nice and touching music. When their vocalist grouls it strongly reminds me of Pasi Koskinen's Ajattara (possible just because they share a language).

By the way, at the gig I mentioned these two bands are going to play too, and I consider them both as examples of a better part of russian metal scene. Check them out!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:33:04 am by Burning Skull »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.