Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Music talk  (Read 92588 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Music talk
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2015, 11:15:31 am »

Here's my SoundCloud. Weirdness guaranteed.

https://soundcloud.com/pop-pop-29

I listened to some of Elanchana's stuff and they are really enjoyable, I will listen to more in my free time. Awesome thread :)

Will listen soon. I will boost the musical community.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2015, 12:01:33 pm »

Pretty good stuff! Spicy Merchant sounds a little counterintuitive to me, but I like the older ones a lot.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2015, 11:53:06 pm »

I listened to some of Elanchana's stuff and they are really enjoyable, I will listen to more in my free time. Awesome thread :)

Holy cow, Spicy Merchant is really really weird. And I can't say I like it that much. It's just too much at once. About 1:20, it devolves into something I can't really get behind. It all clashes and is very dissonant. I love dissonant music, but you're adding a bit too much I think. It's very very odd, and I commend you for trying something unique, but I don't like it.

The Rains Of Castamere songs are nicer sounding. I am noticing something odd here in comparison with your last song, but both underlie a problem that I can point to. In Spicy Merchant, there was too much going on. In this song, there is too little going on. There needs to be stronger percussion power via mixing, but the real issue I have is the lack of melody. We need more instruments. More music. I do like the voices though.

Spectre: I like this one the best so far, because it has something I can groove to. There's background melody, the percussion is nice, the dissonance you love using actually works because it's not as cutting.

Giraffe is unique and interesting. I like it. It's atmospheric, and the weird sounds are enough to pass without too much melody, but I wouldn't listen to this again because there isn't anything to go back for. There's no layer of melody.

That BT - Dreaming song sounds amazing, but I don't know if it's all your work or not.

I like the audio splicing and editing you do, and you seem to like doing this a lot, but again, I would work on musical composition and melody, (and mixing, but that's complex and not as important until you get more basic musical foundations down). You also embrace the odd. I love this. Keep at it, but don't be afraid to venture into the 'ordinary' sometimes and mix elements of both into your songs.

I also scouted you on Newgrounds. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:00:47 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Spellbound

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2015, 01:58:15 am »

Dreaming isn't mine. It's Brian Transeau's work, I just put it there for my friends :P. If you like it you should check out his albums, Movement in Still Life is his best and Ima is awesome if you are into trance.

To Seprix, I would like to make more melodic based stuff. But often when I do, I would find it being clichι and just move on to have fun making 'that things you witnessed in my SC'. There is still some of melodic project, but it is going realrealreal slow. Anyways, your comments help me pretty much. Thank you.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2015, 07:26:23 am »

Ima is awesome if you are into trance.
I have only heard a bit of trance (about 15 years ago in a head shop in Seattle) but I really liked it. I never dug any deeper though, and have no idea who I was listening to.  Can anyone suggest a few artists or CDs to get an overview?

Also, what are the differences between "trance", "house", and "drums and bass"? 

Note: these questions are not addressed just to Spellbound.  Please comment - I need some fresh music.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2015, 07:45:52 am »
+1

Ima is awesome if you are into trance.
I have only heard a bit of trance (about 15 years ago in a head shop in Seattle) but I really liked it. I never dug any deeper though, and have no idea who I was listening to.  Can anyone suggest a few artists or CDs to get an overview?

Also, what are the differences between "trance", "house", and "drums and bass"? 

Note: these questions are not addressed just to Spellbound.  Please comment - I need some fresh music.

For trance artists, I think the best way to discover them is to listen to DJ sets on YouTube (they usually have the songs listed in the description). Here's one for example:

Trance is around (usually exactly) 140 bpm, usually very melodic and atmospheric, rhythmically simple, uses a lot of four-on-the-floor beats, and the song structures are based around hook melodies more than other genres of EDM.

There's a very wide variety of different sub genres of house, but the basic characteristics are four-on-the-floor beats and strong emphasis on the rhythm, which is repetitive but not necessarily simple. The structure is usually the traditional drop-based EDM song structure. A lot of house tracks are around 128 bpm.

Drum and bass is around 160-180 bpm, uses syncopated beats and usually breakbeats, has usually heavier sound design than trance or house, focuses a lot on the bass and sub bass lines, and its song structures are usually basically the drop-based structures, but the drop might be longer than in other genres (which makes up for the faster tempo). There are also many different sub genres of DnB, but the concrete differences between them, while significant, aren't really massive in the end.

EDIT: these are not scientific facts, just my own observations. Someone else might find different key elements about each genre.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:48:42 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Spellbound

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2015, 08:39:28 am »

To be honest, I don't know much about Europian or American EDM. I would recommend searching for Darude (yes the sandstorm guy) and BT for start, their stuffs are easy to enjoy.
Also check Goldenscan's soundcloud, very classic trance.
https://soundcloud.com/goldenscan

Awaclus' explanation is good. ;)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »

This was my first attempt at producing drum 'n' bass. As usual, any feedback would be appreciated.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2015, 08:27:38 pm »

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:03 am »

https://play.spotify.com/user/1261281899/starred

I don't even know what I like.

Edit: btw I write music too, mostly classical-esque piano/orchestral stuff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:51:11 am by Graystripe77 »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:54 pm »

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/638856

I got lazy and didn't finish it. I'll do it another day I guess.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 08:19:15 pm »

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2015, 12:28:26 am »
+1

Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2015, 12:45:32 am »

Finally finished another track!

I like the lyrics. Sounds like the Beatles. Probably why I didn't like the actual implementation of the music as much. :p

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2015, 10:34:24 am »

Something different than writing music, I tried teach drums to someone recently. From th real basics of holding a stick and which drums are called what. It's interesting to do, and I like teaching. I'm not sure how to go about teaching fundamentals, like told and double strokes, since I'm rusty on doing those myself.

Anyone else try teaching like this?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33:05 am »

I had to give voice lessons last semester. Pedagogy class helped me through most of the technique stuff, but my student didn't have a very good ear and I've NEVER thought about how to match pitch before - I just do it. So there's that.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2015, 12:22:29 pm »

I had to give voice lessons last semester. Pedagogy class helped me through most of the technique stuff, but my student didn't have a very good ear and I've NEVER thought about how to match pitch before - I just do it. So there's that.

Yeah, a lot of feeling the time signature stuff is hard to teach, for drums. I think one of the best exercises is to get students to recognize things in music. Like ask students to indicate certain sounds in music, and to try to keep time while listening to music.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2015, 02:19:54 pm »

Yeah, a lot of feeling the time signature stuff is hard to teach, for drums. I think one of the best exercises is to get students to recognize things in music. Like ask students to indicate certain sounds in music, and to try to keep time while listening to music.

That's definitely a smart thing to do. Being able to listen to music analytically is super important.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2015, 07:00:52 pm »

What do you think about my pipa sound?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16948609/pipa.mp3

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:59 pm »
+1

Is that a custom patch? If so, that sounds really cool!

I've started trying my hand at custom patches on both SuperCollider and Reason... still need to know the ropes...

By the way, new track deedly dee

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2015, 11:41:06 pm »
+1

I've started trying my hand at custom patches on both SuperCollider and Reason... still need to know the ropes...

I'm not sure what you mean by patch; it's just a single Harmor with no post effects (although there was a point at which I was using a bunch of other stuff, but that didn't work out and then I removed everything and started over). But it is a custom sound that I made from a scratch today. I usually make all of my synth sounds that way, since it's more fun than going through all of the presets on all of the synths, and for the majority of the sounds that I make, it's also faster because like 95% of the sounds I use are just various kinds of supersaws anyway.

If you want to get into sound design, I would recommend SeamlessR's YouTube channel. Most of his videos are about EDM and he makes most of his sounds on the Image-Line synths, but he's really good at explaining the concepts and if you understand the concepts, you can make anything you want with almost anything you have.

Have you considered putting (more) reverb on the drum overheads? I think that might be a good idea, since now they sound a little bit dead, which reduces the uplifting impact of the drums coming in. The song itself is more interesting than your older songs, I think.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2015, 11:53:24 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by patch; it's just a single Harmor with no post effects (although there was a point at which I was using a bunch of other stuff, but that didn't work out and then I removed everything and started over). But it is a custom sound that I made from a scratch today. I usually make all of my synth sounds that way, since it's more fun than going through all of the presets on all of the synths, and for the majority of the sounds that I make, it's also faster because like 95% of the sounds I use are just various kinds of supersaws anyway.

If you want to get into sound design, I would recommend SeamlessR's YouTube channel. Most of his videos are about EDM and he makes most of his sounds on the Image-Line synths, but he's really good at explaining the concepts and if you understand the concepts, you can make anything you want with almost anything you have.

Have you considered putting (more) reverb on the drum overheads? I think that might be a good idea, since now they sound a little bit dead, which reduces the uplifting impact of the drums coming in. The song itself is more interesting than your older songs, I think.
That's awesome. I'm not brave enough to make all my patches from scratch yet, because I can't account for nearly all of the variables. Most of what I do is take an already created Reason patch and screw with it so it doesn't completely match the original.

I did put varying degrees of reverb on the drums in The Voices - I really DIDN'T want a wet sound in that song and even turning up the reverb one degree too much made it wishy-washy. The drums were screwy in any case and I went through five different loops and a ton of individual samples before settling on sounds that didn't need much reverb to provide a thicker sound.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2015, 01:42:34 pm »

That's awesome. I'm not brave enough to make all my patches from scratch yet, because I can't account for nearly all of the variables. Most of what I do is take an already created Reason patch and screw with it so it doesn't completely match the original.

I did put varying degrees of reverb on the drums in The Voices - I really DIDN'T want a wet sound in that song and even turning up the reverb one degree too much made it wishy-washy. The drums were screwy in any case and I went through five different loops and a ton of individual samples before settling on sounds that didn't need much reverb to provide a thicker sound.

You certainly don't have to use all of the variables. Just start by focusing on what kind of qualities are associated with the sound you're trying to make, and then figure out how to have those qualities in it. Especially for synthetic sounding instruments, you might need only a couple of things to make the sound.

I think the kick and snare sound fine as they are, I was just thinking of the cymbals mostly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2015, 05:06:58 pm »

Speaking of new tracks, I just finished one too (unrelated to the pipa).

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2015, 12:23:41 am »

I can second the recommendation to check out SeamlessR's channel.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.