Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]  All

Author Topic: M52: Death Note Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 140416 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
Re: M52: Death Note Mafia (Town wins!)
« Reply #1000 on: December 01, 2014, 11:40:46 am »

Yay we won !

My reads were pretty awful this game.

I agree that this would probably work better in Blitz, though I disagree that the problem is taht you are being rewarded for being shot. If you view being shot as being rewarded, I don't know what to say because that's obviously wrong : being shot as town is te same as mislynching so...
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 01, 2014, 11:43:13 am »

That's probably because this is the internet and it's very easy to misconstrue tone. I have no personal investment in this setup, I just happen to think this setup can be more fun in a blitz setup or if the players are more willing to trust their gut and shoot quicker and I hope it's run again.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 01, 2014, 11:44:14 am »

You guys all have valid arguments but I think the problem is you're comparing this setup to other normal setups and making a judgement based on that. Yes compared to other setups this is dull for lack of PRs and only one person ultimately determines who dies, but in a drunk mafia or blitz context like ash has pointed out, I think this could be pretty fun. I understand the argument that if town is shot they are "rewarded" but I don't see it like that. I see it as whoever misses scum gets punished (killed) so whoever holds the gun is under a lot of pressure to get it right. The only rewarding part about is being an IC, but you can still die if you miss.

Also everyone has complained that this game dragged on and on. If you look at how many posts are in this thread, we're only at page 40. I understand there's inherently less to talk about because of the setup, but almost without fail everyone waited until the day of the deadline to shoot. Often people would go 4 or 5 days without posting anything. Yes I didn't forsee the problem of 10 day days in the beginning of the game but deadlines are a loose suggestion and I think people should've been more trigger happy.

I generally agree with this.  Plus, once you're made the IC, you  have to continue on without any more information than you had the previous day, because there is no Night Kill, and you already knew the alignment of the guy that shot you.  Everyone else gets the bonus of knowing your alignment. 

I actually thought this went pretty well.  Days 1 was good, and Day 2 mostly.  It died down a little after that.  SP mentioned that every day was kind of like Day 1, but I think our Day 1 here was pretty neat, so I don't see a big issue with that.    I felt a little at a loss once I got the gun, because people just kind of stopped talking.

I'd be up for trying again, probably with reduced deadlines (5 days maybe?).  Blitz could be fun as well.   

Generally

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 01, 2014, 11:44:35 am »

Yay we won !

I agree that this would probably work better in Blitz, though I disagree that the problem is taht you are being rewarded for being shot. If you view being shot as being rewarded, I don't know what to say because that's obviously wrong : being shot as town is te same as mislynching so...

You were on Day 1!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 01, 2014, 11:46:17 am »

Yay we won !

Well it's not exactly the same, which is the point I kept arguing.  Mislynching means L people need to vote for you.  Getting shot means 1 guy has to choose to shoot you.  Having L (or L-scum) people think you're scum is different than having one Vig-type think you're scum. It can be the same if the shooter chooses to follow votes, but they don't have to. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 01, 2014, 11:47:20 am »

That's probably because this is the internet and it's very easy to misconstrue tone. I have no personal investment in this setup, I just happen to think this setup can be more fun in a blitz setup or if the players are more willing to trust their gut and shoot quicker and I hope it's run again.

There was definitely a feeling of "man I don't want to get this wrong!" when I got the gun.  Before I got it, I had a more "I want to go on a killing spree!" attitude.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 01, 2014, 11:48:53 am »

I meant that it's the same result for town, ie -1 townie, which is obviously bad.

Also being notebearer isn' all that fun since, as you pointed out, you have less info than anyone else. Its somewhat similar t being an IC (which I haven't been yet but I'm not particularly looking forward to it).

And yeah, reversing my read on you was good, except it was completely useless since you immediately got shot. I was on the Eevee lynch day 1, so at least that was decent.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:01 am »

Yay we won !

of course being shot is a bad thing, but there are two sides two it, the, uh, intellectual (in lack of a better word) and the emotional one. Surely the first one is more important, and in the end we all tried not to get shot. But it just makes sense for a setup to punish you on both sides for being lynched, that way you try harder. I mean why give any sort of advantage for being shot, even if it's a small one? The fact that you usually aren't even allowed a goodbye post in the thread gives being killed extra weight, and that just doesn't exist here.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 01, 2014, 11:50:45 am »

I thought this was a very fun game to be in as scum, but I understand why it didn't feel as good to most people. It did feel extremely difficult to win, though.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 01, 2014, 11:52:29 am »

Well, I guess I'll just disagree onyour intellectual/emotional dichotomy here. I would feel pretty bad about being shot, since that means I failed to convince that person I was town.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's a big problem in the setup or a reason that people started lurking. I think the problem is that votes don't mean much, which means you feel pretty powerless as a townie.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 01, 2014, 11:53:01 am »

Yay we won !

Well it's not exactly the same, which is the point I kept arguing.  Mislynching means L people need to vote for you.  Getting shot means 1 guy has to choose to shoot you.  Having L (or L-scum) people think you're scum is different than having one Vig-type think you're scum. It can be the same if the shooter chooses to follow votes, but they don't have to.

I think it's similar in the sense that in both a mislynch and a misshot (or whatever) a member of town dies. So no member of town is "rewarded" for being shot, they all have to deal with losing one member of town.

There was definitely a feeling of "man I don't want to get this wrong!" when I got the gun.  Before I got it, I had a more "I want to go on a killing spree!" attitude.

And I think that might be because we're all taking this game way too seriously. Let's just have some fun and go on killing sprees!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 01, 2014, 11:54:20 am »

I meant that it's the same result for town, ie -1 townie, which is obviously bad.

Also being notebearer isn' all that fun since, as you pointed out, you have less info than anyone else. Its somewhat similar t being an IC (which I haven't been yet but I'm not particularly looking forward to it).

And yeah, reversing my read on you was good, except it was completely useless since you immediately got shot. I was on the Eevee lynch day 1, so at least that was decent.

It told me you were town, though.  There wasn't a convincing scum narrative for the way you handled the read on me, plus it felt very genuine.

Axxle2

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 01, 2014, 07:33:55 pm »

I think this was an interesting game, though I was a bit of the problem not posting too often. I'd argue that this is different enough from a standard mafia dynamic its kind of a different game though.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 01, 2015, 07:34:10 pm »

Andrew, who is the MVP here?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 01, 2015, 11:20:40 pm »

I can't remember who did what. I can look over it tonight and choose someone if you'd like.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 02, 2015, 12:14:31 am »

I can't remember who did what. I can look over it tonight and choose someone if you'd like.

Yes, please.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 02, 2015, 05:55:05 pm »

I guess sudgy would be MVP for ending the game.

Bee-tea-dubs, anyone want to run this setup as a blitz maybe next week?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 03, 2015, 09:56:50 pm »

I guess sudgy would be MVP for ending the game.

Bee-tea-dubs, anyone want to run this setup as a blitz maybe next week?

Yay!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.