Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: People to avoid on isotropic  (Read 94166 times)

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
Re: People to avoid on isotropic
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54:00 am »

So I had a string of losses yesterday, and tried to still be friendly even though I felt that I was having abnormally bad luck (playing against 5/2 in a witch game is annoying once, but miserable in multiples). Anyway, I then played Jenkis (or something like that) on a Familiar board and when he pulled $2P he just walked away and made me wait two minutes to resign him. I don't think I've ever been so furious about a game.    >:(

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »

So I had a string of losses yesterday, and tried to still be friendly even though I felt that I was having abnormally bad luck (playing against 5/2 in a witch game is annoying once, but miserable in multiples). Anyway, I then played Jenkis (or something like that) on a Familiar board and when he pulled $2P he just walked away and made me wait two minutes to resign him. I don't think I've ever been so furious about a game.    >:(

I get this way too often and have posted about it before.  I'm sure a few people fail to resign on purpose, but I suspect the majority don't know the resign button is there.  I've even had games where someone resigns with a nice message and leaves before I can type "gg, please hit the resign button," making me to sit around waiting for the timeout.  I've never minded someone resigning, but that timeout is annoying.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »

I only found the resign button on accident today as well!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37:56 am »
+1

Honestly, the resign button needs to be available more than just at the start of your turn.  There are times when you don't want to resign until you've seen how badly this hand played out.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2012, 01:42:10 pm »

Honestly, the resign button needs to be available more than just at the start of your turn.  There are times when you don't want to resign until you've seen how badly this hand played out.

+1.  When someone launches off on 2 minute scrying pool / pawn / hamlet / torturer chain, you know that not only are you going to have to sit there for 2 minutes, but you're going to have to pay attention to handle the torturer reaction...

In those situations I usually just beg: "please dude end it and I'll resign I promise"
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

+1.  When someone launches off on 2 minute scrying pool / pawn / hamlet / torturer chain, you know that not only are you going to have to sit there for 2 minutes, but you're going to have to pay attention to handle the torturer reaction...

In those situations I usually just beg: "please dude end it and I'll resign I promise"

I'm not positive, but I believe that killing that tab/window in your browser will give the "client disconnected/unresponsive" message.  Not positive though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2012, 02:41:27 pm »
+1

Hitting 'exit' works, I believe.  When you close the tab, the game waits for you to come back.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »

Hitting 'exit' works, I believe.  When you close the tab, the game waits for you to come back.

Yes, I use exit for this purpose all the time, and it definitely works since I sometimes get immediately re-matched with the same opponent. It's too bad it prevents discussing the game, though.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »

Yes, exit is always safe.  I tested this out logging in on two different browsers.  Clicking on exit will always immediately issue a resignation with the "client disconnected/unresponsive" message.  This is true in the middle of your own turn or when it is your opponents turn. (If it is your opponents turn the message will appear as soon as they finish.)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »

I agree with the need for a resign button needing more availability. The fact is you need to have cards in your hand to resign, so if you discarded your garbage hand at the beginning of a torturer chain only to realize you need to resign, you can't
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 05:13:45 pm »

Yes, exit is always safe.  I tested this out logging in on two different browsers.  Clicking on exit will always immediately issue a resignation with the "client disconnected/unresponsive" message.  This is true in the middle of your own turn or when it is your opponents turn. (If it is your opponents turn the message will appear as soon as they finish.)

Good to know! I've always wondered why sometimes I get "client disconnected" and sometimes a regular resign (not counting times that I've waited 3 minutes, then I know). The one problem, still, is that this doesn't handle situations when your opponent needs to take action on your turn. I had a game once where I had the guy in the KC-Masq-Ghost Ship pin; and we talked about how the game doesn't let you resign if you have a 0-card hand. So I told him just to wait 3 minutes and not do anything. This was after a had played a Masquerade. So he waited, and after 3 minutes I got the notice to make him resign, which I did. But then something crazy happened... as soon as I did that, it says he passed me a card. The game automatically passed a card for him. As soon as I finished my turn, it said I won.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 06:06:08 pm »

He could have used exit in that case and it would have done the same thing (without the 3 minute wait).  If there is interaction required from your opponent after they have exited, Isotropic automatically handles it.

The 9th Doctor

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 12:26:25 am »

I suppose I should have expected it given his name.

21:18 The 9th Doctor: good luck!
21:22 jackass: fuck you
21:23 The 9th Doctor: ??

To be fair, I had pursued a strategy that beat his strategy, so...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/24/game-20120224-212548-0ffe2023.html

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 05:36:44 am »
+3

I suppose I should have expected it given his name.

21:18 The 9th Doctor: good luck!
21:22 jackass: fuck you
21:23 The 9th Doctor: ??

To be fair, I had pursued a strategy that beat his strategy, so...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/24/game-20120224-212548-0ffe2023.html

Possibly a Tennant fan.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

cdnza

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:11 am »

I just played this dude, who seemed to be trying to "punish" me for casting goons every turn by slowrolling

12:33 Taidon: !details
12:33 Taidon: >> cdnza => 19 points [deck size is 29(13a)] - {"Treasure":11,"Victory":5,"Uniques":6,"Actions":13}
12:33 Taidon: >>    {"Copper":8,"Estate":5,"Farming Village":5,"Silver":3,"Goons":7,"Scheme":1}
12:33 Taidon: >> Taidon => 8 points [deck size is 24(14a)] - {"Treasure":7,"Victory":3,"Uniques":8,"Actions":14}
12:33 Taidon: >>    {"Copper":1,"Estate":3,"Mine":1,"Scheme":4,"Silver":6,"Farming Village":5,"Goons":3,"Conspirator":1}
12:34 Taidon: have fun waiting.
12:37 Taidon: Now have fun waiting more.
12:37 Taidon: Freaking attack card players. :\
12:37 cdnza: hm?
12:39 Taidon: You're a jerk.
12:40 Taidon has returned to the lobby.

edit: in case it wasn't apparent, he was idling and then returning so that he wouldn't time out automatically lol

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:20 am »

In the words of rrenaud: Jerks win.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »
+2

this attitude always baffles me.  It's like sitting down to play chess with someone, making your first capture and having them stand up and say indignantly. "You CAPTURED my PAWN? That is SO unsportsmanlike. What a jerk!"
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »

this attitude always baffles me.  It's like sitting down to play chess with someone, making your first capture and having them stand up and say indignantly. "You CAPTURED my PAWN? That is SO unsportsmanlike. What a jerk!"

You sunk my battleship!!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2012, 06:46:02 am »

Exactly, and who is really being unsportsmanlike.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 02:21:16 pm »

People who were mentioned multiple times in the other thread or quoted saying obscene things (though I have not personally had experiences playing with them):
I love you
indomitable
Rambo888
Copper-nicus
lazmaster

I took a quick look at the above post and momentarily panicked. I'm nice, I swear! I always apologize to people profusely as I Torturer chain them!

But now I see that's not me. Ah, relief.

For some reason, a player named Murtaugh ALWAYS declines me in auto-match. It's happened during different play sessions on several different days. Does he decline other people, or is it just me? I can't help worrying he mistakes me for the supposedly evil Rambo888.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:01 pm »

People who were mentioned multiple times in the other thread or quoted saying obscene things (though I have not personally had experiences playing with them):
I love you
indomitable
Rambo888
Copper-nicus
lazmaster

I took a quick look at the above post and momentarily panicked. I'm nice, I swear! I always apologize to people profusely as I Torturer chain them!

But now I see that's not me. Ah, relief.

For some reason, a player named Murtaugh ALWAYS declines me in auto-match. It's happened during different play sessions on several different days. Does he decline other people, or is it just me? I can't help worrying he mistakes me for the supposedly evil Rambo888.

There's a player that I always decline to play with, but only because I find his isotropic name offensive. I can't imagine that's what's going on in your case.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:26 pm »

This same player seems to always decline me in auto-match as well. I am also not sure if it is something I've done.

Cheese

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 04:27:33 am »
+5

This same player seems to always decline me in auto-match as well. I am also not sure if it is something I've done.

I would be surprised if he plays anyone, ever. He's too old for this shit.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:17 pm »
+2

Without defending that attitude exactly (especially the copping one part), I would note that there does seem to be a variance of opinion on the question of attack cards. Unlike in chess, where the players are immediately battling over the same space, it is possible, and indeed inevitable on certain boards, to play Dominion non-interactively. And there does seem to be a fair segment of who prefer to play that way.

This is probably in some measure a function of level; I think it's fair to say - and this was certainly the case for me and my friends - that starting out in the game you want to get a feel for using the cards and building a deck, and while you're doing that being buried in curses, coppers and three-card hands is not much fun. (I guess it's a bit like if your first game of football as a kid were tackle and immediate rush like 'real' football; you'd be so overwhelmed you'd never get a chance to learn how to set up and run plays, and would probably wind up hating the game pretty quick.) As one gains more experience and knows what one's doing a bit more, one comes to see attacks as simply a part of the game, and accepts that for example a curse-heavy game will be a different, more slogging kind of game than the more immediately appealing action-rich ones.

That said there are probably also some who never warm to the concept. Perhaps there could be at some point a separate room or forum for those who wish to play 'peacably', whether for training purposes or just out of preference? Of course those games couldn't be rated on the main leaderboard.

Or is the general feeling that trial by fire is best? In that case I suppose those who wish to avoid attack games could sort themselves out by level, or by using the card-constraints function...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 09:23:48 pm »

DougZ actually tried something that at one point, I think. When he instituted lobbies, there was the Secret Chamber for meeting up with friends, and there were two other lobbies - one labeled as being for "competitive" play and the other as being for "casual" play. Nobody ended up ever using the "casual" one, so it was removed because it was always empty. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 1.075 seconds with 21 queries.