Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: People to avoid on isotropic  (Read 94148 times)

nsnyder

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
People to avoid on isotropic
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »

The recent thread about decline of civility on Istropic reminds me that I would really like to have a list somewhere of the people who are rude and obscene so that I can avoid playing them.  In particular, I've had several terrible experiences with yourface.  I just had a game where ddubois was very rude (and he came up three times in the civility thread as an example of someone being particularly rude and obscene).  Could we come up with a good list of the people to avoid?

Everyone gets frustrated now and then, but people who are frequently rude, obscene, or offensive just aren't fun to play with.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: People to avoid on isotropic
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:42:51 pm »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, "penis".

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »
+2

I'm going to keep this topic open, but to be honest I don't think this is a good idea.  Different people have different opinions of rudeness.  I don't doubt that the object of your complaint must have been acting quite rudely for you and three others to comment on him, but I'm not sure that for us to maintain kind of public communal blacklist is wise.

Remember that you can mute your opponent on Isotropic.

nsnyder

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:49:40 pm »

People who were mentioned multiple times in the other thread or quoted saying obscene things (though I have not personally had experiences playing with them):
I love you
indomitable
Rambo888
Copper-nicus
lazmaster

nsnyder

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »

Sorry theory, in going through that thread I found your comment saying you weren't excited about such a list.  I had missed that page the first time (I wasn't following the thread closely).  If you want to delete this thread I won't be offended.

Anyway, mute doesn't really help unless you know which players to mute.  Once I've had an experience like with one of these players I don't want to play them whether or not they can talk.  I play dominion for fun and it's not fun to play against the likes of yourface and ddubois.

What I would really like is some way to automatically mute all players who get enough complaints, but dougz doesn't want to implement that feature, and so this seemed like the second best option.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:38 pm »
+4

People who were mentioned multiple times in the other thread or quoted saying obscene things (though I have not personally had experiences playing with them):
I love you
indomitable
Rambo888
Copper-nicus
lazmaster

I took a quick look at the above post and momentarily panicked. I'm nice, I swear! I always apologize to people profusely as I Torturer chain them!

But now I see that's not me. Ah, relief.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:56:41 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:59:42 pm »
+2

I agree with theory ... This could be abused and get ugly really fast.

For instance, I once got into an argument on isotropic when someone accused me and the other player (it was a 3-player game) of getting "really lucky" with our Tournaments since he had bought the first Province and the most Tournaments and yet gotten third pick of the prizes.  But I had bought a Tactician and the other player had bought Native Villages, whereas Mr. "Unlucky" was relying on random chance to put his Tournaments and Province together. When I politely pointed out that this was a matter of strategy and not luck he accused me of being rude and combative and lots of other unreasonable things and eventually muted me.

I can imagine a person like that putting me on a list like this and that would be pretty terrible and unfair.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

nsnyder

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »

In 3000+ games I've only had 3 people I had terrible experiences with (I can't remember the third one's handle).  There's got to be some way to distinguish the 1/1000 outliers from ordinary behavior.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:02:38 pm »

I can imagine a person like that putting me on a list like this and that would be pretty terrible and unfair.
Also, I don't want to be a judge charged with arbitrating all these disputes.

nsnyder

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:20:02 pm »

That's why I only included people who were multiple offenders or called people offensive names.

nsnyder

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:22:02 pm »
+3

Actually a script to automatically mute people who use homophobic slurs might actually catch most of the really obnoxious players.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:28:31 pm »

I could get behind that. As long as it's not an unmoderated blacklist.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

nsnyder

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:42:42 pm »

What I wanted was something where you could just flag people as offensive, and if it happened too often the person would get banned.  But probably better would be to just automatically mute them for a month or something if they get flagged by 3 different people.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:44 pm »
+3

If it's only been three people in 5000 games, it should be easy enough to remember us.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 01:30:18 am »

We're a civil community, though. I highly doubt some random nobody would waltz into this thread, request to put a person on the blacklist, and everyone else being fine with it.

I also don't think we'd agree to blacklist someone unless there's evidence of repeated offenses.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 05:52:25 am »
+6

I would like to add theory, rrenaud, WanderingWinder, guided, Geronimoo, ackack and Thisisnotasmile to this list. They are all horrible people who shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 05:59:38 am »

I loll'ed at the last one.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 06:45:12 am »

I've encountered 3 people on isotropic/this forum I can think of that I would consider eing somewhere between rude/obnoxious/moronic. Overall, not too big a deal for me, seeing as I've met/played quite a lot of people in total, and after a while you just start rolling your eyes at those outliers.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:39 am »

Oh, if you want to report someone on this forum, then PMing me (or reporting the post in question) is absolutely encouraged.  Isotropic is of course another story.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 02:12:30 pm »
+4

I would like to add theory, rrenaud, WanderingWinder, guided, Geronimoo, ackack and Thisisnotasmile to this list. They are all horrible people who shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.
Captain Frisk? More like Captain Frisky.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 02:17:16 pm »
+1

So this one time, I played against theory and he beat me said horrible, horrible things to me. Independently verified!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »
+17

The worst is playing Donald X. on the playtest version of Isotropic.  He'll just like, change the card rules in the middle of the game on you.

"Oh, you want to play Militia on me?  Sorry, I just ruled that my Copper is now a Treasure-Reaction that lets me gain a Province for each card I discard.  You know, errata."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »
+17

The worst is playing Donald X. on the playtest version of Isotropic.  He'll just like, change the card rules in the middle of the game on you.

"Oh, you want to play Militia on me?  Sorry, I just ruled that my Copper is now a Treasure-Reaction that lets me gain a Province for each card I discard.  You know, errata."
That's nothing. When you play against Doug Z., he changes the leaderboard algorithm until you're at the bottom.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 03:08:30 pm »

The recent thread about decline of civility on Istropic reminds me that I would really like to have a list somewhere of the people who are rude and obscene so that I can avoid playing them.  In particular, I've had several terrible experiences with yourface.  I just had a game where ddubois was very rude (and he came up three times in the civility thread as an example of someone being particularly rude and obscene).  Could we come up with a good list of the people to avoid?

Everyone gets frustrated now and then, but people who are frequently rude, obscene, or offensive just aren't fun to play with.

I've played 2 games with yourface, 1 win and 1 loss, and had no bad experience in either one... I don't think we talked at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 04:57:28 pm »
+3

You should avoid that Kirian guy.  He spent his whole last game cursing at me.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.