Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: People to avoid on isotropic  (Read 94155 times)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: People to avoid on isotropic
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2012, 08:51:44 am »

That's exactly the kind of player I do avoid.  If people start insulting me in random ways I consider that quite funny, but I really, really despise the bad loser.

Apparently some ''good winners'' just can't admit that they got lucky. I suspect it is ego thing: huge ego + stubbornness = can't face truth, so they find it easier to take truth as insult so that their ego doesn't get hurt.
On the flip side, pointing out times you get lucky and blaming it solely on luck seems like someone with a huge ego too.  I'm not saying its you, just that bad losers aren't so different from "good winners"

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2012, 09:22:52 am »

As luck is so clearly a big part of this game, you're going to look like an idiot if you're berating the other guy for his good luck.

If I say someone won because they got lucky in hitting the KC + mountebank.  Or they merely opened a 5/2 on a mountebank board, do I look like an idiot?

What if that is me talking about my own win?  Why is this not symmetric?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2012, 09:39:15 am »

Argh! Probability, not luck!

If I pull a similar move that has a 10% chance and it comes off against person A, I could have played it 9 times against someone else and not done it
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2012, 09:42:07 am »

I actually had a funny game this week. I told my opponent gg turn before last. He took it to mean I had 8 in hand and didn't buy the PUP. 2 turns later I won. If not for that lucky misunderstanding... Sometimes it pays to be polite :-)

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:22 am »
+3

As luck is so clearly a big part of this game, you're going to look like an idiot if you're berating the other guy for his good luck.

If I say someone won because they got lucky in hitting the KC + mountebank.  Or they merely opened a 5/2 on a mountebank board, do I look like an idiot?

What if that is me talking about my own win?  Why is this not symmetric?

If you're talking about your own win, you're giving the other guy the benefit of the doubt.  You're saying that he played as well as you did, but lost due to circumstances beyond his control.  It's a gesture of respect.

If you're talking about your own loss, you're saying that the other guy's victory was due (at least in part) to chance.  You're knocking him down a peg by saying he shouldn't have won or shouldn't have won by such a margin.  If it's someone you've played a lot and there's a mutual understanding that you have similar skill levels, that might be an okay thing to say.  Saying it to a stranger is pretty rude, though.

That all said, I'll point out luck events during the game, mostly just to make conversation ("wow," "ouch," "nice hand," or rarely "I can't draw $6 to save my life").

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:43 am »
+2

Argh! Probability, not luck!

If I pull a similar move that has a 10% chance and it comes off against person A, I could have played it 9 times against someone else and not done it

So I can' say I got lucky? I have to say I got probability-y? No, you can't measure luck like you can probability, since it's somewhat of a subjective, colloquial term. But that doesn't make it not a real thing.

And technically speaking, you could also have that 10% chance come off 10 out of 10 times. That would be pretty lucky if you ask me.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

Don't tap the glass...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:07 am »

Don't tap the glass...

Aw. But glass-tapping is one of my favorite hobbies.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:54 am »
+2

A lot of players have a really good eye for finding luck in their opponent's draws while not seeing their own luck. I've had series of games with a lot of luck on one side (mine or my opponent's) and later the luck changes in the other player's favor. A lot of the times this happens the other player often complains while I'm lucky and says nothing while being lucky themselves. I'm not saying I'm better than the rest of the players, but I usually say something when my KC collides with my Mountebank on turn 6.

AndrewRogue

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2012, 10:12:43 am »
+1

As early as I'll say GG is once I've bought the 3rd pile/last Colony/last Province, but before I've hit End Turn. I just like to get the chance to say it.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »

23:09 MensRightsVoiceYourVoice: gl hf if u a mens
23:09 MensRightsVoiceYourVoice: stfu if u a womens
23:36 MensRightsVoiceYourVoice: gg stuopid womens back 2 kitchen now go

Certainly just a troll but still....

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2012, 01:23:11 am »
+3

18:32 blueblimp: hi gl hf
18:34 ARTjoMS: lucky
18:35 blueblimp: oh getting the remake on 2x estate?
18:35 blueblimp: yeah that is nice, I hate it when it hits only copper
18:35 ARTjoMS: and buying silver in same turn
18:35 ARTjoMS: chances of that lucky very small
18:36 ARTjoMS: no gg
18:36 blueblimp: lol
18:36 ARTjoMS: pure luck
18:36 ARTjoMS has returned to the lobby.
Hardly someone to avoid.  He was just a little bitter.
-//-.... is 5.3%. Not that unlikely, really.

What?

If my opponent gets unlucky and i get free win i cooperate with him rather make a hero of myself like you did.

This is exactly why I think this thread is harmful. Neither was particularly rude outside of bitterness about luck, but it gets posted on here and a harmless exchange becomes not only a potentially community-damaging issue, but also a center of pointless, pedantic discussion (yes, including my post here).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:42:54 pm by O »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:42 am »
+1

These "you won because you got lucky!" people are really barking up the wrong tree.

When I lose, I always say: "Well, of course I lost. I went second, didn't I!?" ;)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »

A lot of players have a really good eye for finding luck in their opponent's draws while not seeing their own luck. I've had series of games with a lot of luck on one side (mine or my opponent's) and later the luck changes in the other player's favor. A lot of the times this happens the other player often complains while I'm lucky and says nothing while being lucky themselves. I'm not saying I'm better than the rest of the players, but I usually say something when my KC collides with my Mountebank on turn 6.

This isn't restricted to just Dominion, this is how people see the whooole of life usually.
Some people remember just the good times and think they are lucky
Some people remember mainly the bad things and think they are unlucky
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2012, 04:44:33 am »

10:59 def: wow, that is a weak, weak board.
10:59 ARTjoMS: why did u veto pwn?
10:59 ARTjoMS: only+buy
10:59 def: that's why
10:59 def: I thought you may go ambassador->engine
11:00 def: which I wanted to block.
11:00 ARTjoMS: meh didnt want it
11:01 ARTjoMS: stupid, but interesting
11:01 def: with pawn, something like counting house coppersmith would have been interesting.
11:02 ARTjoMS: that was my initial plan... but you vetoed pawn... :( :)
11:03 def: disconnects ftw..
11:04 def: you definitely need another copper ;)
11:04 ARTjoMS: why?
11:04 ARTjoMS: i got coppersmith
11:04 def: would be even more fun, 8 coppers -> province
11:08 def: see, there you would have needed one more copper.^^
11:12 ARTjoMS: that was no less no more than birthday present
11:13 ARTjoMS: and you dont even thnak me
11:13 def: ?
11:15 def: what are you talking about?
11:15 ARTjoMS: last game
11:16 def: yeah...I won because we chose different tactics and mine wasn't too complicated, so?
11:16 ARTjoMS: i took clearly inferior strat knowing it, and you got free win
11:16 ARTjoMS: and you dont even thank me
11:16 def: lol
11:17 def: that's the most stupid thing I heard in a long time
11:17 def: nobody forced you to do so
11:17 ARTjoMS: that is the most afwul thing i have heard
11:17 ARTjoMS: when someone gives you present
11:17 ARTjoMS: and you dont say thank yuo.. just because they didnt have to do it
11:18 def: did I ask for a present? do I even have birthday? no. Plus, you started being rude in leaving immediately without saying anything.
11:18 ARTjoMS: rude lol.
11:19 ARTjoMS: leaving is rude?
11:19 ARTjoMS: you didnt say thank you
11:19 ARTjoMS: that is rude
11:34 def: and a lucked megaturn at the end didn't even help you. no gg, since you played shitty again, and get rid of your mental illness soon.
11:34 def has returned to the lobby.

Good flames :) Maybe i got ''mental illness'', but this guy is definitely smoking something illegal.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:57 am »
+4

I don't see anything particularly horrifying there, but at the same time I don't think either of you can claim the moral high ground. This topic is getting a bit pathetic now.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2012, 06:16:39 am »

I don't see anything particularly horrifying there, but at the same time I don't think either of you can claim the moral high ground. This topic is getting a bit pathetic now.

Yes, agreed, your post is indeed a bit pathetic. :)
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2012, 07:59:53 am »

Yeah, finally I got mentioned here, since I can get pretty pissed off when I'm losing four games in a row because of bad luck and probably deserve it in this cases.

But this...what the heck was wrong with you there?

To clarify things, there were two games. In the first game, I played simple BM+? (Oracle? Bureaucrat?) where he went for some village village counting house coppersmith thing, which was cool, but couldn't work without some big card draw, attacks, +buy or trashing. As you can see, I had no problems with some little nice chat.
The first game ended between 11:08 and 11:12 where he left so immediately that my gg didn't appear in the log.
Afterwards, I have no idea what he was talking about.
I started to ignore things at 11:19 and felt no reason to leave without some harsh, sarcastic remark about his behaviour and play (he seemed to randomly embargoing victory cards while behind, dragging out the game for far too long). I think this was my only rude comment during the whole chat, and since he is just some random guy on the internet provoking a little quarrel, I don't care. I really felt like he was suffering from loss of reality, since his words made absolutely no sense to me. Birthday present, thank him, what the hell?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:07:46 am by def »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
+7

OK.

Theory?  RR?  I'm gonna ask for a lock on this thread.

Discussions of incivility have their own thread, and people are now calling other board members out directly, which cannot lead to anything good.  This thread serves no useful purpose that I can see.

Also, you still need to avoid that Kirian guy.  He's a total jerk.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2012, 12:02:46 am »
+2

I've deleted my recent posts, if that helps. In hindsight, they were inappropriate for this thread, as others have pointed out.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2012, 02:13:17 am »

Discussions of incivility have their own thread, and people are now calling other board members out directly, which cannot lead to anything good.  This thread serves no useful purpose that I can see.

I disagree.  In fact, I think that one of the reasons that Isotropic is such a civil place on the whole (let's be far, by the internet's stand it is) is because the community is fairly small and people think that if they act like an ass the word will get out in places like this.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:34 am »

I disagree.  In fact, I think that one of the reasons that Isotropic is such a civil place on the whole (let's be far, by the internet's stand it is) is because the community is fairly small and people think that if they act like an ass the word will get out in places like this.

I think the asses won't care.

There are plenty of people who will accept their challenges because they don't read this forum.

And even if the jerks are held accountable for their actions, they can just change their names. This can actually be harmful to a new player. If there is a popular name (say, Batman), then it's possible that some jerk can get the name dragged through the mud on these forums. He leaves it, and some new player decides to log in with that name. Suddenly, he's the bad guy, and other players say things like, "Avoid that Batman. He's a real asshole."

That's not to say that there isn't something useful about having two users air their disagreements, but I don't think that the real jerks out there will change their behavior because of this thread.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2012, 10:32:17 am »
+1

OK.

Theory?  RR?  I'm gonna ask for a lock on this thread.

Also, you still need to avoid that Kirian guy.  He's a total jerk.
Sorry, I've been travelling this weekend and getting all my stuff back to the US.

I agree, though, that a bad topic has gotten much worse.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.