Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Smugglers?  (Read 2184 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Smugglers?
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:34:16 am »
+2

Code: [Select]
Transmute, Lighthouse, Smugglers, Wishing Well, Militia, Silk Road, Junk Dealer, Laboratory, Mystic, Nobleshttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141001/log.506b9e370cf21d2313f96ad7.1412212835073.txt

I got dominated by Smugglers on this board.  In hindsight, it seems like it is just a good card here, but who knows, I'm sure I played badly in several ways here.  My hopeless last ditch effort was to buy lots of VP and hope Silk Road could save me, but all of that just got Smuggled too...

So...
Is Smugglers a key card here?
and
If so, any pointers on how to identify what type of board vaults it out of the trash tier and into relevance?  (No key terminals to compete with it?)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: Smugglers?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:37 am »
+2

Smugglers is good here. For smugglers, I'd start with buying it, unless there is a reason to skip it. If a potion card dominates the board, that's a reason to skip it, because you can't smuggle it. If there are ways for your opponent to progress without gaining cards (e.g. by trashing with steward/amb/chapel), that's probably a reason to skip it. If you have too many terminals, that might be a reason. Cards with on-buy effects, like masterpiece, can sometimes be a reason. If 4$'s dominate the board, and 5$/6$'s won't be bought, that's probably a reason.

Here, the only other terminal that matters is militia, which is just not as good as smugglers. Junk dealer is also not a reason to ignore smugglers, you want several of them, so smuggling them is good, and they produce money, so your opponent will likely buy a card on the turns where he is trashing with them. Gold and Lab, maybe Nobles are good here, all of them can be smuggled. No on-buy effects, no relevant potion cards.

So, there is no reason to skip it -> you should buy it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »

There's also no +buy in conjunction with several smuggle-able Victory cards in the kingdom.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:52:32 pm »
+3

If so, any pointers on how to identify what type of board vaults it out of the trash tier and into relevance?  (No key terminals to compete with it?)

Smugglers usually is a strong card when you're playing someone who knows what he's doing whose name isn't Mic Qsenoch (you don't want to Smuggle the crap he buys... and beats you with).

Here is a very weird game I played against AI last month where we are both forced to ignore Grand Market, Border Village and Baker (past the early game) because with each of us having multiple Smugglers, getting a single copy of such a card is very risky.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:01:03 pm »

I'd actually say that you should skip smugglers unless you need it. Isotropic stats seemed to back that up. There are however reasons why smugglers are good in this kingdom. Firstly there are victory cards you can smuggle and both silk roads and nobles are likely to come into play. Secondly there is a lot you can do in this kingdom but there's little point spending time preparing a fantastic deck that can only buy one card each turn. Smugglers (and even transmute) let you build faster and score more later by gaining cards. Most of the kingdom cards would be useful to smuggle too, no matter how unhelpful your opponent tries to be.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:04:05 pm »

If you get smugglers when it's bad, it's very bad. This probably is the reason for the isotropic stats. I'm finding however that it is often a mandatory card to get, which I think it is here.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 04:44:59 pm »

Smugglers is bad in big money, and not great vs big money. But if there's any kind of building going on, it's usually pretty good. It's like a better version of Workshop.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.091 seconds with 20 queries.