Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I'm regressing into a dominion noob  (Read 2279 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
I'm regressing into a dominion noob
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:53:37 am »
+5

I don't much care about playing with people on goko, and have very few opportunities to play face to face, so I just play bots all day, and it's gotten to the point where I just play whatever seems fun rather than what actually works.  I buy way too many terminals, I keep building my engine with four provinces gone, I buy Black Market and other fun cards just because I can....I'm slowly forgetting how to actually play this game well but I'm not sure how I feel about that.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
Re: I'm regressing into a dominion noob
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:41:53 am »
+1

I'm in the same boat about who I play with; interacting online while gaming has never appealed much to me. What really drew me into Dominion was how the cool cards interact. I have a new taste for the strategy of the game since watching pro videos, but I still fall victim to preferring the random and unpredictable (especially Black Market). I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the game. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:48:03 pm »

It's ironic that both of you mentioned Black Market, considering that it's a card touted as very powerful and high-skill (in addition to high-luck) by a number of the top players (see, e.g. here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11768.msg418654#msg418654)

I understand where you're coming from Tombolo. When playing time-killing games on Androminion, I frequently find myself overbuilding like crazy.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »
+1

It's ironic that both of you mentioned Black Market, considering that it's a card touted as very powerful and high-skill (in addition to high-luck) by a number of the top players (see, e.g. here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11768.msg418654#msg418654)

I understand where you're coming from Tombolo. When playing time-killing games on Androminion, I frequently find myself overbuilding like crazy.

It's not so much that Black Market can't utilize skill; it just makes crazy, unfocused, impulsive buys more attractive than any other card does.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 04:32:03 pm »

It's not so much that Black Market can't utilize skill; it just makes crazy, unfocused, impulsive buys more attractive than any other card does.
Actually I find with BM that I'm much more careful about what I buy.  Specifically I'll look very closely at what's in the BM deck, whether it fills a niche that's missing in the rest of the kingdom, how important it is to get that effect, and so forth.  Not to mention tracking the BM deck so you have an idea whether you or the opponent is likely to get one of the important cards that may have already been seen and skipped.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »

I'm sort of the same now. Almost the only time I ever play anymore is every once in a while on the base-only, terrible-AI, iPad Dominion app. And when I mean terrible AI, I mean really terrible. I've seen him open Duchy/Nothing on a Witch/Chapel board. But I'll still lose almost a quarter of the time because I just want to try whatever random crazy fun thing there is, instead of really playing to win.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »
+6

I'm sort of the same now. Almost the only time I ever play anymore is every once in a while on the base-only, terrible-AI, iPad Dominion app. And when I mean terrible AI, I mean really terrible. I've seen him open Duchy/Nothing on a Witch/Chapel board. But I'll still lose almost a quarter of the time because I just want to try whatever random crazy fun thing there is, instead of really playing to win.

What how can duchy/nothing lose? Your doubling the opponents score so fast that theres no way they can catch up!

I completely have never even realized duchy was a option in a 5/2 start. I guess bots can teach you something new.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.