Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can Salvager detect if opponent is on iPad?  (Read 3765 times)

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Can Salvager detect if opponent is on iPad?
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:38:52 am »
+5

I love playing dominion on my iPad.  There is, as is commonly known, one very large flaw with it though, in that you cannot access the chat window.  This makes me feel really bad when a user says "hello good luck!" or something and I can't respond, but even worse than tact is when it affects things because of the chrome extension.

The main thing is that when an opponent with the extension turns on the vp counter, it puts me at a real disadvantage since I can't access the counter in any way.  This happened to me recently in a vineyards game and I think wound up allowing my opponent to nab the tie when I may have been able to prevent it otherwise (http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140930/log.5163198ce4b0ad9d0694acf9.1412108829010.txt).

I thought of a couple solutions to this.  One is that I always put #vpoff in games I create, but this makes it so I can never join someone else's game.  I was wondering if there is any way to detect the browser of the opponent and auto type some message from them saying that they are on a mobile device and can't chat and automatically keep vpoff.  My gut tells me this is impossible, but just in case it is, it may be a cool feature to add. 

A totally separate discussion is there some standardized thing to put in the game title to tell everyone that I can't chat because I'm on an iPad?  nochat (seems like I don't want to chat, rather than I can't chat), iPad (not sure if everyone is aware of the iPad issue so I don't know if that is effective). 

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Re: Can Salvager detect if opponent is on iPad?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:37:58 pm »
+1

I like this and have added a feature request for it.  View or discuss the request here.  Contribute to the bounty for this feature here.

A totally separate discussion is there some standardized thing to put in the game title to tell everyone that I can't chat because I'm on an iPad?  nochat (seems like I don't want to chat, rather than I can't chat), iPad (not sure if everyone is aware of the iPad issue so I don't know if that is effective).

There is.  You can add an automated message to be sent at the start of each game.  You'd need to be able to type that message into your iPad to activate it though (at least once) because it's stored locally.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »

Alternatively, perhaps it would be better if Salvager tweaked the chat so that you could actually use your keyboard on an iPad. Apologies if this has been discussed before and is infeasible.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »

I like this and have added a feature request for it.  View or discuss the request here.  Contribute to the bounty for this feature here.

There is.  You can add an automated message to be sent at the start of each game.  You'd need to be able to type that message into your iPad to activate it though (at least once) because it's stored locally.

So, just so I am understanding, if you set the automatic message to be "#vpoff", then it will turn off the point counter?

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:34 pm »

I don't think that he is using Salvager on Ipad.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:32 pm »

Alternatively, perhaps it would be better if Salvager tweaked the chat so that you could actually use your keyboard on an iPad. Apologies if this has been discussed before and is infeasible.
Can you even install Salvager on an iPad?  Does that version of Safari support extensions? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, a quick google search did not provide a clear answer.)
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »

Can you even install Salvager on an iPad?  Does that version of Safari support extensions? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, a quick google search did not provide a clear answer.)

Could someone who actually has an iPad chime in here?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 03:33:04 pm »

chrome on my ipad doesn't seem to use any of my extensions (which are typically carried from device to device).  playing dominion on ipad w/chrome, I have no access to any salvager features.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

ravi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:29:04 pm »

Yeah you can't run salvager on an iPad that's why I was asking if there is some way to detect if your opponent is on an iPad. Probably a lot trickier or impossible but it would let you know that they can't chat or use the vp counter.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »

Yeah you can't run salvager on an iPad that's why I was asking if there is some way to detect if your opponent is on an iPad. Probably a lot trickier or impossible but it would let you know that they can't chat or use the vp counter.

Well okay then!  Github issue closed!

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »

Someone in this thread is using Salvager on Ipad by VirtualChrome App.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10255

Not sure if it works now.

ravi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 11:24:28 am »

Someone in this thread is using Salvager on Ipad by VirtualChrome App.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10255

Not sure if it works now.
Sadly that requires Virtual Chrome which I don't feel like buying.

So you are saying it is, indeed, not possible to get your opponent's browser?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 12:34:47 pm »

So you are saying it is, indeed, not possible to get your opponent's browser?

Probably not.  You're not directly communicating with your opponent's computer, only with Goko.  It's conceivable that Goko's WebSocket interface makes that information available somehow, but I've never seen it.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.